Post your home studio

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Re: Post your home studio

Post by Analog-X64 »

Mordi wrote:That looks nice, Analog-X64. I notice you have two sets of keyboards/mice. What kind of monitors do you have? I will be looking at getting a desk of some sort and some monitors down the line. Not sure which monitors I should choose, and whether or not I should buy a desk instead of building one myself.
Thanks. :) Two sets of of keyboards / mice because there are 2 computers. The monitors are all ViewSonic been buying them since the 90's and have had good luck with them. NEC's are as well a good brand to get. Buying a prebuilt desk is the easiest route, but then building one yourself is more satisfying and you can customize to the way you want.

Why two computers? The one on my left is for Audio / Graphics production. The one on the right is general purpose gaming etc.. but also acts as testing / prestaging some of the audio / graphics production.

The way everything is connected. With the computer on the Right I can use all 3 monitors at once.
The computer onthe left can output to the left / middle monitor for dual monitor setup.

Both computers are previous generation Quad Core systems and have 8 GB of ram Each. Intel Core 2 Quad and AMD A8-3870

I also have 6 Core 2 Duo systems to assist with 3D Rendering when needed. Still images or Animation.

All this shouldn't surprise anybody, considering my background is I.T. :)
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

Thanks everyone for sharing their studio images, they are great :) Nice to see where the creative output comes from.
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

Somehow I've always envy'ed those "In The Box" studios... just a screen, a computer, and a controller... a pair of monitors and then that's it.... always look nice and orderly, and really compact.

Unfortunately this will never be how my studio will look... Hardware takes up a lot of space, and you should see the floor behind the studio desk :roll: ... All those audio and MIDI cables are a mess.

This is also one of the reasons the studio desk is placed about 1 metre from the back wall... that way I can get "back there" and fiddle around... and then of course because of the audio... read somewhere, that the optimal position to sit should be about 38% from the front wall of the room (something about wavelength, standing waves etc).

Now I only need to get something to treat the room... but there is always some gear I need first, so it's delayed over and over again.

The latest addition is another ONYX mixer... Even though I've got that ONYX 24.4 mixer, I'm running out of channels and have been thinking for a while about getting myself a 32 channel mixer... but I really don't want to shed out that amount of money on just 8 channels more, so I decided to get an ONYX 1220 with 12 channels more instead, as a submixer... it's going to be holding all of my digital synths that don't need a lot of AUX sends for effects (they have build in effects), and then connect this to the main ONYX 24.4

This allow me to have each synth on their own set of channels, each with inserts for outboard FX units, EQ, FX Sends and routing to Group Busses.

Next purchase will be a DSI Prophet '08 and Prophet '12 ... I'm also looking into a drummachine, but are still not certain about what to get... I have the new ELEKTRON Analog Rytm amd Machinedrum on the list so far.
Regards, Jess D. Skov-Nielsen (Razmo).
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

I've got loads of great audio cables to sell to make space for the loft... do you think I ought to eBay them in small batches or just the lot of them? There are some quite long double phonos, for instance. Must have spent a fortune on cables in the dim and distant...
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

When I've seen cables sold (used), they usualy come in big batches, since buyers usualy want to feel that they get a lot, for a little.. I don't think it would be a quick sell if they were put in small batches, but you could try it out like that first to see if some of them goes... the rest you could put up as a big batch... just don't expect much for them, unless it's quality cables... :)

and pictures... important... if I were to buy used cables one day, I'd definitely want pictures, so that I can see what I'm getting... preferbly in batches, sorted etc. so it is clear what you're selling.
Regards, Jess D. Skov-Nielsen (Razmo).
Commie_User
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Commie_User »

Oh, most certainly Ebay them. Everyone loves quality cabling at good secondhand prices.

And if you can't take a good picture, then there's no point in the aesthetic. Plus In my case, the pictures are handy just to remind me all I've got!

`<br /><br />They chart your progress. Things HAVE changed at mine.<br /><br />http://www.remix64.com/board/download/file.php?id=745<br />_
`

They chart your progress. Things HAVE changed at mine.

http://www.remix64.com/board/download/file.php?id=745
_
Was the place THIS empty at one point.jpg (66.21 KiB) Viewed 16766 times

`<br /><br />Just look at it now. 1982? EVERY year in here's Information Technology Year. (The information gleaned from such good fun.)<br /><br />_
`

Just look at it now. 1982? EVERY year in here's Information Technology Year. (The information gleaned from such good fun.)

_
digitalez.jpg (91.86 KiB) Viewed 16765 times

What's more, you have to admit, a set of good photos are pretty majestic. Something to admire in the days when the pics are all you have.

`<br /><br />Even the mike stands hail such a godly-sounding drum kit.<br /><br /><br />_
`

Even the mike stands hail such a godly-sounding drum kit.

_
Camera Master Shots 137.JPG (148.02 KiB) Viewed 16766 times

No wonder I can't resist slamming them up at any flimsy opportunity!
Mordi
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by Mordi »

Here's a nice source of information for those of us who are interested in mixing/recording: http://www.reddit.com/r/audioengineering/
Lots of great advice and interesting stuff there.
Check out my website.
Commie_User
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Commie_User »

Thanks Mordi. You know, there's such a lot online, you need scarcely buy any manuals. For our purposes at least, it's all free, right down to the DAWs and plugins.

And certainly for my purposes.....
`<br /><br />One of the beer bottle xylophone 'bars', plus an album of how one of the REAL guys would do it.<br /><br />_
`

One of the beer bottle xylophone 'bars', plus an album of how one of the REAL guys would do it.

_
dinger.jpg (61.39 KiB) Viewed 16714 times

`<br /><br />Surely a classic beer's enough to go with that. Royal Wedding and D-Day 40th Anniversary editions.<br /><br />_
`

Surely a classic beer's enough to go with that. Royal Wedding and D-Day 40th Anniversary editions.

_
drinky cellar.jpg (80.14 KiB) Viewed 16714 times

Refreshing. I think I'll have the violin one now, with effects! Talk about a human sound chip.

See, you don't need the same gear as everyone else.
Mordi
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by Mordi »

Hanged up three more sound-deadeners the other day. Four total in the room so far, with two more yet to be made.
Check out my website.
Commie_User
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Commie_User »

That's looking very professional.
Commie_User
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Commie_User »

That gear was well worth the investment, Mordi. It'll be good to hear those finished.

And back at my place, a change of desk makes for a prettier corner. And this is before the extra screens are added to have as many micros monitored at once.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 9447_n.jpg
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

It'll look like Retro NASA when you've finished!
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
Commie_User
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Commie_User »

Well I do hope so. I can so do much at once now, especially with obsolete tellies for LESS than a fiver to view the RF switching.

Big: https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 5522_n.jpg

10 screens across the place now, including laptop. And to think I once thought two an extravagance.

And also to think what all this junk shop cost back in the day! The lads here could be very surprised if they looked again under old rocks.
druu
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by druu »

I thought I dig this up and share my setup.

Well, here it is: http://imgur.com/a/ZiZ3F

Enjoy!