Any C64 remake I should be doing?

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
Little Jester

Any C64 remake I should be doing?

Post by Little Jester »

Hey all,

I have to introduce myself first I guess, being new to the forum and all.
My name is Jeffrey and there is a slight chance that someone just might know me from this little electronic project called Easily Embarrassed.
Small chance though. It's not that known outside a certain niche :)

A couple of weeks ago I was hacking away with a new version of our favourite DAW, flooding my trusty Nord Lead 2x with loads and loads of midi data. I then figured I could program the damn thing 'the c64 way'. So I cooked up a little demo for fun, where I shoot for a C64 SID style while mostly using the Nord:
https://soundcloud.com/little-jester/mr-nord

A week later I reused that project to do something for myself: Remake my personal all time favourite Martin Galway's Parallax title screen music!
Always thought that track could only be played from an original SID to do it justice, but now that I could go for 'upgraded sound' I thought, maybe I could capture the magic and maybe add some bells and whistles from the EE library to make it 2015 worthy, making it something I can listen to instead of the much thinner sounding C64 original. The result was posted here:

https://soundcloud.com/little-jester/ma ... tle-jester

It's queued as release for this site as well. So maybe it'll appear here, if accepted.

Anyway, I absolutely loved the process and the result of remaking that track. I now feel like doing at least one other remake in the near future.
At first I thought I'd be doing Green Beret, but I found we already have a nice version from Matt Gray on that one, so that put me on the fence with that. Seems like a waste if there is already something nice out there to fill a playlist with.

So now I was wondering if you guys here have any suggestions of anything that desperately needs remaking that would also fit the style I'm able to go for... I'm asking cause I simply don't know of what has been properly remade already and what not, since I'm relatively new to this remixing scene and all. + I might get a suggestion that totally surprises me as something I have never thought of before, but would really be great to do.

Your input would be really appreciated. Thanks!
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Re: Any C64 remake I should be doing?

Post by Chris Abbott »

Anything where there's less than three covers on remix.kwed.org :) (which is quite a few). Also there are some very popular SIDs with some very little-covered subtunes. For instance, hardly anyone has done the second tune of Knucklebusters, and even something like Crazy Comets only ever has the main theme done. Tim Follin's directory is full of SIDs that haven't been covered much, as are Fred Gray's, David Whittaker's (some of his early stuff is gratifyingly chunky), Paul Norman's, Ben Daglish's... and pretty much everyone else!
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
Little Jester

Post by Little Jester »

Awesome suggestion Chris. Cheers!
I've put together a playlist for today and get myself educated on some more obscure stuff.

Speaking of Follin, whenever I hear his name I'm immediately thinking Solstice / NES! That soundtrack was sooo amazing.
He stands out for me from the Nintendo era. Ashamed I never really dived into his C64 works with that great detail... yet. Time to do so!
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

Welcome to the board Jester :) tracks sounds great :)
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
Little Jester

Post by Little Jester »

Cheers Analog!
And thanks :D
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

Welcome Jester!! :cheers:
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Post by Vosla »

I second that welcome.
All is lost.
Mordi
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by Mordi »

Dive randomly into the HVSC archive, and you might find some gold. I keep a list of cool tunes I come across. I think that's a nice approach to it. Just a tip! :cheers:
Check out my website.
empee
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by empee »

Take a look at this thread. I think you could make wonders with it.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10479

Xilukarim tried a trance-like approach (SoundCloud link looks dead now),
but the world sure needs more of Erebus. :)