What Styles..

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
tEiS

What Styles..

Post by tEiS »

are here accepted on remix64? ..

like, it seems to me some totally disklike or don't have any sence of house music ;-) ..

this site is meant for remixes, no matter what style, right ?

i already fear posting my Last Ninja II - Central Park remix, because it's a rough d&b remix.

anyways .. hello to all musicians :-)
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Re: What Styles..

Post by Analog-X64 »

tEiS wrote:are here accepted on remix64? ..

like, it seems to me some totally disklike or don't have any sence of house music ;-) ..

this site is meant for remixes, no matter what style, right ?

i already fear posting my Last Ninja II - Central Park remix, because it's a rough d&b remix.

anyways .. hello to all musicians :-)
Lets hear it man!! Bring it on.

Where is a download link?
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
trace
Forum God
Forum God

Post by trace »

Yeah as Analog-X64 said: Bring it on :D

New styles are very welcome, Me myself is doing some real changes in my music style now so it will be fun to hear what all think of THAT :shock: :duh: :D

Only fear you should have is that Last ninja has been done a "milion times", but new remix style of last ninja is allways nice to hear :D :cheers:
(Carpe Diem Seize the day)
Soundcloud PowerTrace
c64-> /various/M-r/Noise_of_SID
tEiS

Post by tEiS »

Analog-X64 wrote: Lets hear it man!! Bring it on.

Where is a download link?
ehm .. wait, need to check myself, haha :D

ok here:

http://www.remix64.com/tune_364300.html
trace wrote:Yeah as Analog-X64 said: Bring it on :D

New styles are very welcome, Me myself is doing some real changes in my music style now so it will be fun to hear what all think of THAT :shock: :duh: :D

Only fear you should have is that Last ninja has been done a "milion times", but new remix style of last ninja is allways nice to hear :D :cheers:
well but it seems doing house remixes of c64 isnt much liked here.. i've shown this track to none c64 music people, and they liked / loved it ..

anyways, about last ninja, well .. its no "usual remix / keeping the same style" remix .. that's pretty much boring :)

human race (goldrunner) a dude called dhs or so, made an marvellous remix .. loved it.. ofc my remix can't compete with it as mine is house only :D
BeeZerk
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by BeeZerk »

I think it's not the genre you do, more the how you do it. A good choon get always it's attention.
I did a couple of House cuts and the ppl always appreciate it and i get good feedback and response.
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

tEiS wrote: well but it seems doing house remixes of c64 isnt much liked here.. i've shown this track to none c64 music people, and they liked / loved it ..
None C64 Music people would not have the original SID as a point of reference and wont know if a note is place wrong here and there or things just dont sound right, compared to the original.

Now the track is not that bad at all, the BASS sounds is however overpowering everything... and I'm wondering if the overall sound has been influenced by the Amiga MOD. You did say that you had this as an Amiga MOD?

If a track has been uploaded and makes it onto R.K.O for download, that means it would have had to pass a certain criteria to get there... so the fact that you're tune is up there is an accomplishment in itself.

Listen to what people have commented on you're tune and take those comments and try to improve you'reself and think of it as a learning lesson and put it towards you're next tune.

There is a wide range of Remixes on R.K.O so if you got less than desirable comments, it has nothing to do with the Style, but more with the Production and execution of the remix.
tEiS

Post by tEiS »

Analog-X64 wrote:None C64 Music people would not have the original SID as a point of reference and wont know if a note is place wrong here and there or things just dont sound right, compared to the original.

Now the track is not that bad at all, the BASS sounds is however overpowering everything... and I'm wondering if the overall sound has been influenced by the Amiga MOD. You did say that you had this as an Amiga MOD?

If a track has been uploaded and makes it onto R.K.O for download, that means it would have had to pass a certain criteria to get there... so the fact that you're tune is up there is an accomplishment in itself.

Listen to what people have commented on you're tune and take those comments and try to improve you'reself and think of it as a learning lesson and put it towards you're next tune.

There is a wide range of Remixes on R.K.O so if you got less than desirable comments, it has nothing to do with the Style, but more with the Production and execution of the remix.
yea true about the original sid as reference. some others do have it and also like it alot.
about the bass overpowring everthing else, i've checked it again, and maybe it could have been abit more quiet,
but it doesnt sound overpowering. or do you mean the bass itself, like too much bass?

well i only had this mod as reference and had trouble finding out which artist made the original, which i still don't know yet. on amiga/atari it was rob hubbard and on c64 it has been 2-3 authors, no? also the names were pretty much confusing, human race / goldrunner. so i just sticked to the mod file :(

there is actually a check before any tune comes on to rko ? i thought it was some automatic upload system because it went so fast :)

well yea, maybe i'm gonna try to make an elektro version of it which some seemed to expected.
and the execution of it wasnt that bad, now? :)

and are there any d&b remixes on RKO ? .. you guys think the people would actually
accept d&b remixes?

(i'm better in that style :P )

but thanks for your answers, was helpful!
Dafunk
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Dafunk »

yes, there are d&b tracks on RKO, f.e. check out PeterW's awesome take on Spy vs. Spy!

http://remix.kwed.org/index.php?search=peter+w
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

Any style is accepted.

Rejects are solely based on the quality of the remix. Never hurts to give it a go! :)
Makke
gooooooood!
gooooooood!

Post by Makke »

I must say, that R64 and RKO voters are probably among the least style biased I've ever come across.

Most people look to the quality of idea, arrangement, and mixing. The style in itself is usually not as important, as long as the quality is high. Of course, there are a few people who'll always downvote a style they don't like (and even so, the style will most often not be the difference between Very Good and Poor), but the majority will most likely give a pretty fair vote. Plus, running around shouting that people vote your tune bad because of the style only makes you yourself look bad.

So I think the R64/RKO voters will give you as fair a judgment as a public vote will allow.
-.. .--- / .--. . .-. .--. .-.. . -..- / ..-. .- -. / -.-. .-.. ..- -... / .--. .-. . ... .. -.. . -. -
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

Makke wrote:I must say, that R64 and RKO voters are probably among the least style biased I've ever come across.

Most people look to the quality of idea, arrangement, and mixing.
So I think the R64/RKO voters will give you as fair a judgment as a public vote will allow.
You hit the nail on the head.... I couldnt have said it better.

I'm going to use myself as an example. I'm not too crazy about C64 Tunes remixed in the Orchestral Style, but I dont let the style dictate my vote. I can still appreciate the work that has gone into producing such a remix and give it a fair vote, and appropriate comment for the style.
Infamous
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Infamous »

Indeed with your human race tune i was personally expecting some kind of electro affair (like the new stuff thats floating about now.. fedde le grande, mason etc) and im pretty sure if it had carried on in that context it'd have come across pretty well as it stands it was a little disjointed but for a 1st effort its good and i think its got a yellow face too which really isnt bad at all (if you truly care about the voting system as a "voting system").

I look forward to hearing the D&B tune and if thats your predominent style then dont feel you have to change to suit everyone else if you like writing your music in that style then do that, as makke said this is one place where you dont have to be sociably acceptable musically to be sociably accepted, do what makes you happy and enjoy the advantages given to us for free and generously by lman/don kwed etc.

oh and welcome to the "scene" hehe :)
tEiS

Post by tEiS »

Makke wrote:I must say, that R64 and RKO voters are probably among the least style biased I've ever come across.

Most people look to the quality of idea, arrangement, and mixing. The style in itself is usually not as important, as long as the quality is high. Of course, there are a few people who'll always downvote a style they don't like (and even so, the style will most often not be the difference between Very Good and Poor), but the majority will most likely give a pretty fair vote. Plus, running around shouting that people vote your tune bad because of the style only makes you yourself look bad.

well yeah, i'm also more interested in how the "remix" was made, not in what style it has been made.
but i doubt i made my remix badly.. ok maybe one or more wrong notes, but that's because i didn't knew better.
i always try to be as perfect as possible, so those notes broke my neck there ;-)

and i don't want to make me look bad, it's people like these rather making me think i'm bad:

:( Amiga4eveR shouts: Menisk = tEiS??? ! (voting profile)

just because menisk got me the highest vote. actually menisk even asked for a flac version of the song.
Analog-X64 wrote:You hit the nail on the head.... I couldnt have said it better.

I'm going to use myself as an example. I'm not too crazy about C64 Tunes remixed in the Orchestral Style, but I dont let the style dictate my vote. I can still appreciate the work that has gone into producing such a remix and give it a fair vote, and appropriate comment for the style.
well yes. orchestral remixes would even get my attention abit more as i'm a big orchestral nerd ;D ..
but yea, if the work is done well, all is cool..
i still sense some people downvote ..for whatever reason. nevertheless, i feel comfy with my remix .. :P
Infamous wrote:Indeed with your human race tune i was personally expecting some kind of electro affair (like the new stuff thats floating about now.. fedde le grande, mason etc) and im pretty sure if it had carried on in that context it'd have come across pretty well as it stands it was a little disjointed but for a 1st effort its good and i think its got a yellow face too which really isnt bad at all (if you truly care about the voting system as a "voting system").
i dont know that style, can you be abit more precisely? :P .. nuskool breakz or miami bass ?
electro has a width range sub styles. dave tipper or thomas fehlmann? .. richard d james? :D
and ye, making house of it. i think i felt doing it because my mate is more a house/techno producer (daXX),
it was atleast for his musicdisk project :P
Infamous wrote: I look forward to hearing the D&B tune and if thats your predominent style then dont feel you have to change to suit everyone else if you like writing your music in that style then do that, as makke said this is one place where you dont have to be sociably acceptable musically to be sociably accepted, do what makes you happy and enjoy the advantages given to us for free and generously by lman/don kwed etc.

oh and welcome to the "scene" hehe :)
well i stopped producing remixes ages ago, i felt not being original doing remixes.
so now after years i started again, my paranoimia (felix schmidt) remix was completly d&b and boy,
alot disliked it .. even though it's very well made. ;)

you can never suite everyone ..

but again, thanks guys .. i'll try to make some more remixes, just need to know some nice c64 songs
as i never have had a c64 myself :)
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Post by Vosla »

At least guys around here have a listen before they nail you at the cross. :lol:

The bass did let my cola hop around the desk, even at very low volume level. I guess the guys are right when they say there is a tad bit too much in there.
You did stick a good amount to the original (no, I won't restart a remixed-to-death discussion).
As I got no talent in music myself I can't go into technical details but have to 'judge' it by stomach. It's certainly not my favorite version of goldrunner/human race but a nice start.

Styles are mostly irrelevant here. So remix away, dude! :)
All is lost.
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

Vosla wrote:At least guys around here have a listen before they nail you at the cross. :lol:
That in itself is something isnt it? People actually taking the time to Listen and Comment.