Timbaaaaaaaaaa!

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Re: Timbaaaaaaaaaa!

Post by Chris Abbott »

It's official with Suni. Court action is still proceeding for GRG's case. I know lawyers are lawyers, but the morally correct thing to have done was to join forces with GRG and get joint lawyers.

Chris
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
k_rostoen
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by k_rostoen »

Moral has a way to go down the drain when there's money involved. Since it's official with Janne, is there an official amount of money as well? Would be interesting to know how much this has cost Timbaland.
Experto credite!
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

Money is truly the root of all evil... however I wouldnt mind a few millions in my bank account... than I can fly to where you guys are and attend events and see Press Play on Tape Live. :)
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
FFRenzy
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by FFRenzy »

Analog-X64 wrote:Money is truly the root of all evil...
"It all makes perfect sense, when expressed in Dollars and Cents" - Roger Waters from the album "Amused to Death"
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO what a ride'
Lagerfeldt
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Lagerfeldt »

k_rostoen wrote:Moral has a way to go down the drain when there's money involved. Since it's official with Janne, is there an official amount of money as well? Would be interesting to know how much this has cost Timbaland.
I did a little math based on official sales, number of album tracks, average US mechanical royalty (which is always capped over there): Janne could receive around US$ 180.000 in mechanical copyright royalties (not to be compared to producer royalties) assuming a 33% split on the song writing. A third of the copyright would be fairly likely as both chords, bass and melody line was used.

Add performance rights, primarily in Europe, and you can add a 5 figure $ amount to the mechanical rights.

As they sampled from the song the record company would need to pay an amount for that too, usually a clearing flat fee, but now a case could be made for a residual (royalty) too. That would go to GRG as he holds the copyright to the actual sample. As Timbaland probably didn't tell the record label he would personally be responsible for paying this fee now.
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

I'm guessing they tossed him £10,000 and told him to go away.

That's not based on empirical evidence: I've no more idea about how it was settled than anybody, but it's the way things seem to work when big meets small.

Chris
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Seems like there will be a court date in Helsinki later this year between GRG and Timbaland's mob.

Chris
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

Chris Abbott wrote:Seems like there will be a court date in Helsinki later this year between GRG and Timbaland's mob.

Chris
Wow... these things do drag on dont they?

Thanks for the update.
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120