Big Article about C64, Remixing & Timba in German Newspapape

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Dr.Future
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Big Article about C64, Remixing & Timba in German Newspapape

Post by Dr.Future »

As mentioned in the "Fatal Server Crash"-Topic, I got interviewed by the German Newspaper "Wedel-Schulauer Tageblatt" the last week. The strange thing is that I didn't contact them, but they phoned me, because they wanted to write something about the remix-scene and remembered my name from BIT Live Germany. Today (26.09.) the article has been published. It's always funny to see how the editor takes your words, changes some, deletes some, adds a lot (!) and got his story... :mrgreen:

Anyway, I think it's mostly fun to read (if you understand german, sorry) and drives some more attention to the scene and Timbaland. It won't change the world, anyway... :P

Get the article here:
C64 Report 20070926

Maybe anyone could translate it for the public? any volunteers? :mrgreen:
Dr.Future - and music will never be the same!
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Re: Big Article about C64, Remixing & Timba in German Newspapape

Post by Razmo »

Dr.Future: Whatever the outcome or miniscule impact your article has had, you've surely done your part! ... hats of to that :wink:

And yes... German has never been my strong site... I'd like an english version please! :lol:
Regards, Jess D. Skov-Nielsen (Razmo).
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Post by Vosla »

German:

Code: Select all

Netter Artikel. :D
Dem Reporter ist da tatsächlich so ein bisserl das Pferd durchgegangen.  :lol: 

Das mit dem Nachwuchs ist so eine Sache. Die alten Fans werden halt eher weniger und die Jungen werden nicht ernst genug genommen.
English:

Code: Select all

Nice article.

The reporter seemed to exaggerate the whole thing here and there.
It's one thing with a new generation of fans. The old fans numbers are limited and the young ones aren't taken serious enough.
All is lost.
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

Quick and dirty translation part one...

The heart beats with 64 kilobytes

OLDSCHOOL-SOUND: The world of beeping and screaming computers / File against producer Timbaland

If anyone's looking for unusual hobbies, he'll find one at Volker Buckow from Wedel: the 34 year old is among the leading members of a world-wide remixing scene, that is dedicated to old computer game soundtracks.

BY ANDREAS DIRBACH

As "Pandora's Box" the Commodore 64 is described by die-hard computer freaks. With 17 million sold units it's the best selling homecomputer worldwide - and enjoys a cult status. A whole generation of now 25- to 35- year old has spent hours upon hours in front of the computer that has been first presented to the public in 1982. Volker Buckow from Wedel was one of them. Unlike many though, the 34-year old has never abandoned the "breadbin". That's because especially the music of the old games had touched something in him. "I had never played an instrument", recounts the man from Wedel. "But then again I wanted to be able to create complete tunes on the computer." Still today, he can't help laughing about his first song: "That was really bad."

That has changed in the meantime, because as "Dr.Future" he has made a name for himself. It took a while though, because only in 1994 and through the internet, Buckow came to realise: "There are loads of other maniacs like me. I'm not allone." Unfortunately, the scene community met in England, under the direction of the Composer Chris Abbott, at the "Back In Time Live" conventions. Only after releasing a remix of the "Hollywood Poker Pro" soundtrack (Original by Chris Hülsbeck) eight years ago, which was being celebrated as "remix of the month", he was on the "inside".

Today he counts himself among the approximately 40 people involved in keeping the memory of the "good old times" alive, when every bleep from the speakers had been cherished. He estimates the current count of fans of old comupter game soundtracks at a mere few thousands - even if almost everyone had owned a c64, Atari ST, or Amiga - and had listened to the catchy songs. Albeit: one adherent to the remix scene, Buckow can call by his name. None other than US music producer Timbaland (responsible for the success of Justin Timberlake, Destiny's Child and Aaliyah, among others) is supposed to download the mostly freely available sound files from the internet. Although not without leaving a bad taste, because he is alleged to have used a track called "Acidjazzed Evening", that had been published by a finnish remixer named Janne Sunni seven years ago, almost unaltered as the groundwork for the song "Do It" from the current Nelly Furtado album. A copyright claim has been filed against him and is ongoing. "Many other of Timband songs show a lot of influence from the c64 remixer scene, too", Buckow comments the reproaches. Who wants to make his own image, is to search for the keywords "Timbaland" and "c64" at http://www.youtube.com.

-- end of part one --
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

-- part two --

But the upcoming trial is just a marginal banter, because for the musical autodidact from Wedel, his own songs and remixes are more important. If he's not sitting in front of his computer - by now it is also a PC - and working on his songs, he plays in a band. "Organic Alliance" the combo calls itself, and prides itself in rarely having played in front of a crowd. Three times in total, the rock and alternative musicians have played a gig. Buckow plays the part of the band's technician and composer of the tunes. "I can't play live", he bluntly admits. He rather sits in front of the screen and lets the computer do the work.

Asked if he would count himself as a "freak", he negates. Because even as a teenager he - unlike many others he thought to be "socially not compatible" - never was a "fulltime nerd". He had spent at least as much of time in discos as in front of the computer: "Having a drink with the friends was equally important as breaking the Turrican 2 highscore, to me.", the 34-year old states.

What worries him though, is the survival of the scene he is part of. Because there can't be any new blood. It was just that very generation, that had been fascinated by the technology. Inwardly, he hopes to reunite them once again. E.g. like four years ago, when he organised an official german version of the "Back In Time Live" series in the "Shooters" venue in Wedel.

Until then he will keep spending his time with refining the sound of the old games, and with meeting up with the "breadbox", a beamer, and a couple of friends to have a C64 night every three months.
--- end ---
The image caption reads:
Volker Buckow from Wedel and his "Breadbin": a relation going steady for over 20 years.
Dr.Future
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Dr.Future »

Hey LMan, thanks a lot! Great work! :D
Dr.Future - and music will never be the same!