Project ST-01

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
d.a.wilson
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Are you Sure about Korg Poly-800

Post by d.a.wilson »

Hello all... Now we're making good progress homing in on the synths used to make ST-01 I keep finding myself coming back to the Korg Poly-800 as the problem is that several seem to think some of it's presets were used and yet after very carefully listening to the factory set several times now I not at all convinced. It's often possible with very careful listening to get a feel for the overall sound of a non sample based synth and this is the issue - I can't hear any characteristics of the Poly-800 in any of the suspected Korg originated ST-01 samples. So here's a question - if any of you are convinced otherwise can you give me some proof in terms of preset names vs ST-01 samples and I will check it out. There are several references to Korg in ST-01 I just have a gut feeling it's another (definitely analog!) Korg of the era - eg: MonoPoly or DW6000 or DW8000?? :help:

The presets Dangerous and strings 1 & 6 are of particular interest as they sound so odd - I actually wonder if at least a couple of the ST-01 samples (strings 6?) are derived from the Fairlight. - again any clues?

It's still looking like Roland D50 and Yamaha DX21 are the main culprits :)

Dan.
Resident vintage synth restorer, collector and user geek... :) ....
M.A.F
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Re: Project ST-01

Post by M.A.F »

What the hell is ST-01?

Ive still got a Korg Poly 800 mk1.I dug it out from behind the wardrobe a few months back.The presets were all gone but i managed to get the original factory settings in wav format from a site and loaded them in a simulated good old fashioned tape recorder way via the audio output on m pc.
Its works fine again.
You can borrow it if you like just give me a shout.
I used the Korg POLY800 in about 3 tunes i made,never really liked its digitally controlled analogue oscillators,just sounded too reedy,sometimes chimey and thin.Crap for bass which i found out but good for leads,arpeggios and some pads.
Not to be too pretentious you understand.
Komet64
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by Komet64 »

I certainly don't want to take Wilson's place in giving an answer, and most probably he can give more detailed information on the subject, but as far as I know, the ST-01 is one of the original floppy disks meant to be used with the Soundtracker software, containing samples in IFF format.
d.a.wilson
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by d.a.wilson »

Hi M.A.F.... Shame on you for not knowing what ST-01 is... go to the back of the class :wink:

As Komet64 says ST-01 was the :) FIRST :) and by far most celibrated official instrument/sample disk for use with Sound Tracker on the Amiga. It was bundled with the :) FIRST :) Soundtracker package devised by Karsten Obarski called Ultimate Soundtracker released by Electronic Arts in 1987. What is currently unclear is exactly -who- produced the first batch of samples as there apear to be no credits in the original documentation. It is possible that Karsten himself produced the first samples although I have a hunch that the first disk may have been produced by more than one synth owner. What is also not clear is how the first first song disk came about - obviously several of Karsten's songs are on there but how the rest were collected I'm not sure.

I'm interested you have a Poly-800 - I'd either be interested in helping you replace the backup battery and factory presets or even purchasing it off you if you are interested.

Yes - I agree the Poly-800 isn't totally fantastic but like so many older synths - it has it's place doing specific tasks. Actually I'd make a warning to anyone tempted to purchase some of the synths used to make ST-01. There is no doubting that the Roland D-50 and JUNO-106 are lovely synths with plenty of years left in them but both will cost you a fair amount of money thesedays as they are collectible. The Juno is beautifully programmable but to really get to the D-50s power you need a PG1000 and this & a D-50 costs more than a Juno. The DX100/21 on the other hand is a very poor example of 4 OP FM - if you want the best sounding FM synth that can play back the DX100 presets directly then get a TX81Z - it's the professional rackmounted version designed to be backward compatible with all of the Yamaha 4OP synths and it's got much quieter DACs on it - it also fully responds to velocity, aftertouch and breath control. It's cheap and built like a tank - see Ebay! The TX81Z is most famous for it's preset "LatelyBass" - a dance/pop bass still used to this day. This bass is called SolidBass on the DX100 - I don't know why it's name was changed. I'm almost 100% certain SolidBass is present in at least two ST-01 samples.

Another question for all you budding Amiga fans - which 8 bit hardware sampler upgrades & sampling packages were popular/available on the Amiga in 1987? :help:

Dan.
Resident vintage synth restorer, collector and user geek... :) ....
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Post by Vosla »

I remember now... switching ST-sample disks like a madman, even with two drives. My HDD was too small to hold all the samples. :duh:
All is lost.
am-fm

Post by am-fm »

is it possible to get these samples re-recorded as wav?
Life is a beach...
beyond
Forum God
Forum God

Post by beyond »

d.a.wilson wrote:Another question for all you budding Amiga fans - which 8 bit hardware sampler upgrades & sampling packages were popular/available on the Amiga in 1987? :help:
I used AudioMaster IV for sampling with a stereo sampler made by a company called Alcotini (maybe a Danish company, I "fear").
Romeo Knight
Supreme Strumming Daddy
Supreme Strumming Daddy

Post by Romeo Knight »

Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

beyond wrote: I used AudioMaster IV for sampling with a stereo sampler made by a company called Alcotini (maybe a Danish company, I "fear").
AudioMaster was an awesome Piece of software... I was using Perfect Sound by SunRize Industries. I posted a picture of it in this thread back in 2006..
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
alex_mauer

Post by alex_mauer »

I gave a listen to the sounds that you're stumped on... and I can atleast give you leads on the following 3:

Chink: roland alpha juno 2/mks50 (http://synthmania.com/Roland%20MKS-50/A ... Chime3.mp3)
Klick Organ: more roland alpha juno 2/mks50 (http://synthmania.com/Roland%20MKS-50/A ... no%201.mp3)
Perco: dx21 percopiano maybe? i sold my dx21 a while ago so i cant verify this

also... i dont own a poly800 but this should be able to help you figure out if thats THE KORG
http://synthmania.com/poly-800.htm
Mister Ghostie
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by Mister Ghostie »

Not sure if this is off topic.....

Just wondering if anyone knows where the "Do" voice sample came from as used in BA1 and many other mods - the sample in BA1 is called ST-07:newdo. Any info on where I can get a high quality sample of this voice or achieve a similar sound would be much appreciated.
Tunnan
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Tunnan »

Nice project :D

anyone have the st-01 in
adf-format ?

:cheers:
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

Whatever happened to this project?
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
Datasette Idol

Post by Datasette Idol »

Fun read. My comment: 8bit D/A definately has its character. And on the technical side, some might say the direct clocking is better than many one-bit converters. (Who require extremely high rates, and thus get a different character with inaccuracies, many will say worse - muddy midrange etc.) Vintage dream for many is ofourse 8-bit samples with analog filter, getting a very 80s sound. And in these 8-bit samples times on c64, maybe it can do a good job with that too, lol.