Monkey Island 5 and 6

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
beyond
Forum God
Forum God

Monkey Island 5 and 6

Post by beyond »

Only saw this referenced in ze tcherman zhreads, so here it is... Monkey Island 5 and 6 released in episodes starting from July 7th. Read more here.

And on a side note: PPOTs performance for Monkey Island back in 2004 at St Luke's has now been seen by more than 500,000 viewers. For those who have no clue about what I'm talking about go here

-Theo
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Re: Monkey Island 5 and 6

Post by Analog-X64 »

It was all good, than they lost me on the "Booya"
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
Dumper
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Dumper »

I thought it was just Monkey Island 5 being released as episodes not number 6 too.

The Monkey Island 1 remake/update with voices is looking good on Xbox Live. :arr:
I wish they would release it on disc as i hate not having the physical product.
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

I really hope, the game turns out good. :)

The visuals so far seem to be a let-down: Guybrush, Elaine + LeChuck looked perfect in MI:3. Guybrush is barely recognisable in MI:5.

Why has it all to be 3D? It kinda worked with Sam + Max, but MI:5 doesn't look very good - in fact it doesn't look much better than MI:4. I wonder: if it has to be 3D, why not employ some proper cel shading to get that comic look?

I'd love to see Ron Gilbert's intended finale (Ron Gilbert has stated that the secret was not revealed in any of the games, and that the true secret would be revealed if he got to work on the fifth entry in the series - wikipedia)- I wonder if that will come about? Their site says they're in contact and Ron approves, but I doubt he's involved.
Makke
gooooooood!
gooooooood!

Post by Makke »

I agree, LMan. It doesn't look graphically stunning, but since I'll play it anyway, I'm hoping the story and humour will be the main focus.

Tellatale has also put Sam & Max Surfin' the Highway back in print, so an order is inevitable. I've asked on the Telltale forums about a European distributor - I'd hate the see an extra customs fee's, plus 25% extra Swedish VAT, on the ordering bill. :(
-.. .--- / .--. . .-. .--. .-.. . -..- / ..-. .- -. / -.-. .-.. ..- -... / .--. .-. . ... .. -.. . -. -
Mordi
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by Mordi »

Telltale games has a lot of people from the old MI1 team, though, so they know their stuff (even though they're 20 years older).
Check out my website.
Dumper
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Dumper »

Mordi wrote:Telltale games has a lot of people from the old MI1 team, though, so they know their stuff (even though they're 20 years older).
So you were only a baby when the first game was released? Bloody hell were have the years gone. :(
Jan Lund Thomsen
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Jan Lund Thomsen »

Makke wrote:Tellatale has also put Sam & Max Surfin' the Highway back in print, so an order is inevitable. I've asked on the Telltale forums about a European distributor - I'd hate the see an extra customs fee's, plus 25% extra Swedish VAT, on the ordering bill. :(
I used to have a copy of the trade paperback collection. Can't find it on my bookshelf, so I prolly passed it onto a friend who were quite into them back in the day.
dan gillgrass
Built from Stella and KFC

Post by dan gillgrass »

From what Ive read and seen about this Monkey "special edition" is that it's exactly the same game, everything, just the gfx and music spruced up a bit (and I think all talky text), you can even press a key and it jumps straight back into the original for those who love it.

<fnordpojk> Dan_Gillg: Is WoW down, or what brings you here? ;)
Mordi
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by Mordi »

dan gillgrass wrote:From what Ive read and seen about this Monkey "special edition" is that it's exactly the same game, everything, just the gfx and music spruced up a bit (and I think all talky text), you can even press a key and it jumps straight back into the original for those who love it.
Yup
http://www.giantbomb.com/the-making-of- ... se/17-843/
Check out my website.
Jan Lund Thomsen
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Jan Lund Thomsen »

Mordi wrote:
dan gillgrass wrote:From what Ive read and seen about this Monkey "special edition" is that it's exactly the same game, everything, just the gfx and music spruced up a bit (and I think all talky text), you can even press a key and it jumps straight back into the original for those who love it.
Yup
http://www.giantbomb.com/the-making-of- ... se/17-843/
I love the background art on the new one. Still not sure about the character design, but I felt the same about MI:3 at first as well, so that doesn't really bother me. That being said I'm totally psyched about being able to press a button to switch to the old gfx. :D

And speaking of XBLA releases, Sam & Max Season 1 is coming out next week. Yah!

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/06/11/sam-a ... a-june-17/
rogerxy
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by rogerxy »

Makke: It's no probs ordering from their website. No extra expenses

Really looking forward to another part of the greatest game series of all time (except the 4th one of course). I trust Telltale Games
Makke
gooooooood!
gooooooood!

Post by Makke »

rogerxy wrote:Makke: It's no probs ordering from their website. No extra expenses
Yes. I decided to only get the downloadable stuff - saves the fuzz of customs when physical products are shipped. Still, I would've liked to have the pre-order perks. Oh well...
rogerxy wrote:Really looking forward to another part of the greatest game series of all time (except the 4th one of course). I trust Telltale Games
Although I would've prefered it in 2D (and better controls), I still quite enjoyed the fourth one. It's the weakest one in the series so far, for sure, but it wasn't awful. Not like Simon the Sorcerer 3D awful, because that whole game was pure murder.

But sticking to the topic: Only a week to go until release!
-.. .--- / .--. . .-. .--. .-.. . -..- / ..-. .- -. / -.-. .-.. ..- -... / .--. .-. . ... .. -.. . -. -
dan gillgrass

Post by dan gillgrass »

rogerxy wrote:Makke: It's no probs ordering from their website. No extra expenses

Really looking forward to another part of the greatest game series of all time (except the 4th one of course). I trust Telltale Games
U think the fourth was better than the third? hmmmmmmm...... if I ever had an opinion of you Makke... it just went down a notch ;)

<fnordpojk> Dan_Gillg: Is WoW down, or what brings you here? ;)
Makke
gooooooood!
gooooooood!

Post by Makke »

So, anyone played it yet? Perhaps even finished it?

I just bought and downloaded it, and have been playing for a couple of hours. I really wish they'd gone for 2D instead of 3D (or at least 3D graphics with a 2D feel, or the other way around). While the general feel of the graphics are right on the dot, they some times feel a bit rushed/cheap, with lack in detail and depth - especially depth. The controls are better than MI 4, but still not great. The best way to get around is to use the keyboard and mouse combine. Whatever happened to simple point-and-click-controls? Oh, right. They went 3D. :/

But those are all the complaints I have really. The puzzles so far haven't been super-challenging, but that might just be to ease you into the game.

One great thing is that they've got pretty much the same cast of actors to do the voices! By this point I couldn't imagine Guybrush being done by anyone else other than Dominic Armato.

As I said, I've only gotten a couple of hours into the game, but I don't regret spending the $35 it cost me to buy it.