I want to slow my Commodore down

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Commie_User
Forum God
Forum God

I want to slow my Commodore down

Post by Commie_User »

Some games run too fast for me. Any general-purpose Pokes to slow the machine by 25, 50 or 75%?

I would have thought it was theoretically possible to poke in values to cause timing delays.
analoq
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Re: I want to slow my Commodore down

Post by analoq »

That's an interesting one. Most timing in games are based on interrupts of the video controller, which runs at the flicker rate of PAL or NTSC, whatever the case may be. So you probably couldn't change the interrupt rate without also ruining the video output.

In essence, I have no idea - but here's hoping someone else has more info.
Pex `Mahoney` Tufvesson
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity
Location: Lund, Sweden. Fav colour: White. Fav remix: PPOT Comic

Post by Pex `Mahoney` Tufvesson »

There's no poke that will fix "all" games. But, a hardware hack would work: Replace the oscillator on the motherboard. Unfortunately, that would most certainly make the TV output garbage, as the TV output also would be 25Hz instead of 50.

So, the best idea would be downloading the sourcecode for an emulator and change update rate there. Not a beginner's task, though.

Good luck!
merman
Forum Fish
Forum Fish

Post by merman »

Seem to remember seeing a "slowmo" gadget in an old magazine, don't know how it worked though...
--Anyone want to remix my SIDs?--
merman1974 on Twitter, Steam and Xbox Live
Commie_User
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Commie_User »

Win-Vice can slow the games down nicely, so I'm not without options. It's just that I wanted a little something to slow a real machine down, as can be the case with the Amiga Action Replay.

Thanks to all who replied.