Did you know?

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Monty
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Did you know?

Post by Monty »

Daglish's "Return of the Mutant Camel" (MUSICIANS/D/Daglish_Ben/Return_of_the_Mutant_Camel.sid) (1987) is a cover of the song "Atahuallpa" by Incantation (on the album "Dance of the flames" released in 1983).

I wonder if Chris knows this, because i found no credits to Incantation on the Karma64 album which contains a (great!) remix of this song (track 10 - Revenge of the Mutant Camels 2).
Also, there's no STIL entry about this.

Possibly the Incantation song has it's roots in a traditional Andean/Incan folksong, so even Incantation won't be the original composers, but i don't think so.

Sound snippets can be found here:

Incantation - "Atahuallpa":
amazon.de or
musicishere.com

Slow Poison - "Revenge of the Mutant Camels 2":
c64audio.com (named "Return of the Mutant Camels" here and falsly credited to Rob Hubbard :wink: )

Greetz, Monty
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Re: Did you know?

Post by Chris Abbott »

Monty wrote:Daglish's "Return of the Mutant Camel" (MUSICIANS/D/Daglish_Ben/Return_of_the_Mutant_Camel.sid) (1987) is a cover of the song "Atahuallpa" by Incantation (on the album "Dance of the flames" released in 1983).

I wonder if Chris knows this, because i found no credits to Incantation on the Karma64 album which contains a (great!) remix of this song (track 10 - Revenge of the Mutant Camels 2).
Also, there's no STIL entry about this.

Possibly the Incantation song has it's roots in a traditional Andean/Incan folksong, so even Incantation won't be the original composers, but i don't think so.

Sound snippets can be found here:

Incantation - "Atahuallpa":
amazon.de or
musicishere.com

Slow Poison - "Revenge of the Mutant Camels 2":
c64audio.com (named "Return of the Mutant Camels" here and falsly credited to Rob Hubbard :wink: )

Greetz, Monty
Ben insisted that he based it on a traditional Peruvian tune which is out of copyright (written by unknown authors), so this is the first I've heard of it. I'm not sure we'll ever get to the truth, maaaan.....

As for being credited to Rob Hubbard, what can I say but... :oops: :oops: Must be a database typo.

This is definitely worth a STIL entry though!

Chris
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
Monty
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Monty »

Well, i dug a little deeper on it and i think Ben is right here, although it seems to be not a peruvian but an equadorian folk song :P
There are other musicians out there who interpreted it too.

I browsed through a number of andean music style albums lately and you hear the same compositions in different interpretations over and over again, but this one was unique and so i thought it was possibly not based on a traditional song.
Plus i was surprised to hear that known melody because i always thought it was Ben's own composition.

Cheers, Monty
merman
Forum Fish
Forum Fish

Post by merman »

There's also a cover of Cachapaya by Incantation in one of Ben's music demos...
--Anyone want to remix my SIDs?--
merman1974 on Twitter, Steam and Xbox Live
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

It's just nice to put a name to the tune :) So thanks!
Monty
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Monty »

merman wrote:There's also a cover of Cachapaya by Incantation in one of Ben's music demos...
haha, thanks for this info! funny, because i asked my brother about this specific track. it instantly reminded me of some amiga-mod but i couldn't put my finger on it.
well, after listening to ben's version (ben's music selector, subtune 11) i still think i heard it on amiga somewhere. ben's version sounds relatively unknown to my ears...
dan gillgrass
Built from Stella and KFC

Post by dan gillgrass »

Did you also know, that, (thanks to Mr. Carr outing himself as a Lionel Richie fan) it would seem Jeroen Tel likes a bit of his music as well... check out these chords at 0:34 and then listen to Cybernoid 2 sid.... fess up Tel!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PnhlXLHKAE

<fnordpojk> Dan_Gillg: Is WoW down, or what brings you here? ;)
DHS
Forum God
Forum God

Post by DHS »

holy...
--
DHS of The SoundWavers
http://soundwavers.com/
Monty
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Monty »

:D Nice find, Dan! Absolutely identical!

Ok, i have another one, too. 8)
Maybe a little far fetched, because it's a standard chord progression, but I always thought that Rob Hubbard's Game Over tune from "Monty on the Run" was heavily inspired by Nazareth's "Love Hurts".

I have mixed two short parts of both tracks together (had to slow down Monty a little bit), check it out here:
monty_hurts.mp3 - 0.38MB

What do you think? :)
Steve B
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Steve B »

Monty was inspired by 'the devils gallop'
I C 64 People

Computers can never replace human stupidity
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Monty wrote::D Nice find, Dan! Absolutely identical!

Ok, i have another one, too. 8)
Maybe a little far fetched, because it's a standard chord progression, but I always thought that Rob Hubbard's Game Over tune from "Monty on the Run" was heavily inspired by Nazareth's "Love Hurts".

I have mixed two short parts of both tracks together (had to slow down Monty a little bit), check it out here:
monty_hurts.mp3 - 0.38MB

What do you think? :)
I really can't see Rob being a fan of the group "Nazareth" :)
dan gillgrass

Post by dan gillgrass »

Chris Abbott wrote:
I really can't see Rob being a fan of the group "Nazareth" :)
Dark horse? U prob thought Rob didnt drink until that night in Manc... oh no.. he sat at our table... that was probably our fault tbh... oh well....... :cheers:

<fnordpojk> Dan_Gillg: Is WoW down, or what brings you here? ;)
Monty
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Monty »

Well, once in a while I happen to stumble across familiar sounding melody lines...
This time I was watching the movie "The Long Good Friday" from 1980 starring Bob Hoskins and was suddenly thinking I was playing Nemesis the Warlock:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=empcYO0UXBE#t=98m25s

Maybe Rob once sat on his sofa and watched that Bob Hoskins shower scene over and over again :lol: (scnr Rob!) and a few years later that melody crept (unnoticed?) into one of his tunes...who knows?

Of course Rob made the definitive version (as always).

Cheers, Monty
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

It's actually a thing I love about music. Everything is inspired by something that was before, nothing is really new, and everything has a long history of predecessors.
Waz
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Post by Waz »

Notably, the composer of the soundtrack for The Long Good Friday, Francis Monkman, was formerly of the band Curved Air and then the progressive band Sky, whose track "Hotta" was that covered by Antony Crowther in the title theme for Suicide Express:

And Francis knocked up this rather ace theme tune for The Kick Off Match, shown locally in the North West of England in the ITV Granada region in the late 1970s, cue classic Granada logo!

Warren Pilkington (Waz)
Zzap! 64, CF and HVSC Contributor
Flickr! - http://www.flickr.com/photos/zawtowers/
Twitter: @zawtowers
--------------------------------------------