Help wanted. Wikipedia troll needs discipline...

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
beyond
Forum God
Forum God

Help wanted. Wikipedia troll needs discipline...

Post by beyond »

Well, actually, I'm just talking about this annoying guy who thinks that he is making this world a better place by changing the cpitalization on the PRESS PLAY ON TAPE page on Wikipedia. I've reverted his changes on the page and now he has turned into a forever-fighting-the-dark-typography-on-wikipedia-as-if-the-world-would-collapse-otherwise.

May I ask those of you who just care a little bit about the issue that PRESS PLAY ON TAPE is written in CAPS and not some other form... I know it is silly but I'm getting so annoyed when I see our band's name written like "Press Play on Tape" or the like.

Go to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Press_Play_on_Tape and insert something like:

:::It is utterly important that PRESS PLAY ON TAPE is written i CAPS.

Your help will be so appreciated!

-Theo
beyond
Forum God
Forum God

Re: Help wanted. Wikipedia troll needs discipline...

Post by beyond »

Never mind - all info about PRESS PLAY ON TAPE has been deleted from WikiPedia.
RobinsonMason
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by RobinsonMason »

I tried to help, don't know if you saw my contribs. I pointed out that the stubborn anti-all caps guy should do a Google image search on "c64 press play on tape" and note how the prompt was in fact in all caps, and that this was a decision on the band's part (my assumption) to simulate the screen prompt accurately.

It looks like your "buddy" there tagged it for speedy deletion just to be a royal pain. Only you or the person who tagged it was capable of inserting a "stop" on that deletion.
beyond
Forum God
Forum God

Post by beyond »

Thanks for the effort.

I've tried to describe what I think of this amazing way things work on Wikipedia but I can't. It is so stupid that a person can tag a page for deletion (which cannot be stopped unless you come up with a super very good reason, like Barack Obama prefers sleeping in his PPOT pyjamas, with a ref link to whitehouse.gov with quote or even better a video) just because of a style guideline or how much he or she thinks this page is relevant for Wikipedia.

A band cannot be on Wikipedia unless they have a record deal with EMI or similar, have several gold records, have been playing live on a US TV network, or been on Oprah.... when you are a 17 year-old wikipedia editor.

*sigh*
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

Ok.. we have visitors and I havent been able to log in here.

The wiki page has been deleted already.

I'm not happy..

I went to this this trolls page and it all makes sense now, he thinks his batman and needs to right all wrongs on wiki.

I'm tempted to unleash some serious kick ass on this guy and get the wiki page back online.

I'm not happy..
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

Something needs to be done. This is just wrong. For now I've saved the Google cached version of the page, just to have a backup.
ppot page cached.zip
(14.21 KiB) Downloaded 1193 times
Is anyone familiar with the workings at Wikipedia? Is it possible to report such a person? The purpose for the deletion was clearly a matter of personal ego-lifting, and took a relevant page off the Wiki. This can not be what the Wikipedia community wants, can it?
merman
Forum Fish
Forum Fish

Post by merman »

beyond wrote:Never mind - all info about PRESS PLAY ON TAPE has been deleted from WikiPedia.
That is so wrong, I don't know where to start. Sorry to hear it.
--Anyone want to remix my SIDs?--
merman1974 on Twitter, Steam and Xbox Live
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

I'm going to pursue to this matter on my end, and see if I can be of any assistance.

I'll update this thread if I make any progress.
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Post by Vosla »

Well, it's the strict relevance policy some elaborate people practise over there. I had a run in with some of those guys in the past. They think they are more important than other people - especially all illaterate monkeys. By that, everybody else than them.

Hopeless case. If it would help, I would just diss the guy. Or unleash a shitstorm over him.
Last edited by Vosla on 10/08/2010 - 21:36, edited 1 time in total.
All is lost.
beyond
Forum God
Forum God

Post by beyond »

I simply do not get it. The guy who deleted the PPOT pages has nominated his own page about some building for the "Do You Know" section. Nothing interesting but the fact the building now is undergoing reconstruction to become a church for Scientology, which also is blatantly uninteresting. So...? I just don't get it. At all. It's ok to put in an indirect commercial about a Scientology church and to delete a page about a band. Wtf?
RobinsonMason
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by RobinsonMason »

lol -if we were evil we'd nominate his stuff for speedy deletion. But that just keeps the vicious circle alive, and I wouldn't want to stoop their petty level.

BTW, would anyone here mind taking the time to "review" a page I've had up for a while on the Dunjonquest series (Apshai, etc.)?

Here's the link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunjonquest_%28series%29

Still says: "This page is a new unreviewed article. This template should be removed once the page has been reviewed by someone other than its creator; if necessary the page should be appropriately tagged for cleanup."
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

I never paid much attention about all the editing and stuff on the Wiki Side and its seems very cludgy and not very Web 2.0.
beyond
Forum God
Forum God

Post by beyond »

If anyone wants to read about the idiocy, it's right here.
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

There are loads of reliable sources: like mentions in magazines such as Edge or Retro Gamer, not "just one newspaper article". Also CDs on sale at c64audio.com.

Self-important, isn't he?

[lol] :)
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

I have added my vote with hopefully weighty arguments. If we are to help PRESS PLAY ON TAPE, this can only be done by means of proof and verification. This shouldn't be too hard so everyone please check your magazines for articles mentioning PPOT, and add them as proof to the talk page. It's important to remain calm; we cannot brute-force this.