Red Nation - more Whittaker

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
CraigG
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Red Nation - more Whittaker

Post by CraigG »

Saw the Contraband trailer last night and my ears went "I know that hook". It was from The Game, released almost a year back*, and it's another Lazy Jones rip (seemingly using the sample from the Zombie Nation mix that has a sports crowd sample 'singing' the hook).

So has David seen anything from this, or Florian Senfter again rolling in ill-gotten gains from nicking someone else's music?

* Yeah, I know—I'm really with it when it comes to new hip hop!
Commie_User
Forum God
Forum God

Re: Red Nation - more Whittaker

Post by Commie_User »

I've half-jokingly called Nintendo 'nazis' or 'fascists' because it would be so hard to commercially do anything with their systems in any way. Galoob just didn't need the aggro from the company's legal department, for one. So many chances for utility gear lost, unless you lived in Hong Kong.

But at times like this I can more than see where Nintendo has been coming from. (Even though software houses have been known to take the cream for all their minions' hard work anyway.)
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Yeah, David W noticed this before I did.

Anyway, I don't know for sure, but I think that saga is over. And not in a good way. Senfter played the system and got what he wanted. And there was too much time between it happening, and complaining about it for the courts to do anything about it. The whole thing stinks, frankly. Stupid statutes of limitations.

Er, Commie, what post were you replying to?

Chris
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
CraigG
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by CraigG »

Chris: So what was the conclusion? Is Senfter still reselling David's tune to everyone and cutting David out of income? And what do you mean by a statute of limitation? Presumably, David didn't go to court soon enough? That's really shitty.
Commie_User
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Commie_User »

Chris, I was trying to say that had it been Nintendo, a whole legal monster could have been unleashed to deal with this kind of infringement.

I wonder if anybody had the idea of a co-op club for C64 people to pay into which could fund big-style legal actions in times like this.
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Commie_User wrote:Chris, I was trying to say that had it been Nintendo, a whole legal monster could have been unleashed to deal with this kind of infringement.

I wonder if anybody had the idea of a co-op club for C64 people to pay into which could fund big-style legal actions in times like this.
Oh, right, OK, didn't get that from the post. Actually the problem this time wasn't money: it was the the legal systems in both Germany and California. There's a difference between law and justice, of course. Always has been.
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

CraigG wrote:Chris: So what was the conclusion? Is Senfter still reselling David's tune to everyone and cutting David out of income? And what do you mean by a statute of limitation? Presumably, David didn't go to court soon enough? That's really shitty.
Yes, and he'll do so forever, still convinced this is "his" tune. There was a possible route to legal action, but one that's much more difficult to prove... and I think everyone has simply given up. Let this be a lesson to anyone here: if something is wrong, don't wait to make a fuss.

Chris
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Yes, it's confirmed: the fight is over. Evil won.

And any hopes for a grand Social Media crusade to get justice for David will, I'm sure, remain unrealised... ;-)

Chris