Arkanoid Ship

Post your self-made artwork, here.
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Re: Arkanoid Ship

Post by Analog-X64 »

To illustrate what Steve was saying, here is another example of boolean operations using primivite objects.

So this is the wireframe of my orb image.

d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
AndyUK
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by AndyUK »

Hey Steve, first off Nice modelling, Doing this stuff in Bryce is a royal pain, and soon, as you showed, ends up in boolean hell heh.. Anyways, yep, its a good solid model. Well done mate! :nod:

Would you mind if I made a suggestion?

Instead of relying on textures to create surface detail, I built myself a load of detail objects I load in when needed. Simple little Bryce object 'groups' of blocks of just "stuff" like squished city blocks that add detail but are manageable because you import/export/load them in as a Group.. Hmm did a quick render , hope it shows what i mean.

http://flic.kr/p/afPukT

Added to the model looks like :

http://flic.kr/p/afSfKj

Its a nice and simple way of getting that detail that texture alone cant give you.. Just twist scale and rotate the blocks to give a bit of randomness and it should look great.. But as I said before, the ships a solid model and the viper deserves some kudos too.. Just out of curiosity, have to tried http://www.wings3d.com/ it's a excellent modeler, nice and simple to use and above all its free.. I use it a lot, and does 3ds export with texture mapping too.. ( just right for my Bryce stuff )

Carry on pal, your results are worth the effort!! :worship:

Steve B wrote:a few hours work, spread over a few days.
the original:

And my Bryce 7 version:

not quite at the same angle, but i may do something about that later.

enjoy.
Steve B
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Steve B »

that does finish it off nicely with the logo Analog !
I C 64 People

Computers can never replace human stupidity
Steve B
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Steve B »

AndyUK wrote:Instead of relying on textures to create surface detail, I built myself a load of detail objects I load in when needed. Simple little Bryce object 'groups' of blocks of just "stuff" like squished city blocks that add detail but are manageable because you import/export/load them in as a Group.. Hmm did a quick render , hope it shows what i mean.
i do have just that sort of thing set up in Bryce 6, i just haven't got around to pulling them into B7 yet :)

i shall have to check out Wings 3D some time. but, i do like Bryce, and enjoy the challenge of working out how to combine primitives to end up with 'X' (apart from ships ... i tried it a while ago, and it was a right sod!)
I C 64 People

Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

Steve B wrote:that does finish it off nicely with the logo Analog !
I can give you the Logo as a Photoshop PSD with all of its layers and you can add it to your scene anyway you wish.

Let me know.
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

AndyUK wrote: Instead of relying on textures to create surface detail, I built myself a load of detail objects I load in when needed. Simple little Bryce object 'groups' of blocks of just "stuff" like squished city blocks that add detail but are manageable because you import/export/load them in as a Group.. Hmm did a quick render , hope it shows what i mean.
All I can say is :worship:
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Post by Vosla »

N I C E !
(I shall steal the picture and slap it onto my pirated C64-copy of the game until I find the original for some cents on the interwebs)
All is lost.
AndyUK
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by AndyUK »

Now how do you rate Bryce 6 in a comparison to Bryce7. I upgraded to 6 when it came out but wasn't sure about the extra 'features' they implemented into Bryce7. It didn't seem much of an upgrade, so I never got round to it? Is it worth the upgrade or not?

Any advice on that would be appreciated..

Oh and Wings, it really IS worth a checkout pal. Very small footprint, and as powerful as you need it to be. Lots of simple primitive tools, extrude, indent, facet, split.. etc Makes modelling simple. I've never enjoyed Bryce as a modeller. The whole Boolean process slows me down, even a simple modification isn't as friendly as I like. You did a good job of that ship pal, gotta give credit for that!!

Steve B wrote:i do have just that sort of thing set up in Bryce 6, i just haven't got around to pulling them into B7 yet :)

i shall have to check out Wings 3D some time. but, i do like Bryce, and enjoy the challenge of working out how to combine primitives to end up with 'X' (apart from ships ... i tried it a while ago, and it was a right sod!)
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

Here is a TIP with DAZ products, and I will certainly let you all know the next time this happens.

When DAZ releases a major release of their software, the previous version is usually available for free with one of their magazines, with a coupon
to upgrade to the next version.

So thats how I did it, for both Bryce 7 Pro and Carrara 8 Pro. Each upgrade only cost me between $70-$90
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

I have played with Wings3D in the past, but the terms and the options are intimidating. I usually end up creating some kind of monstrosity with it :)
Steve B
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Steve B »

AndyUK wrote:Now how do you rate Bryce 6 in a comparison to Bryce7. I upgraded to 6 when it came out but wasn't sure about the extra 'features' they implemented into Bryce7. It didn't seem much of an upgrade, so I never got round to it? Is it worth the upgrade or not?
the 'big' upgrade, i suppose, is the partical animation. but to tell you the truth, i haven't even looked at that yet.
if i hadn't got 7 on a special offer i would not of bothered. 6 is not far behind it.

BTW: i am installing Wings right now.

i have Lightwave and Maya, but cant get away with them.
i went to Bog's a few years ago to learn how to use Lightwave.
the plan was:
1. do the teach/learn Lightwave thing.
2. watch the new Star Trek Enterprise pilot episode
3. get drunk talking about the new Star Trek Enterprise pilot episode.

unfortunately, we got the order wrong :blush:

i do mean to learn it ... but i self taught Bryce waaaaay back, and find it hard to get out of the 'Bryce way'
I C 64 People

FFRenzy
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by FFRenzy »

SarahKreuz31 wrote:that looks awesome 80 (wanna play a Wing Commander-style Game with this Ship as a target X))
Maybe it is possible to add the model to this moddable remake of Elite : Oolite
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO what a ride'