Potential new SOTB CD by Tim Wright

Have you released a new remix at Remix.Kwed.Org, AmigaRemix or somewhere else on the web? Tell the community about it here!
mrsidc64

Potential new SOTB CD by Tim Wright

Post by mrsidc64 »

Hi there

I am new to these forums but thought that you would be interested in this.

A Kickstarter campaign I am running for an Amiga book has a stretch goal which is to produce a Shadow of The Beast CD with each of David Whittaker’s tracks remade exclusively for this Kickstarter campaign by composer Tim Wright. This CD will only be made available for the backers.

If you would like to back the campaign and help to make this CD happen, visit: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/21 ... ommpendium

Thanks, Sam
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Re: Potential new SOTB CD by Tim Wright

Post by Chris Abbott »

Hi Sam, welcome over here to our little forum!
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
pepak
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by pepak »

I damn well hope it gets over 75K - even though the version from Immortal sounds just fine to me, I would like to hear another one.
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

You know Tim can do better than good :)
Jan Lund Thomsen
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Jan Lund Thomsen »

Not that I want to be the one to be the proverbial stick in the mud, but one of my first crowdfunding experiences was for a game that couldn't run on my computer - I knew this beforehand, and didn't care since one of the stretch goals was for the soundtrack to be released in FLAC/MP3 format. Hence, I backed it, waited, got the soundtrack, and enjoyed the soundtrack ... for about five months, then the soundtrack was released as a standalone FLAC/MP3 download. For $17 less than I paid. At that point that I stopped believing in backing kickstarter-campaigns to get those "exclusive" extras.

I wish you the best of luck on getting your book out, but I'll take my chances on the SOTB CD being released seperately later.
pepak
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by pepak »

Jan Lund Thomsen wrote:got the soundtrack, and enjoyed the soundtrack ... for about five months, then the soundtrack was released as a standalone FLAC/MP3 download. For $17 less than I paid.
Note that the recent Amiga CDs (Brimble's Amiga Works and Wright's Strix Memoria) both fall into this category. Technically, the Kickstarter campaign was not misleading, because the product as a whole was exclusive, only the music wasn't, but I can see why someone might find that a half-lie. I must admit I was somewhat unhappy with the too-quick digital re-release, too. Based on this past experience, I expect this will happen with the new CD, too.

Still:

1) Personally, I don't mind paying a little extra to ensure that the CD will appear.

2) The re-release may well be "inferior" in some way. E.g., I also backed Video Games Live Level 4, because I want the CD. I am sure the digital download will be available even to non-backers, perhaps even with some exclusive content, but I want the whole experience. And I don't want to have to spend twice as much to get it later, as I did with Video Games Live Level 3, where I had to pay $100+ to get what I wanted simply because I missed out on the Kickstarter campaign.
I wish you the best of luck on getting your book out, but I'll take my chances on the SOTB CD being released seperately later.
Plus, you can always listen to the Immortal 1 version, arranged by Ruben Monteiro. It's not bad at all!
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

As the person actually responsible for making this particular CD happen, the promise to Sam was that Tim's soundtrack was exclusive to Sam's Kickstarter.

There may well be other SoTB remakes on forthcoming remake CDs, but they won't be these ones, and SoTB CD currently isn't planned on being made available as a digital download to backers.

Also, Sam won't release a digital download of the CD off his own bat.

Just saying!

Chris
Jan Lund Thomsen
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Jan Lund Thomsen »

If there's one thing that gets my dander up more than having an "exclusive" product publicly available later on, it's when shopkeepers are perfectly happy to take your money today, but want none of your business a month from now.

The obvious solution is to make the physical CD an nicely packaged product, exclusively available to crowd-funding backers - and start selling a digital-only "inferior" download at a later date. Otherwise people who discover the Kickstarter after its over will have no way to get hold of the music.

(Unless you count grabbing a copy from TPB, which people are perfectly willing to do if they can't get it legally.)
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

The main problem is many of the people who backed the Kickstarter getting upset that their exclusivity is being ruined and complaining about it. Sometimes as a Kickstarter-runner you just can't win...

No person who runs a Kickstarter wants to piss anybody off or refuse service, but they do have to deal with a multitude of people with differing wants and many of whom are very vocal on their opinion, and very protective of their "exclusive" position.

That said, the deal with Sam is for the physical copy only, so Sam couldn't release a digital copy later if he wanted to, though Tim Wright could.

As for a TPB copy, off the record, if the Kickstarter had finished and there was no way to legally listen to it, I'd feel quite justified in downloading a copy myself (and buying it if it become available).

Matt Gray's Kickstarter promises not to re-press the physical products, such as the main album, the Last Ninja 2 CD or the Last Ninja 2 Picturedisk Vinyl LP, so that's pretty much what you were talking about.

Chris
Ahriakin
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by Ahriakin »

Matt's was the first Kickstarter I've funded. I understand the need to post exclusive rewards for higher level backers and that to some folks this is a major inspiration to invest but I think considering this is a community dedicated to freely sharing remixes (excepting more professional and costly projects) I'd have no problem with him releasing those exclusive tracks to a wider audience after a period of time. My main reason for funding is to see the project completed, not to have something that others within this community will have no legal access to, many of whom have provided me with 1000s of hours of free music over the years.

My $.02 - as a very infrequent contributor but longtime appreciator/consumer of all things C64 mixish.
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Big announcement today!