Matt Gray Produced Box Set

Radio shows, podcasts, live events, CD releases, etc...
Ninja Sounds
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Re: Matt Gray Produced Box Set

Post by Ninja Sounds »

tomsk wrote:
What I'm trying to do is to produce my c64 games tracks using not just the SID as a synth but any instrument that given the chance to I would have used when I originally composed them for SID
I find it fascinating to hear what's being discussed on this thread, and really gets me into this project even more! One thing I would mention, and it's just purely a "preference" thing, is that although at the time you were limited to the sound the SID produced, that sound in essence became an important part of why people loved your music. You hear SID and emulated SID all over in modern dance music (I'm sure I've no need to tell you!), it's quite in vogue right now as it sounds retro, yet awesome and new to the ears of today's youth. They've had never heard SID arpeggios before, so it's being unleashed as a new concept, even though it's donkeys years old...anyway I digress, what I'm trying to say is don't loose sight of why your tunes stand out, the sound of the chip is an important factor. It's your call but it sounds promising when you say "What I'm trying to do is to produce my c64 games tracks using not just the SID as a synth ". I love to hear modern re-makes/mixes, but alongside your new instruments, I hope you include some reference to the original sound. Just my thoughts.
Hi Tomsk. I think that's going to be the balancing act. When i produced the original SID tracks, I often had to compromise what I had in mind, especially anything chordal. Often that compromise became the right sound though, so it is going to be tricky to know when to leave well alone. Having said that, if I'm just going to "feather dust" tracks then it won't be worth the effort. It's going to be somewhere in between and I think the first track I've worked on has that balance.

Matt
Ninja Sounds
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by Ninja Sounds »

madfiddler wrote:Interest registered. Particularly because of the quality of people it sounds like you're going to get involved with this Matt!
Thanks. Where needed I'll employ/deploy them. They are all world class in their fields. :)
madfiddler
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by madfiddler »

Duane Eddy on guitar then :D
Mayhem
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Mayhem »

I can see where Tomsk is going with his comments. For example in Driller, there are sections with heavy rapid snare drum like sounds (from about 1:53 onwards https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpneomNT6CI ). Now that would sound great as real drums, but there's something about the interpretation of that idea via the SID in the track that I think would be for the detriment if it wasn't there in the remix.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Ninja Sounds
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by Ninja Sounds »

In case anyone hasn't seen it yet. I've uploaded a preview of the first remake from my games tracks.

Dumper
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Dumper »

Thanks for that Matt, sounds really good. I think most people will be really pleased with how that's coming along.
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

As he just demonstrated, if anyone can demonstrate how to meld the old and new, it's Matt. He has been producing records for over 25 years now :)
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
tomsk
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by tomsk »

So far, so perfect! Awesome mix of old and new instrumentation. Totally in keeping with the original SID but with wonderful drums and newer synths....Brilliant!
TNT
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by TNT »

Sounds pretty good! I didn't expect a SID-Sound here, but I like it. It keeps the originality, and I love SID sounds. :)
I just have to mention that I generally would use SID sounds subdued, especially in case of a rework.
64KReady

Post by 64KReady »

Hi Matt. Thanks so much for the preview – Yes! Fantastic! Loving the new sound – kept the essence of the song but with a wonderful and well-balanced blend of SID and modern.

A few years ago I heard Stephen King speak about having the idea for Under the dome in the late 1970s but not yet having the skill to fully realise what was in his head; it seems you had a similar experience, but your limitation was technology. So pleased that you are now better able to translate your intended sound – everyone wins! Also, in my opinion, one of your strengths when you composed on the Commodore 64 was percussion, which was arguably one of the few sounds the SID didn’t do so well. The drums in this new track are such a standout; they really amplify your whole sound – keep going big with them!
Ninja Sounds
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by Ninja Sounds »

tomsk wrote:So far, so perfect! Awesome mix of old and new instrumentation. Totally in keeping with the original SID but with wonderful drums and newer synths....Brilliant!
Thanks, Tomsk. So pleased everyone is happy so far :cheers:
Ninja Sounds
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by Ninja Sounds »

TNT wrote:Sounds pretty good! I didn't expect a SID-Sound here, but I like it. It keeps the originality, and I love SID sounds. :)
I just have to mention that I generally would use SID sounds subdued, especially in case of a rework.
Thanks TNT. I think the trick is in blending the sounds so you're left with just the best elements of SID. I'm hopeful that will continue to work on other tracks. :)
Ninja Sounds
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by Ninja Sounds »

64KReady wrote:Hi Matt. Thanks so much for the preview – Yes! Fantastic! Loving the new sound – kept the essence of the song but with a wonderful and well-balanced blend of SID and modern.

A few years ago I heard Stephen King speak about having the idea for Under the dome in the late 1970s but not yet having the skill to fully realise what was in his head; it seems you had a similar experience, but your limitation was technology. So pleased that you are now better able to translate your intended sound – everyone wins! Also, in my opinion, one of your strengths when you composed on the Commodore 64 was percussion, which was arguably one of the few sounds the SID didn’t do so well. The drums in this new track are such a standout; they really amplify your whole sound – keep going big with them!
Thanks 64Ready. I hadn't heard that Stephen King quote before. Hopefully my remakes are more like that and not George Lucas adding in CGI all over the place on perfect originals ?? :lol:

PS Not comparing myself to those great guys just using them as examples :worship:
Mayhem
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Mayhem »

Liking what I've heard so far quite a bit :D
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
John64

Post by John64 »

Hi Matt. I also registered here to show my interest in your cool project. This must be the most exciting C64 related news of the year!

In the past I have played Last Ninja 2 to death, and not in the last place because of the great music. I still play the game occasionally on my C64 setup. There are some levels that I can complete really fast like for example the sewers level. In this level I always wait with killing the alligator at the end because I first want to hear the complete music (the ending part is awesome). In fact the whole soundtrack is awesome and imo the best on the C64 :)

The preview sound great so the expectations will be high :)

It's cool to have you back. Good luck with the project!

John