Back in Time Live 2007 - official thread

Radio shows, podcasts, live events, CD releases, etc...
RetroMarkie
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Back in Time Live 2007 - official thread

Post by RetroMarkie »

Not that I have a ton of thoughts on the matter ... but, 2007 .... What do we fancy doing for a live gig?

Last edited by RetroMarkie on 04/08/2006 - 6:41, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Any interests I had in this area were killed by "The Soho Lounge" rejecting us.

Chris

[edit: boy, was I made to eat THOSE words!]
Last edited by Chris Abbott on 27/09/2006 - 12:29, edited 1 time in total.
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

I'd save the money till 08, let it build up, and pile twice as much in for another gig at the brighton centre. And what of sidstock ? no plans yet ? PS: I sent you an email markie, did you get it ?
madfiddler
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by madfiddler »

I still wanna do a C64 Ceilidhe ;)
RetroMarkie
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by RetroMarkie »

Matrix wrote:I'd save the money till 08, let it build up, and pile twice as much in for another gig at the brighton centre. And what of sidstock ? no plans yet ? PS: I sent you an email markie, did you get it ?
Thats a good idea .... Brighton ... mmmmm Anyone fancy starting a pot so we could afford this? Maybe some kind of fund to assist with costs?

ref email, Yes ... expect one back soon! ;-) Things are moving this time.
merman
Forum Fish
Forum Fish

Post by merman »

Did you get MY e-mail Markie? I know Chris did.

There's a possibility of live bands at another event...
--Anyone want to remix my SIDs?--
merman1974 on Twitter, Steam and Xbox Live
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

RetroMarkie wrote:
Matrix wrote:I'd save the money till 08, let it build up, and pile twice as much in for another gig at the brighton centre. And what of sidstock ? no plans yet ? PS: I sent you an email markie, did you get it ?
Thats a good idea .... Brighton ... mmmmm Anyone fancy starting a pot so we could afford this? Maybe some kind of fund to assist with costs?

WOOHOOO !! and yeah, i'd deffo be up for a pot to throw into. Here's an idea. VIP seats at the front, donate say £2 a month for the next 12 months - that's gotta help tons, and who'd miss 50p a week anyway if it means another gig like brighton 03 ! - with ticket prices on top, surely we could do somethig REALLY special.
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Matrix wrote:
RetroMarkie wrote:

WOOHOOO !! and yeah, i'd deffo be up for a pot to throw into. Here's an idea. VIP seats at the front, donate say £2 a month for the next 12 months - that's gotta help tons, and who'd miss 50p a week anyway if it means another gig like brighton 03 ! - with ticket prices on top, surely we could do somethig REALLY special.
Hardly any original composers would come. If anyone thinks that doesn't matter, and you can get something a lot cheaper than the Brighton centre, go for it.

Chris
merman
Forum Fish
Forum Fish

Post by merman »

If Sidstock isn't going ahead...

Somewhere in the middle of the country again, like Birmingham. Mix of live bands and DJ stuff.
--Anyone want to remix my SIDs?--
merman1974 on Twitter, Steam and Xbox Live
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

merman wrote:If Sidstock isn't going ahead...

Somewhere in the middle of the country again, like Birmingham. Mix of live bands and DJ stuff.
Birmingham only worked because we had the original composers: and because it was a new concept: I don't think anyone actually got excited about the location. In general only the really committed go to places they're not attracted by.

Finances:

Let's say you've got a core audience of 150 people (any venue that could hold more than this would be out of reach financially). Let's also assume that you can get £15 out of each person (debatable). That's a maximum income of £2250.00.

Assuming you can't get a mate to do the PA, you're looking at £500 for something halfway decent. The venue might well eat up another £500 (for reference: Brighton Centre, St. Luke's and DNA were all £1500.00 + VAT).

The remaining £1150.00 has got to cover everything else: and whether that's affordably is directly linked to how many people are playing, how many airfares and hotel rooms you're paying for, and how many days rehearsal the bands will have. Equipment hire such as drumkits and backline can easily add up to £500 to the cost.

And that's assuming you have a full house.

My original idea when I was trying to get the Soho Lounge to allow us back (it used to be Gossips) was to forget the live band thing and reboot the concept to include people like Seth Sternberger and Jeroen Tel: i.e. return to SID and chipmusic. It's not that I don't like the live music, but CRC had it pretty much covered, and I thought that the SIDmusic sound had been unfairly overlooked, especially by the micromusic crowd who are all in love with Gameboys :)

That concept would have worked since the costs were relatively controlled (and because Seth would have flown over for free).

There would probably also have been a live vocalist, but only singing to backing.

Once I found I couldn't get a venue in Soho, I lost interest in the idea. Brighton just doesn't fit that kind of concept, to me, and neither do the other venues we've ended up at. It was an underground nightclub sort of concept. The name was "Back in Time Live: Reloaded"

Anyway, so much for that.

Chris
RetroMarkie
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by RetroMarkie »

From my point of view I really not interested in making cash ... just want a show.

How we do this is .... mmmm (read what Chris said)

I like the of a pot that folk could put cash into online in the build up ... see how we go. If the whole idea falls over before we get going the funds can be returned ....
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

RetroMarkie wrote:From my point of view I really not interested in making cash ... just want a show.

How we do this is .... mmmm (read what Chris said)

I like the of a pot that folk could put cash into online in the build up ... see how we go. If the whole idea falls over before we get going the funds can be returned ....
I know that, Markie. Just pointing out the difficulties we both know in even breaking even and the scale of the costs.

Rely on donations and it won't happen, unless a number of people come up with three figures, or the event programme is staggering. And it takes a lot to stagger people.

Also you might well have to put a deposit down on the venue. There's absolutely no point in even collecting money unless you know which venue: and if you do, then you're already committed even if the event doesn't go ahead...

There's only so many ways the circle can be squared:

1) Corporate donors - generally uninterested, demographic unattractive.

2) Scene donors - not enough of them

3) Keeping costs low. To a certain extent even Manchester (officially a low cost event thanks to Paul) eventually required DVD sales to break even. This is generally incompatible with getting talented people from all around Europe... unless they fly in for free to perform and don't require too much equipment or rehearsal days (which doubles the cost of hotel bills).

4) Attractive venue in attractive location but at low cost

etc.

I'd like a summer show where everyone enjoyed themselves in a nice place like Brighton or Soho, and no one was stressed about whether it was going to work or not. But I've found (as have you) that unless someone actually opens their wallet and takes that risk, nothing happens.

Chris
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

armand has had an idea for a good venue.... standby while we find out how much it costs.

PS: be pretty cool if we could get this guy there too ;) - he plays game music, on the drums :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QfwKqy3LyY
RetroMarkie
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by RetroMarkie »

An idea ...

I now have a few good contacts in the pub trade ... mostly here in Oxford ... now, a possible idea ... based on a pub that would easily hold say 150 ...

*IF* I could arrange for us to have a free pub (idea being we buy beer and food there) + be able to take over the sound system and play *OUR* tunes for the duration and *MAYBE* have an acoustic set ... How many would fancy it?

The admission price would be say a fiver per head whip round and that money goes to the musicians who play ...

Thoughts? If there is enough possitive feedback I can organise somthing for February 2007.

FEEDBACK IS VERY IMPORTANT HERE so please speak your thoughts ...
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

I don't want to sound like a stick in the mud, but i think the good days are pretty much over in regards to all this.

I think with CD's, Events n stuff people have lost that loving feeling (I know i have).

You just have to look at this forum to see that it's a fraction of what it once was.

People like myself visit it every so often and is not an hourly event as it once was.

If anything does happen, then ofcourse the very best of luck with it. But, i think it's probably time to call it a day.