Slay radio speaker loudness

Radio shows, podcasts, live events, CD releases, etc...
xo
Exosphere Resident
Exosphere Resident

Re: Slay radio speaker loudness

Post by xo »

That's a great explanation, Tron.
skitz
Scene Legend
Scene Legend

Re:

Post by skitz »

Slaygon wrote:What Tron says! :)
What Slaygon says...

Just to add, some of us have our own hardware compressors (me and Boz for sure) which we use to "limit" our Mic levels so it can sit above the music which worked well when the SlayRadio compressor compressed the hell out of things because it would quickly ramp-up the music when we were not speaking and duck the sound when we were.

As Tron says this is no longer true with the current compressor settings but I think the solution has to be at the DJ's end to tweak their settings to make sure the music is at a good level compared with the talking.

I have been considering using Side-Chaining on my compressor to "duck" the music automagically when I talk but it would mean a major change in the way I DJ and at the moment I tend to just use my mixer sliders to duck the music manually if I want to talkover a loud piece of music..

Anyway, we don't all work for a multimillion dolar radio station so when it comes to live show... you get what you get :)
DJ Skitz
email: skitz@djskitz.com
email: skitz@slayradio.org
Tron
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Re:

Post by Tron »

skitz wrote:I have been considering using Side-Chaining on my compressor to "duck" the music automagically when I talk but it would mean a major change in the way I DJ and at the moment I tend to just use my mixer sliders to duck the music manually if I want to talkover a loud piece of music..
Ooh, voice ducking works soo good for me. I use the Side-Chain to duck around 9dB when talking. High ratio, moderate to fast attack and moderate release. It sounds so profi! Experiment a bit with it Mr.Skitz. I'm sure U'll like it. :wink:
There are no problems, only solutions.
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

...or maybe the DJs have their own loudness maximizing battle going on in between them? ... there is an old saying that the ones who talk the loudest are often the ones who get heard :mrgreen:

Oh... well... I guess I'll have to say something useful too... just listen! :)

I thinkslay radio is fine, and also the only reason I'm not looping OXYGENE 24/7 here... the only rant I could have about slay radio is, that when no one is actually airing a show, I have to get my but off the couch to go and press "update" on the forum pages (which I have running at the same time) to see who the hell composed what, when I hear something I like... but I guess I do not have a solution to this problem myself anyway ... guess slay radio keeps me on the move then...
Regards, Jess D. Skov-Nielsen (Razmo).
Slaygon
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Slaygon »

razmo wrote:I have to get my but off the couch to go and press "update" on the forum pages (which I have running at the same time) to see who the hell composed what, when I hear something I like... but I guess I do not have a solution to this problem myself anyway ... guess slay radio keeps me on the move then...
Not trying to stop you from moving, but if you are logged in on http://www.SLAYRadio.org/, the NOW PLAYING bit on the home page updates automatically.