More Classical

Radio shows, podcasts, live events, CD releases, etc...
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

More Classical

Post by Chris Abbott »

Rob Hubbard just told me about this... (it was a surprise to him as well, we're wondering who did the arrangements).

Chris
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
AndyUK
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Re: More Classical

Post by AndyUK »

NICE!!!!!!! You just can't beat REAL strings and brass ( the build up at 33 seconds .. a sweet spot in that one ).. The barbarian cover was awesome and Monty, man that has the groove of a 70's TV crime caper. Well, 'carry on' caper maybe heh..

Thanks for the heads up Chris.! :nod:

Here's a closer look at that monty track .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hDpNgOC ... re=related

Their Nintendo medley is also damn cool. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqEwv1JQ ... re=related
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

Awesome.
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
Cactus
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by Cactus »

This thread ( http://loading.se/forum.php?thread_id=107818 ) says:

In 2010 Orvar Safstrom and Magnus Johansson arranged the concert Score in Gothenburg, after having had concerts in the years previous in Malmo and Umea under other names.

Now it is once again time to celebrate the game music. The name Score goes on tour and first out is Sundsvall on the 10th and 11th of February. Nordiska Kammarorkestern (The Nordic Chamber Orchestra) and the choir Vox Viva provides the music and song. Jonas Dominique is the conductor.

-It feels extra fun to be able to do a full blown game concert in a part of the country (note: very far up north) which has never had anything like this before, says Orvar Safstrom.

In Sundsvall the following is on the program (if Umea has the same schedule remains to be seen):

Uncharted 2
Super Mario Galaxy
Sonic the Hedgehog
The Legend of Zelda
Killzone 3
Commodore 64-medley
Final Fantasy IX
Bioshock 1 & 2
Dante's Inferno
Xenosaga
Suikoden 1 & 2
Secret of Mana

The mini tour moves on to Umea on the 20th and 21st of April. There, Norrlandsoperans Symfoniorkester (The Norrland Opera Symphonic Orchestra) provides the music. Conductor is Charles Hazlewood, who has previously participated in several of Orvar and Magnus' earlier productions. It will be a return to the city where the concert Settings was held three years ago. Orvar has dear memories from it:

-"This is the first time in my professional life that I have felt like a rock star", a touched violinist told me after the last concerts thundering applause, encores and seven or eight callbacks.

So it doesn't say who arranged it, but who put it on, and who played it.

I also love this bit from http://www.norrlandsoperan.se/sve/evenemang/score/3106

"The last time we did this, grown men wept openly to our Commodore medley, completely without light show or flickering slideshows."
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Imagine how the violinist would feel at a proper full Commodore 64 evening with full-length full-blooded orchestrations... Zoids done properly with full Empire Strikes Back ending... Kentilla with the full range of the orchestra, Firelord, Flash Gordon, Commando, Monty On the run, and more...

I think you'd need about GBP200,000 just to do that and have a tour with it, or GBP100,000 to just do the one concert. Which means having to do it in a 3000 venue, pack it out, and charge GBP50 a ticket. Not impossible, but not easy either. If I had a couple of million I'd probably just do it and see what happened. Heck, the 100 people actually coming would have the time of their lives ;-)

<trivia>Did you know that the original original idea for Back in Time Live 2003 was a classical concert at the Royal Festival Hall?</trivia>

Wouldn't you just love for all the C64 composers to be on stage taking a bow in their tuxedos? :)

Chris
dan gillgrass
Built from Stella and KFC
Built from Stella and KFC

Post by dan gillgrass »

If I win the lottery it shall become Chris ;)

<fnordpojk> Dan_Gillg: Is WoW down, or what brings you here? ;)
tomsk
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by tomsk »

Wow - lets pack up and go home now...cos it doesn't get any better than this ;)

Except for a full CD / DVD release of course....

And dragging them in with a new playlist for the next BIT Live even (snigger)
Mayhem
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Mayhem »

Chris Abbott wrote:I think you'd need about GBP200,000 just to do that and have a tour with it, or GBP100,000 to just do the one concert. Which means having to do it in a 3000 venue, pack it out, and charge GBP50 a ticket. Not impossible, but not easy either. If I had a couple of million I'd probably just do it and see what happened. Heck, the 100 people actually coming would have the time of their lives ;-)
The recent 25th Anniversary Zelda concert in London at Hammersmith Apollo (sitting capacity is 3632 according to website) was pretty much sold out, and was charging 40 quid and upwards per ticket. Thankfully I got in for free on a press pass heh. I imagine a bigger venue could have filled more seats.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

But that's Zelda. People have heard of Zelda :)
Mayhem
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Mayhem »

Yes. My point was that getting a venue that size and charging that sort of price is doable. But maybe not for C64 music sadly.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Doddsy
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Doddsy »

I'm surprised that the musicians wanted to do it. To them they must have felt it a all a little geeky and slightly belittling to cover a 30 year old 8-bit tune compared to playing concerto's by the classic composers. It really does show that gaming music is finally being taken more seriously.
eclexp
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by eclexp »

Wow, amazing! This is a dream I would like to fulfill with many songs I mixed and arranged. I love orchestral arrangements and there's nothing compared to the sound of real instruments, no matter how much the technology advances
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Have you been doing orchestral C64 remixes, or other stuff?
eclexp
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by eclexp »

Chris Abbott wrote:Have you been doing orchestral C64 remixes, or other stuff?
Hi, I made amiga remixes and many of them are orchestral remixes (with digital sounds yet, I did not mixed real instruments), I submited a few to amigaremixes and some are in the queue. I also play real instruments (clarinet for example). I'm not a professional, I'm amateur but I have much fun playing and mixing.

http://www.remix64.com/act/eclectic/