Voting tracks down

Post bug reports and suggestions for improving Remix64.com or AmigaRemix here. For other sites, contact the respective site maintainers directly.
generalumber
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Voting tracks down

Post by generalumber »

Is there a way to prevent people from voting tracks down on purpose to "push" other tracks?
I mean, c'mon Mr. australopitecus, a yellow smiley for "Lotus III Breathless daXX Remix" and a grey one for "Hostages - Feel the Heat Remix"??? I know, not everyone can like every song, but a little bit of objectivity should be expected.
Amok
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Re: Voting tracks down

Post by Amok »

I fear actually theres nothing to do against downvotes... :(
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

Hi,

you've kind of answered it yourself: not everyone can like a track, no matter how good the majority thinks of it. You'll never find a 100% score on any kind of art in a democratic process. If a piece of art could be valued objectively, we would not need a voting system. In other words: one man's treasure is another man's trash.

Please also read this article (especially the bottom paragraphs):
http://www.remix64.com/voting_system.html
Amok
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Amok »

Maybe it would help if there had to be at least 2 or 3 votes of 1 category (i.e. green smileys) before they influence the overall vote?
generalumber
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by generalumber »

Amok wrote:Maybe it would help if there had to be at least 2 or 3 votes of 1 category (i.e. green smileys) before they influence the overall vote?
Yeah, that's what I thought too. Or maybe just cut the worst and the best vote away. I mean, c'mon, all red and orange, and only one grey smiley, that's just suspicious.
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

Well, in the end the result is an average. The more red smilies, the less impact will a single gray or green one have.
Dumper
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Dumper »

I think while the voting system is an excellent way of receiving feedback, it's best not to take it too seriously. While some people may vote a track down unfairly, i'm reasonably sure there are some people who vote red for their own remix, i don't have proof it's just a personal opinion :) . There are some tunes that receive lots of red votes, but i may only give a yellow or orange. It's down to personal taste and overall it's quite easy to tell the quality of a remix and just ignore the low votes.
Amok
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Amok »

The only thing thats annoying on AR is there are not many votes. The only person who is active is Dr. Future. I wish Ziphoid and the other jury members would do more votes.
Ziphoid
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Ziphoid »

Amok wrote:The only thing thats annoying on AR is there are not many votes. The only person who is active is Dr. Future. I wish Ziphoid and the other jury members would do more votes.
Yeah, that's what's gonna happen. ...when there's more time to actually go through it all... Volker is doing excellent, though. Too bad not all of us jurors are as efficient as he is. :) ...and mind you, we are 10+ in the jury, so quite some people (including me) should be getting started to judge more... ;)
SceneSat founder and DJ. | Re-live moments past at reLive.nu | For an Amiga flashback - AmigaRemix.com

Jan Lund Thomsen
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Jan Lund Thomsen »

Ziphoid wrote:Too bad not all of us jurors are as efficient as he is. :) ...and mind you, we are 10+ in the jury, so quite some people (including me) should be getting started to judge more... ;)
Welcome to my world. ;)
RobinsonMason
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by RobinsonMason »

I'll give my perhaps controversial take as a C64 gamer.

I will admit I tend to give good votes to songs that remind me of favorite games I've played. There, I said it.

I never played Human Race or Comic Bakery or Flimbo's Quest back in the day, so while some tracks seem to be songs favored by remixers, I will only give a good vote to such a remix if it blows my socks off.

On the other hand, some remixers like Chronberg just resonate well with me and I never played any of games for the tunes he's remixed. And some songs from any remixer just blow my socks off anyway.

I realize I may be a minority here as a once and current C64 gamer (as opposed to a fan of Rob Hubbard SID tunes who may never have owned a C64 and has no interest in emulation for games, for example), but if the M.U.L.E. tune comes on, I feel compelled to vote well....~!

So if you want my vote, please not another one of the top 10 tunes from games that weren't really all that cool (well, to me anyway - haha) aside from the music.....do an even moderately good remix of a tune that belonged to a great game that evokes gamer memories and you're sure to get nostalgia votes from me! :mrgreen:

It's either that or pump it full of good SIDdy sounds, and that'll get my nostalgia meter high as well.

BTW, I rarely give anything an awful vote unless it truly deserves it. The time remixers put into these tunes deserves some level of encouragement, period.

A discouraged remixer might not keep making remixes, and that would shrink the community. Not a good thing!
daXX
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by daXX »

Hey.. I can live with a yellow face. It means "good" .. and its better than "shit" :)

But how you said... Taste is different between the people and especialy for Lotus Breathless i can accept, that some ppl think it getting bit boring after while... it's cauz i've arranged it for the clubs for djs to mix it in and out... :)

i should maybe upload only radiocuts soon... 3:30 - 4:00 min :)

Finaly.. Don't care to much about downvotes.. It doesn't change your live cauz this COM is just for fun...
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

Good attitude.
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

Just to add to the point of where people have different tastes, I know a lot of people rave about the Last Ninja tunes and countless of remixes have been made. I've tried listening to Last Ninja Tunes and remixes as well, but I just dont find it appealing for my taste.

Having said that, I dont go out of my way to downvote any Last Ninja Tunes. I just dont vote.
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Post by Vosla »

I never understood people downvoting remixes because they don't like the style, the original or the remixer.

Reminds me of people who visit our [exturl=https://www.thorsschmiede.de/index.php?setLanguage=2]fantasy shop[/exturl] and then write "This is all shit because I hate Live Action Roleplay, I hate Pen & Paper Roleplay, I hate history and fantasy in general!". Then... WHY ARE YOU HERE? :duh:
All is lost.