What happened to sid2midi?

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
shadowfax

What happened to sid2midi?

Post by shadowfax »

Hi everyone,

While looking for sid2midi in order to start making some SID remixes, I've found that the official webpage hasn't been updated for a long time and the web-based mail to contact the autor and getting the registered version doesn't work. I'm interested in registering, because I really need the full capabilities of the registered version, but it seems that's impossible to do this. I'm getting quite desperate and I think I'll have to give up my remix projects, as I work only in midi sequencer environtments :(

Please if someone can contact the author to get the full version or knows how to register and get it, let me know.

See you.
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

Michael Schwendt has been a regular visitor in the early Remix64 days, but he has kind of vanished, his last login has been over a year ago, and even then several people have tried to contact him without success. A shame, really, it's a useful tool.
C64GLeN
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by C64GLeN »

Perhaps he was a bit sick of his hard work being 'cracked' by other members of the c64 'scene'
shadowfax

Post by shadowfax »

Well, so the question then is: may we consider that the project has been abandoned? If so, what happens with the existent sid2midi? should we consider it's now abandonware or public domain?
Dumper
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Dumper »

Is there any chance of getting hold of the full version of Sid2midi? Or if someone could e-mail me it. If there is any problem legally sharing it then i understand if it's not available, maybe someone could let me know if it's ok or not.
the_JinX
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by the_JinX »

I also noticed monday or something .. when I was chatting with .. soemone .. on irc .. Ziphoid told me he had a higher version number.. and I couldn't get the site..

I have a licence.. but am not inclined to share it :P
ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
And when in russia, pet a PETSCII
http://annejan.com/
dan gillgrass
Built from Stella and KFC

Post by dan gillgrass »

I did have a license but when my PC went *bang* I lost it... never managed to get it back cos I couldnt get in touch with Schwendt.

<fnordpojk> Dan_Gillg: Is WoW down, or what brings you here? ;)
Condor
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Condor »

Share the licence :D
I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?
skitz
Scene Legend
Scene Legend

Post by skitz »

Condor wrote:Share the licence :D
Errr... No.
DJ Skitz
email: skitz@djskitz.com
email: skitz@slayradio.org
Michael
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by Michael »

Hey, everyone! It's not that terribly difficult to reach me, since my e-mail addresses do work except for the yahoo/geocities ones which no longer exist. Finding personal messages in 20000+ spam mails per month (!) -- as the record a few years ago -- makes such contact addresses useless despite all poor filtering and anti-spam features provided by yahoo. I've kept a screenshot of what it looked like, but cannot find it right now. Further, after a long time of not paying attention to any sid related matters except for occasional visits of rko, I've killed the sidplay home page because I simply cannot find the time and patience to either update it or reduce it to a minimum. Sorry.
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

Hi Michael,

welcome back and thanks for your information. Could you tell us if it will be possible to attain new licenses at all?

Thanks
dan gillgrass

Post by dan gillgrass »

LMan / Remix64 wrote:Hi Michael,

welcome back and thanks for your information. Could you tell us if it will be possible to attain new licenses at all?

Thanks
Or get mine back??

<fnordpojk> Dan_Gillg: Is WoW down, or what brings you here? ;)
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

Hi Michael,

Can you maybe pass on the torch to another who might want to keep the dream alive?
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
Michael
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by Michael »

Could you tell us if it will be possible to attain new licenses at all?
Currently not. Perhaps a master key or unrestricted release when I think about it. Dunno.
Or get mine back??
Sure. Just pass on your e-mail address via PM or so.
Can you maybe pass on the torch to another who might want to keep the dream alive?
It's not particularly easy to maintain. It's written in C++, does plenty of non-obvious things. And even if I published the source code, it would need somebody with enough passion and spare time to add the major changes which are necessary in order to support sidplay2 and the increasing number of RSID files.
datucker
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by datucker »

Why not make it an open source project on sourceforge.net?

And would it be possible to keep at least the latest version(s) available for download on some site hosting that (like remix64.com or rko)?
With kind regards,

DaTucker / Jarno Beumer