Complete overhaul in progress

Post bug reports and suggestions for improving Remix64.com or AmigaRemix here. For other sites, contact the respective site maintainers directly.
Ziphoid
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Complete overhaul in progress

Post by Ziphoid »

During the summer, AmigaRemix.com will be completely reworked and will be based on a new engine instead of the current one. This gives the obvious opportunity to not only change the background system, but also the frontend into something new and fresh. Because I'm a coder and no designer, I'd like some help in making it look kickass as well as I'll make it have a proper engine to run it on.

What is needed is a nice and clean design, focusing on the Amiga in a retro or futuristic way. The site will still be quite 'shallow' since it'll only be a listing of what tracks are available - apart from the submission system - which means it shouldn't be too hard to do this. I'm very fluent in CSS + XHTML, so that won't give any fuzz, but if any of you feel up for helping out with the new design, please contact me here or via the contact form on the site itself.

There really are no guidelines other than the above mentioned so the design can pretty much be in any way you create it. Just think of it as a big listing of remixes + some additional links and info and it'll be just fine. :) Also, make sure it's doable without TOO much graphics involved, since we want it to be lightweight as well as good looking.

...and yes, I plan to make the site skinnable (which it actually is right now as well, but I don't use it) so more than one design can 'win' this.

When I get hold of something good as a prize, I'll make sure to give that to the winning entry. :)

Go ahead - design like the wind!

// Ziph
SceneSat founder and DJ. | Re-live moments past at reLive.nu | For an Amiga flashback - AmigaRemix.com

Infamous
Forum God
Forum God

Re: Complete overhaul in progress

Post by Infamous »

Be nice if it could be made to look a little bit like workbench 3.0 in some way, that was always very neat and tidy. I quite like the way it works now though to be fair. Will have a proper think on what id like to see and give suggestions then as at the second im a bit drunk :cheers:
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

I suck at website design... but I can probably push some pixels in photoshop.
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
Ramaniscence

Post by Ramaniscence »

Hey,

I'm admin of ThaSauce.net and (most of) it's sub-sites, and lurker of the C64 community. I'd really like to help somehow. HOWEVER I'm not to familiar with Amiga at all. I have been able to find some screenshots of the Workbench OS, and read up a little on Wikipedia, but beyond that I really have little idea of what "focusing on Amiga" really is. I was wondering if anyone could offer me up any more examples/details? I'm sure I could figure something out on my own, but I figured I'd start by at least asking for some help since you people are pretty much the experts =P.

Thanks in advance and I'm really looking forward to getting started on working on something. :D
analoq
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by analoq »

I've done some programming for ThaSauce in the past, Rama is a great guy to work with!
Ziphoid
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Ziphoid »

Well, what I'm mostly aiming at is basically a nice way of presenting it all, preferably with an Amiga'ish logo on top or overall look. A good example would be http://www.exotica.org.uk/ but since it contains a LOT of text, it's not really the same thing as what AmigaRemix.com is. However, since I plan to make the site fully skinnable (which it already is, though), there's not certain that ONE version must be the correct one.

Try to have a look around at various Workbench themes and draw inspiration from them. Not TOO much, though. I still actually want this to be a new and fresh-looking site and I'd rather have the top (or some of the sides) part dedicated to the retro-part and keep the rest nice, tidy and good looking. :)

Oh, and I much appreciate all people who wants to help out with this. It's more fun to work together and let's face it, that's what it's all about! :)
SceneSat founder and DJ. | Re-live moments past at reLive.nu | For an Amiga flashback - AmigaRemix.com

Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

You mentioned the site will be skinable. Is there a Template we can work off of?

Or if there is no template, any general guide lines like Logo Size? Border Size etc??
Ziphoid
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Ziphoid »

Analog-X64 wrote:You mentioned the site will be skinable. Is there a Template we can work off of?

Or if there is no template, any general guide lines like Logo Size? Border Size etc??
Nah, nothing special at all, apart from that I'm gonna build it in XHTML Strict. :) Anything goes, as long as it looks good and pays a nice tribute to the Amiga in one way or another. ;)

jamon

Post by jamon »

Hello! Maybe I can help... I’m big Commodore fan and also an gfx artist/designer...
(also I done some graphics for some Amiga games - Capital Punishment and Myst)
so what we need for start is site dimensions (960 with will be nice) after that I can provide some sketches....

regards

jamon
Ziphoid
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Ziphoid »

jamon wrote:Hello! Maybe I can help... I’m big Commodore fan and also an gfx artist/designer...
(also I done some graphics for some Amiga games - Capital Punishment and Myst)
so what we need for start is site dimensions (960 with will be nice) after that I can provide some sketches....

regards

jamono/quote]
@jamon:
960 would be just perfect. The basic content will be in the line of what is there now, just presented a bit nicer. Of course some changes will occur, but it's a good starting point.

@all:
Also, do note that the system is rewritten from ground up (well, not really, since it'll be built as a subset of the engine we've built for scenesat.com) compared to the old one, so this is not only a cosmetic update. ...and there might be more sites that will get this treatment, but that is yet to be disclosed. ;)

Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

I have a couple of ideas already... now just to keep it simple. :twisted:
Ziphoid
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Ziphoid »

Small status update:

The structure has been rewritten and the overall skeleton is almost done but I still need to add a suiting layout, incorporate some external search engines and finalize the submission process. Due to way too much IRL stuff I'll have to say that this will not be done until at least the end of October (probably sometime in November, tbh), but I can ensure you it'll be worth the wait.

daXX
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by daXX »

Like this one ? :D

LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

Sleek! :nod: