Current State of Last Ninja remixes (top and least remixed)

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
JemyM

Current State of Last Ninja remixes (top and least remixed)

Post by JemyM » 13/07/2018 - 14:46

After grabbing the Matt Gray reformation album I decided on a quite nerdy project. I downloaded every Last Ninja tune with orange or greater scores on remix.kwed.org and a few additional remixes from Last Ninja Archives, sorted them by subtune and composed my own album for the car for Last Ninja 1 and 3...

I was thinking, as inspiration, to just share a nerdy list of the five most popular, then a list of the least remixed tunes from the series. Subtune is listed in parenthesis. The list of course excludes remixes not present on kwed, including albums.

The list was last updated 2018-07-13.

Top 5 Remixed Last Ninja tunes
Last Ninja 1 (7) Wilderness in-game (21 remixes)
Last Ninja 2 (2) Central Park in-game (18 remixes, +1 based on Last Ninja Remix subtune 3)
Last Ninja 1 (6) Wastelands in-game (16 remixes, +1 based on Last Ninja Remix subtune 1)
Last Ninja 2 (12) Mansion in-game (13 remixes)
Last Ninja 3 (3) Intro (9 remixes)

Never Remixed (can't find any remixes at all):
(Last Ninja 3 LN3_Lvl_5_Temple_of_Earth.sid (this is an Outtake))
(Last Ninja R (1) Intro (This is just a remix of Dungeons in-game))

Yellow Rated (only Yellow-Rated remixes exist
Last Ninja 2 (9) Office Loader (subtune 9) (excluding the Matt Gray's reformed version)
Last Ninja 3 (4) Earth (too good to be remixed? :D )
Last Ninja R (5) Basement

Only remixed once:
Last Ninja 1 (1) Wilderness Loader (by Shen Lon youtube)
(Last Ninja 1 (11) Dungeon loader (subtune 11 is also used for inner sanctum, with more remixes)
Last Ninja 1 (4) Palace Loader (by Shen Lon)
(Last Ninja R (2) Central Park (this is just a remix of Wastelands in-game))
(Last Ninja R (3) Streets (this is just a remix of Central Park in-game))

Last Ninja 2 (10) Office in-game (alternative rock by timmya4000)
Last Ninja 2 (11) Mansion loader (revenge by Pepe Pinapple)
Last Ninja 2 (13) Final Battle (trance edit by Jurek Raben)
Last Ninja 3 (5) Air (by Tony Caven/Ferrara)
(Last Ninja 3 (9) Game Over (by Tony Caven/Ferrara (the original is only 39 seconds))
Last Ninja R (6) Office Remix (by Kjetiln, radio and extended variant)

Only remixed twice:
Last Ninja 1 (9) Dungeons in-game
Last Ninja 2 (4) Streets in-game
Last Ninja 2 (6) Sewers in-game
Last Ninja 3 (8) Void
Last Ninja R (4) Sewers Remix
Last Ninja 1 (11) Inner Sanctum in-game (subtune 11 is also used for Dungeon loader, with one more remix)
Last edited by JemyM on 15/07/2018 - 5:30, edited 2 times in total.

LaLa
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Current State of Last Ninja remixes (top and least remixed)

Post by LaLa » 13/07/2018 - 14:58

Fascinating list! Thanks for putting this together! :-)

One question, though: how did you determine which subtune a remix actually remixes? Because as ziona and Slaygon found out a few months back on their Slay Radio show, the subtune designations on RKO for remixes (especially older ones) are not always correct. I don't know if it's because HVSC has shuffled some of the subtunes around in an update a long time ago, or whether remixes put the wrong subtune number into their submissions.

Regardless, to make your list more accurate it might be worth matching the remixes to subtunes by actually listening to them - unless you have done that already.

JemyM

Post by JemyM » 13/07/2018 - 15:25

LaLa wrote:
<span class="hotdate" style="color:#888;">13/07/2018 - 14:58</span>
One question, though: how did you determine which subtune a remix actually remixes? Because as ziona and Slaygon found out a few months back on their Slay Radio show, the subtune designations on RKO for remixes (especially older ones) are not always correct. I don't know if it's because HVSC has shuffled some of the subtunes around in an update a long time ago, or whether remixes put the wrong subtune number into their submissions. Regardless, to make your list more accurate it might be worth matching the remixes to subtunes by actually listening to them - unless you have done that already.
Except for two or three cases (very unusual remixes) I ignored remix.kwed and went by ear. The subtune designation I used were based on mp3's I made on the SID's as they were back in 2010. But before uploading this list I checked with HVSC 69 and they are still accurate.

Last Ninja 1 is the only game that is a complete mess. 3,6,1,7,2,8,11,9,4,10,5,11. And the 11 tune is both used for Dungeons loader and Inner Sanctum in game.

Last Ninja 2 follows perfect order but there were no Final Battle "in game", instead Mansion (tune 12) was used again.
Last Ninja 3 have 3 "non-tunes" but then follow chronological level-by-level order until 9 which is game over and 10 which is the outro.
Last Ninja Remix also follows perfect order but there were no loading tunes.

JemyM

Post by JemyM » 18/07/2018 - 15:38

Cool, five days after posting this I noticed that SoundLogic released a remix of The Palace (in game) and Crono a remix of Earth.

Chris Abbott
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Chris Abbott » 20/07/2018 - 6:32

They've all been remixed, of course, exactly once by FastLoaders on "Ninja Musicology".
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?