Dark Star WIP

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
betelzeus
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Dark Star WIP

Post by betelzeus »

Here's the latest remix I've been working on ... still a WIP for sure ... haven't even got through the whole song yet ... but getting there ... only the first 2 mins have anything...

but yeah .. hopefully i can get more time to work on this one ... sooner rather than later ...

If anyone wants to have a listen here is the link :

Anyways ... comments and constructive criticism welcome :)

Edit:
Just an update here , just uploaded another version of the song , this time a little more than just the intro anyways :D

https://soundcloud.com/betelzeus/dark-s ... pdated_wip

Just in case anyone wants to have a listen. Haven't had much time to work on this lately , but hopefully I'll get some more time soon , anyways ... maybe took a slightly different direction on this one (hopefully for the better) , i might add a few more bridges in there between sections and stuff ... maybe dunno ... smoother transition i suppose ... and add some bits here in there ... the middle can be a bit fuller i suppose ... and the end ... hmm ... not sure just yet :confusion: hahah ... all good tho ....
Last edited by betelzeus on 25/05/2014 - 0:56, edited 1 time in total.
Follower of none ; Aspiring Master of one.
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Re: Dark Star WIP

Post by Chris Abbott »

I can definitely hear where you've gone with this. You've kind of run up against the technological barriers a bit with the orchestral and choir samples: and if you're going to go orchestral, then there may need to be more dynamics in the end arrangement, where it kind of swells and fades, both overall from section to section, and within a phrase to give a more human feel. Making orchestral samples not sound like samples is hard.

Otherwise, it's a promising direction to go and the arrangement is atmospheric.

Chris
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
AndyUK
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by AndyUK »

Nice!! :) These Sampletank or other?
betelzeus
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by betelzeus »

Hey , thanks for the feedback chris. yeah those high violins are pretty abrupt , and the voice hmmm ... yeah ... i think it sounds better in my head than it does on the track hahah ....

and thanks Andy ... but emm.. All EastWest stuff Symphonic Orchestra in this case .. and Voices of Passion for the voice ... needs a bit more work anyways ... but emm... the main things I usually work with are EastWest for Orchestra and Spectrasonics for synths and drums (Omnisphere and Stylus) Altho this mix doesn't have those in it (yet anyways).

Hey thanks again guys i appreciate the feedback :)
Commie_User
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Commie_User »

I can definitely hear where you've gone with this. You've kind of run up against the technological barriers a bit with the orchestral and choir samples.
There's a lot of leeway with it though, the sound is retro in this context anyway. And if the demos of these packages are anything to go by, it's a whole new keyboard style to play 'em right. You still get the best results playing on pads or MIDI guitar for so many of 'em, right down to the convincing cheapos.

It's a solid little arrangement too.
betelzeus
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by betelzeus »

It's a solid little arrangement too.
Hey , thanks Commie :)
betelzeus
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by betelzeus »

hmmm ... the edit didn't come up as a new message ...dang ... anyways ... :duh:
Edit:
Just an update here , just uploaded another version of the song , this time a little more than just the intro anyways :D

https://soundcloud.com/betelzeus/dark-s ... pdated_wip

Just in case anyone wants to have a listen. Haven't had much time to work on this lately , but hopefully I'll get some more time soon , anyways ... maybe took a slightly different direction on this one (hopefully for the better) , i might add a few more bridges in there between sections and stuff ... maybe dunno ... smoother transition i suppose ... and add some bits here in there ... the middle can be a bit fuller i suppose ... and the end ... hmm ... not sure just yet :confusion: hahah ... all good tho ....

Hopefully i'm getting somewhere with this hahah ...