Ikari Warriors Epic

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
empee
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Ikari Warriors Epic

Post by empee »

Hi again

Another tip would be Ikari Warriors

I mean the c64 game, SID can be found on HVSC here - /MUSICIANS/B/Brooke_Jason/Ikari_Warriors.sid
the track #4 (maybe combined with #2) could be produced to a very nice epic/electronic masterpiece, in the right hands.

If there's someone that skillful, I'll be waiting.

Thanks
AvaKaty

Re: Ikari Warriors Epic

Post by AvaKaty »

Something like this? I wanted to keep the military feel hence drums are that way... it is not finished as you know after listening to it. Excuse me for the drums being a bit loud... that is how I make it and it gets adjusted when the track is finished. This is Subsong 1 and it finishes abruptly so will have to have figure doing something to fix that. Let me know what you think :)

https://soundcloud.com/ava-bishop/ikari-warriors
empee
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by empee »

That's not bad. My favorite is #4, but you may get to that afterwards :wink:

Yes, the epic-military feel is obvious and I like it. That's some good work, you did.
I just prefer more trance-like flavour
(check Lightforce (mind.in.a.box remix) from Stefan Poiss, that's some piece)
http://remix.kwed.org/index.php?search=lightforce

Anyway, I haven't made any C64 music, so don't take me seriously, just do it your way. :)

Thanks

PS: About the loud drums. I haven't noticed, it's allright.
AvaKaty

Post by AvaKaty »

I got to really liking this music so set myself to recreate it using all four sub songs. It took a lot of work to bring it all into one piece with a common tempo. I have done little to decorate this tune with instruments and drum track... it is still a work in progress but I think it is coming together, what do you think? Sub songs 1 & 2 are epic tunes but sub songs 3 & 4 are short tunes repeated many times so I've used them sparingly.
https://soundcloud.com/ava-bishop/ikari ... s-complete
empee
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by empee »

Hi,

I see, it is really getting done, shaping nicely. :nod:

First, about "repeating".
I think repeating is not bad. I personally used to like Rave songs some time ago.
That is one melody repeating itself, with varying accompany instruments.
Your song is the absolute opposite. It is going on and on, rarely repeating some patterns.
I'd compare this to most classical masterpieces (a compliment :) )

I like repeating. In a song, there is a leading melody. If it's nice, I enjoy when it's playing. When it is not playing,
I look forward to the time, when it will play again (e.g. refrain). I even replay it in my head, or whistle, while waiting.
It is a style, you chose. Don't change it now, because it is obvious, that it took a lot of work.
This is a pleasant listening, i just miss the "looking forward to something".

Now some specific criticism:
- I think the start is silent - total silence between the tones. Some echo, or background sound could fix this easily.
- The composition of the start feels weird - I mean the order (silent tones, melody, silent tones again), the second silent part somehow doesn't belong there... (just a feeling)
- The part 0:32 - 1:02 is great, thumbs up.
- The following part (subsong #4) is good, but the instrument you used feels kind of weak to express its full power.
However, changing the instrument might not be so easy, because it could make this part different/alien to its neighbour parts. I would try to empower it by adding some support (snare, or another leading instrument), but this may be difficult.
- Then there is a part feeling a little Russian (from 1:21), which I like very much. There the instrument feels good, like a mandolina.
- The tones somewhere around 1:34 just don't fit together :confusion: (and maybe also a little around 1:18, but that's meant to be so)
- The rest is very good (subsong #1), but this is where I miss the repeating. Maybe there is a place or two in it, where you could repeat the #4 and #3? But not necessarily.

Thanks for your effort. There's going to be a beautiful song made from this.
AvaKaty

Post by AvaKaty »

Ok, I didn't do a Trance version for you but I've finished working on my version. Thought you might be interested to have a listen anyway. It's an awesome piece of music to work with :)

https://soundcloud.com/ava-bishop/ikari-warriors-final
empee
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by empee »

Yes yes, as I said, a pleasant listening. :) Thanks