sid2midi / Super Huey

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
cryptoboy

sid2midi / Super Huey

Post by cryptoboy »

Do any of the sid2midi gurus here know why Super Huey ( \C64Music\MUSICIANS\N\Norman_Paul\Super_Huey.sid ) is exporting only the very first chord of the song? This happens on all the sid2midi versions I tried (0.17.8, 0.17.7, 0.11).

(Thankfully, the similar \MUSICIANS\A\Abaddon\Super_Huey_Remake.sid converts in its entirety.)
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Re: sid2midi / Super Huey

Post by Chris Abbott »

It could be Paul using an odd way of triggering notes: if he did a single note which simply changes frequency, then Sid2midi would be generating pitch bends but not new notes. Only a theory.
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
cryptoboy

Post by cryptoboy »

I'm checking out your theory...

I used psid64 to convert the SID to a PRG. Ran the program in the WinVICE emmulator, and made a snapshot. Then opened the snapshot in Infiltrator Disassembler to begin the analysis. I'm starting the process of getting the machine code to line up correctly (via "excluding bytes") so that it reads sensibly.

This should be fun. I just wish the disassembler would resolve memory location symbols (e.g. http://ripxplore.rubyforge.org/svn/lib/ ... mbols.yaml ) and allow me to annotate as I go along.

I'm new to analysis of C64 binaries using modern OSes, so this may not be the best way to pick apart SIDs -- any and all suggestions welcome. :-)
AndyUK
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by AndyUK »

Just tried it with Sid2midi 1.17.8 and loaded the output into Fruity Loops. Sounds okay to me.? Is this what it sounds like for you?

cryptoboy

Post by cryptoboy »

Hey, it looks like it worked for you!

When I convert \C64Music\MUSICIANS\N\Norman_Paul\Super_Huey.sid, I only get the first chord, and nothing else. Here's what happens: http://youdzone.com/tmp/superhuey_subtune1.mid

Any chance you could post or email the midi output? If email, then Image

Even so, I think I'll still play around with the SID disassembly (looks like fun).
AndyUK
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by AndyUK »

Do you have the time/song length set in the tools>options? But yes, i can send the Midi file, its on its way.
cryptoboy

Post by cryptoboy »

AndyUK wrote:Do you have the time/song length set in the tools>options?
Yup, that was the 1st thing I checked.
AndyUK wrote:But yes, i can send the Midi file, its on its way.
Got it, thanks!!!
cryptoboy

Post by cryptoboy »

Interesting... Super Huey is diatonic (no "black notes").