Abandoned WIP - Gauntlet 3 vs Plok

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
timforsyth
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Abandoned WIP - Gauntlet 3 vs Plok

Post by timforsyth »

I’m an idiot!

First time I’ve tried writing in 3/4 and I accidentally set the tempo to 192bpm and forgot about it. Due to several technical reasons I need it to be 96bpm but cubasis on iPadOS won’t let you stretch midi.

So this is an early work in progress, the drums are placeholders (same repeating pattern, no variations), most sections have no additional pads or interesting variety or progression (the guitars just after the start for example). It feels like a snapshot of how I work, leaping all over the placing adding random bits and pieces until it all comes together.

It was supposed to be a prog rock inspired battle of two synth solos. The second part is called Akrillic from the incredible Plok soundtrack on the SNES. The arpeggio heavy intro is me riffing on Time Trax from the MegaDrive so it started turning into a Follin tribute act. I was going to cool it down at the end with the last section of Gauntlet 3 from the Amiga. Maybe one day.

https://soundcloud.com/timforsyth/gaunt ... 5pE8urNB73
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Re: Abandoned WIP - Gauntlet 3 vs Plok

Post by Vosla »

Expected the worst by your words but it's actually not half bad. Definately worth tinkering with. :thumbsup:
All is lost.
Vred
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Vred »

I think it would be a pity, if the tune would vanish. The only thing really nagging me is the repetitive cymbal. Otherwise it gives me Yes vibes and I want the synth battle! ;)
timforsyth
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by timforsyth »

Ill definitely go back to it at some point.

The reason I’ve abandoned it for now is the bpm I hole I dug for myself. I’ll have to rebuild the whole thing from scratch or painstakingly double stretch all the notes out. Adding to this is the automation, I put a ton of effort into the Plok solo, which is all portamento automation.

Funny you should mention the cymbal…. I’ve used the GarageBand drummer personalities because I suck at drum programming. You get a good live feel, excellent range of fills, but to tweak them or use different instruments (I don’t like the sounds), you need to export them as midi, and it is here I run into my bpm issue.

So glad to hear it’s worth persevering, I think it’s got legs but I reckon I should go do something else and come back to it.