I can't whip my own back!

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
Max Levin
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

I can't whip my own back!

Post by Max Levin »

Please help me on this matter:
By extremely accurate calculations I have discovered that I release exactly 1 remix each 274:th year, and the reason is(apart from my lack of talent): I can't discipline myself.
And since I also lack the ability of fixing myself a girlfriend*, even the most horrid ones from the hellhole I live in, I can't get anyone to yell at me everytime I'm being lazy as hell.
Making music(or drawing pictures, which I also have been doing since time began) for me is like cleaning your apartment. You don't wanna do it, but then one day you do it and it makes you feel like you've done human-kind a small favour.
So how do I manage to do human-kind small favours at a higher rate? How do I get myself to yell "THIS IS YOUR WAKEUP-CALL, PAL. GO TO WORK!" at my self?

(*)by the way: scratch "girl"
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

You know, that's a damn good question. I think it boils down to:

1) Nothing is going to happen unless you really need it to happen: not just want, but need.

2) Visualise the finished track/CD

3) Use other people's stuff just as a starting point, then change everything about it. It's easier to edit than create. If there's a drum loop that inspires you, rip it mercilessly, use it as the basis of something, then replace it in the finished product with something original.

4) Make it easy to start by putting everything you need in the place you need it: so you can just sit down and go

5) Don't give up. While you're working on it, imagine yourself enjoying how good the final is, and assume that the only obstacles that stop you getting there are mere practical details.

6) Break jobs into small chunks, where each chunk will take you a couple of hours. You don't set out to create a Cheesemakers CD, you set out to create a killer drum/bassline. Perhaps many of them. Then you come back to each one later and add a little something else.

7) Failure is merely success at finding out what not to do ;-)

8 ) Assume you will succeed - eventually

9) If it feels like you're out of your depth, then you're learning stuff. If it's scary, that means the lesson will be learnt really well.

9) Deadlines REALLY concentrate the mind

10) All jobs will only be finished at 1am before the absolute last deadline date.

And that's me, Paul McKenna, signing off ;-)
Tonka
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Tonka »

Good advice, Chris - think I'll try a few of those myself!

Now for my advice - smash up your modem with a very big hammer, tie the remains to a brick and throw it in the river :lol:

Seriously though, the internet/emails are my main source of distraction when trying to complete - well, just about anything in life, really! My output was far higher when I just used my old Amiga for sequencing and no internet.

I now physically unplug my modem and put it in another room before I start. I also make a day of it at the weekend (writing/remixing), rather than trying to fit in a few hours here and there - that never seems to work.

Of course, as a person who manages about 1 remix per decade, you can take all this advice with a pinch of salt... :wink:

Tonka
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Post by Vosla »

@Max:
Hmm... I bet it doesn't give you a lift that at the mo I've succeeded to fail in almost EVERY aspect of what you may consider a "real life" ?
...When even taking the trash out is a small victory...

Pessimists MUST be the happier kind of people.
They expect the worst... everyday... to be dissapointed in a positive way most of the time...
All is lost.
dan gillgrass
Built from Stella and KFC
Built from Stella and KFC

Post by dan gillgrass »

Tonka wrote:Good advice, Chris - think I'll try a few of those myself!
/me mutters something about Tonkas' output and wanting another Palace Gardens then continues to mutter about orchestral Batman and kicks himself in the balls

<fnordpojk> Dan_Gillg: Is WoW down, or what brings you here? ;)
trace
Forum God
Forum God

Post by trace »

Like you're advices there Chris, i have a temporarily meltdown right now can't produce anything.
Tonka wrote:Now for my advice - smash up your modem with a very big hammer, tie the remains to a brick and throw it in the river

Seriously though, the internet/emails are my main source of distraction when trying to complete - well, just about anything in life, really! My output was far higher when I just used my old Amiga for sequencing and no internet.
It IS soooo true, You surely hit the nail with the head there Tonka :)

When i buy a new computer there will never be any internet on that, strictly music.
(Carpe Diem Seize the day)
Soundcloud PowerTrace
c64-> /various/M-r/Noise_of_SID
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

I was thinking of writing a similar post. I've been a member here since 2002 and I have yet to record a C64 Remix.

I have lots of ideas, but every time I sit down and try to record I get intimidated with all the technicalities, so I end up recording else or recording nothing at all.

I have 2 songs in early stages but haven’t touched them in weeks. Life stuff gets in the way and takes me a while to get the urge again.

This past Friday as an example we had such hard rain that, the neighborhood flooded and my truck got flooded too, I spend $600 already with repairs and its still not running as it should.

Anyways, I'm not sure what kind of motivation I'm going to need to finally do a C64 Remix.

I've release 0 C64 every 200000 years ;)
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
Max Levin
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by Max Levin »

Thanks for the tips everyone, but I know on what point the shoe really hurts:
Chris Abbott wrote: 1) Nothing is going to happen unless you really need it to happen: not just want, but need.
Barely anyone but me likes my music, and since I have such a good imagination(and greater ego) I play my music, as I would like it to sound, in my head. Just like that I have my music as served by a genie! The only problem is that I can't turn the volume to the max, but shit the same, I still don't need to release anything for a mass of shrugging shoulders.
I bury my career here and now, I just succeeded to install old Carmageddon(that game kicks ass!) :P
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

I like your music, Max. In fact, a couple of weeks ago I said to Chris: "Would be cool if Max would release a full happy hardcore album." It's more important to please the few who appreciate your kind of music than the great crowd.

About the release-blockade: same here (you know best, can't even manage to finish our little tune.) It's a shame, but I feel a similar kind of inability to pull it off. My release count 2005: 0.

Andrew Gilmour is also waiting for me to finish a collab tune (which I eagerly wanted to do btw...)

- Markus
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

Max Levin wrote:Thanks for the tips everyone, but I know on what point the shoe really hurts:
Chris Abbott wrote: 1) Nothing is going to happen unless you really need it to happen: not just want, but need.
Barely anyone but me likes my music, and since I have such a good imagination(and greater ego) I play my music, as I would like it to sound, in my head. Just like that I have my music as served by a genie! The only problem is that I can't turn the volume to the max, but shit the same, I still don't need to release anything for a mass of shrugging shoulders.
I bury my career here and now, I just succeeded to install old Carmageddon(that game kicks ass!) :P
I don't think thats true max. Your style is different to many but that doesn't mean no one likes it. I concur with Lman in saying i like the stuff you've done too.

I agree with Chris's statement though, it's not something you want to do its something you NEED to do. I for myself have often (in the past) messed about with such music utils and although i want to i don't feel the burning ambition to actually do it. I'd rather go to the pub or watch football these days.

I also think age has much to do with things, although i don't class myself as old at 33 years of age but i already notice that things i used to easily pick up at 16/17 etc don't seem to be that easy these days. I remember the stuff i did back on the ST and to do anything simular now seems way too daunting.
honorabili
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by honorabili »

What usually works for me is living a life like in the movie Pi. What sucks is when you work on something and then the computer becomes aware of what it is and it decides to buy the farm. :P
Max Levin
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by Max Levin »

Honorabili! :D
I'll have to see that movie now :)
Let's see if I can atleast release something before this year ends...
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

honorabili wrote:What usually works for me is living a life like in the movie Pi.
Mmmmmm, pi.....
DHS
Forum God
Forum God

Post by DHS »

it works this way for me:

During the day, could be that i feel the need to put down some notes. When home, i'm fo fuckin' tired that i just prefer to whatch some bullshit on tv or listen to Boz's Bollocks on slayradio :>

But there are times in wich i can't simply avoid doing music or noise; it's a compelling need that i must satisfy.

You should find some *motivation* to make music (eg: to impress some lady :)), but the truth is that you can do music, good music, only when you are happy and have fun making it. Simple as that.

:)
--
DHS of The SoundWavers
http://soundwavers.com/
Romeo Knight
Supreme Strumming Daddy
Supreme Strumming Daddy

Post by Romeo Knight »

DHS wrote: but the truth is that you can do music, good music, only when you are happy
That's wrong.
DHS wrote:and have fun making it. Simple as that.
That's right.
:P