What sequencing package do you use? Rsn, FL, Cbs, Renoise?

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
Tron
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Tron »

Hya,

I use Reason. And the Reason is simple: I don't like to read manuals. In my past I've played with just about every device that can be found in a studio and Reason offers the usual functionality for each of those devices and looks/routs pretty much the same as in real life.

Reason does sound very primitive when it comes to synthesis, filtering, reverb and distortion. Digitally primitive, that is. But over the years I've found some ways to mask that.

Poor effect quality set aside, the synthesis really sux. So the one thing I'd like to add is real analog synthesis in the form of my HardSID Quattro. But since Reason does not offer Midi-Out, I still have to find a very simple midi-sequencer, without bells and whistles, to import the Midi data into from Reason.

I think I'll prolly never use anything else than Reason, because I'm a lazy f*ck. ;-)
There are no problems, only solutions.
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

I'm the tottal opposite, I find Reason hard to use and so I stick with FruityLoops.
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
m.a.n.d.r.o.i.d(electro)

Post by m.a.n.d.r.o.i.d(electro) »

i use logic gold 5.5

works well with my dual g4 with dual processor support too,
never crashes.

only use it for sequencing audio/midi/recording

and drums(replacing the mpc)

i use analogue hardware for synthesis
between the oscar and prophet vs i can do a hi quality sid emulation :lol:
kiss my juno 6 sid emulation
Firefox
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Firefox »

Well well well, a fellow Logic user. Now we're talkin'.

I'm using Logic pro 7.3 and I find it very powerful. You can route everything and even make your own gadgets in the mixer except for the standard ones.

And then there is the Apple loops thingy. Just great way to use loops like drums and bass. And they adjust automatically to the tempo of the song.

If you have a bass loop you can even transpose it in realtime. Works like Liquid instruments. Anyone tried Melodyne software? Shure rocks like hell.

When I saw the demo movie of it you just laughed like crazy. IMO it's a kick ass application.

But I think composing software is like food. Everyyone has their own favourite dish :lol: ...

Logic works for me as I have used it since I started composing "Real" music if I may call it that 8) . I tried Cubase on an old Mac Classic I had and it sucked big time. Wouldn't play the notes in time and small timing errors occurred. Since then I can't stand Cubase. The interface looks messy and too many steps to get an VST to play (Choose channel, Midichannel and then the VST.

In Logic you just press the pluginbutton on the channel you want and choose the plugin you want to use. Easy peasy :wink: ... Ok ok, so it's just one more step in Cubase. But that is one too much for me :lol: ...

The end result of the track is what matters so happy music making with your favourite gear....

/Jimmy
m.a.n.d.r.o.i.d(electro)

the evoc 20 vocoder is a pretty usefull app for logic,
i use vocoders a lot in my music and find it very good.
also the akai dc works well in logic,, :)

if you program it well its possible to get great sounding intelligeble results.

although i love logic audio,im not too impressed with apple at the mo,
since they bought out emagic ,they have monoploly on logic,
my brother found this out recently as he has a logic setup and his dongle recently packed in for no reason.apple /emagic were extremely unhelpfull,,unwilling to replace protection dongles since january this year,,said he had to purchase a newer logic package,which means he would also need a newer mac to use it with as he has a g3..

talk about holding people to ransom..
Marcel Donné
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Marcel Donné »

Today, after a 2 month wait for the US Postal Service, I finally received my new sequencer. Well, when I say new I meant to say that it's rather old but it's new to me, and it was dirt cheap. Oh, and it's dedicated hardware. Nearly forgot to mention that ;)

So my first mission tomorrow morning is to get a 220V-->110V converter and try this baby out.

Oh, nearly forgot to tell you what it is ;) It's a (nearly) vintage Yamaha QX1 :D
Tonka
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Tonka »

Marcel Donné wrote:Oh, nearly forgot to tell you what it is ;) It's a (nearly) vintage Yamaha QX1 :D
You sick, SICK man! This isn't some kind of a MASOCHIST forum, y'know ;)

First dedicated hardware sequencer I ever used was a Yamaha QX21:

I believe it was also the last :D
Firefox
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Firefox »

m.a.n.d.r.o.i.d(electro) wrote:the evoc 20 vocoder is a pretty usefull app for logic,

my brother found this out recently as he has a logic setup and his dongle recently packed in for no reason.apple /emagic were extremely unhelpfull,,unwilling to replace protection dongles since january this year,,said he had to purchase a newer logic package,which means he would also need a newer mac to use it with as he has a g3..

I feel sorry for your brother. But I can in some sense understand Apple. You just can't keep support for very old programs. But on the other hand I havn't a clue what version of Logic he has.

But I guess it is like that. It's unfair but the company needs to develope newer things...

So what happends now then? Is your brother stuck in nomansland?

/Cheers
Firefox
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Firefox »

Marcel Donné wrote:Today, after a 2 month wait for the US Postal Service, I finally received my new sequencer. Well, when I say new I meant to say that it's rather old but it's new to me, and it was dirt cheap. Oh, and it's dedicated hardware. Nearly forgot to mention that ;)

So my first mission tomorrow morning is to get a 220V-->110V converter and try this baby out.

Oh, nearly forgot to tell you what it is ;) It's a (nearly) vintage Yamaha QX1 :D
I used to have this waaayyyy back in the time. The Yamaha RX21 Drum machine.

Are you getting the old sequencer just for fun or what? What are you using otherwise?

/Jimmy
Tonka
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Tonka »

m.a.n.d.r.o.i.d(electro) wrote:the evoc 20 vocoder is a pretty usefull app for logic,

Seriously - if this happened to me, I would just D/L a cracked version :shock: He has every right to if he owns a legit copy and Apple are not replacing the dongles (which are a useless and expensive form of copy protection anyway)...

Maybe Apple are just too busy replacing duff ipod batteries to help! :twisted:
Romeo Knight
Supreme Strumming Daddy
Supreme Strumming Daddy

Post by Romeo Knight »

This was my first dedicated audio production device:

m.a.n.d.r.o.i.d(electro)

Firefox wrote:

I feel sorry for your brother. But I can in some sense understand Apple. You just can't keep support for very old programs. But on the other hand I havn't a clue what version of Logic he has.

But I guess it is like that. It's unfair but the company needs to develope newer things...

So what happends now then? Is your brother stuck in nomansland?

/Cheers
yeah,,sorry firefox,,, forgot to mention which version he has,,its the logic big box
package they did about 3 years ago version 5 of the basic logic audio
i think.. ,,

i can understand apple wanting people to upgrade computers and stuff
but not suporting something that is 2-3 years old is out of order i.m.o.
the protection dongle is a bit of a rip off in that respect..

yeah tonka, maybe it would serve apple right if we reverted to cracked software....

on the subject of older hardware sequencers,,my first sequencer was
a korg sqd1 which was great at the time,also sequenced my older roland stuff,tb303,mc202,, with din sync/midi.. :D
Marcel Donné
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Marcel Donné »

Firefox wrote:Are you getting the old sequencer just for fun or what? What are you using otherwise?

/Jimmy
It's mostly fun :) Unfortunately the internal 5.25" floppy drive is on the blink so I just ordered a 3.5" replacement drive. The unit won't work without a floppy drive as it's used as RAM

It also allows me to get away from PC recording from time to time and I'm told that the QX1 is a great companion for the Yamaha TX816 module. But I'm a die-hard Cubase user since 1988 :D
Tonka
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Tonka »

m.a.n.d.r.o.i.d(electro) wrote: yeah tonka, maybe it would serve apple right if we reverted to cracked software....
I dumped MED Soundstudio years ago because of their stupid password protection system (in fact, one of the guys there actually ASKED me to go and use someone else's software and stop bugging him about it)!

Making music and maintaining inspiration is hard enough without pissing about with dongles and copy protection, IMO.

I'm really of an opinion that copy protection is an expensive farce. Months of work put into a copy protection routine, only to be cracked (again) within a couple of weeks. Who pays for these expensive, time consuming routines? People who actually buy the software - how screwed up is THAT? :evil:
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

My first Sampler Hardware:

Used it on my Amiga 1000
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120