What sequencing package do you use? Rsn, FL, Cbs, Renoise?

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
Tonka
Forum God
Forum God

Re: What sequencing package do you use? Rsn, FL, Cbs, Renoise?

Post by Tonka »

Max Levin wrote:Is there a good sequencer/tracker-homebrew for Nintendo DS you people use? The flashcart-possibilyteis should be endless, I presume.

http://nitrotracker.tobw.net/
Max Levin
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by Max Levin »

I thank you very much!
Sidman 64
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Sidman 64 »

Tonka wrote:
Max Levin wrote:Is there a good sequencer/tracker-homebrew for Nintendo DS you people use? The flashcart-possibilyteis should be endless, I presume.

http://nitrotracker.tobw.net/

WOW... this is fantastic stuff.. Can't believe there's a decent tracker for my DS !!!

Thanks for the link :D
Sidman 64
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Sidman 64 »

Here's another tracker program this time on the PSP ....

http://www.dspmusic.org/psp/

Spec details sound great and the demo songs you can listen to are good as well..

And its free :)
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

Thanks for the links. I found nitrotracker easy to use and was able to convert a Karsten Obarski classic very easily.

I will try the PSP one now.
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
Zzr
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Zzr »

Amiga :
Protracker, later on then Face the Music

PC :
Cubase, but i didnt like it so i switched to Cakewalk Pro Audio (mostly midi + recording guitar with cakewalk)
today i work with Jeskola Buzz only. just Soundforge for support.
k_rostoen
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by k_rostoen »

kristian rostoen wrote:Tried a bunch of applications, but so far I prefer Reason.
I still like Reason, but Cubase is sailing up as a favourite even though I don't understand much of it ;)
On the C-64 most of what I did was done in Digitalizer, but the last tunes were made in SDI (Sid Duzz It).

These days I wanna put up a C-64 again, but haven't got hold of any yet. I guess I could do it the emu way, but people have been talking about nasty sound-delays when making music on emu and that doesn't tempt me very much. A physical C-64 takes so much space too. Would be nice if I could hook it up to an LCD-screen and an external HD.
Experto credite!
datucker
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by datucker »

Since 2001 I stick with Reason. The first serious thing I did in Reason was my first C64-remix ever: Commando 2001.

Before Reason - and remixing C64-tunes - I used:

1992 - 2001 Cubase v1.0.1 to v3 (just for sequencing and controlling hardware synths)
1989 - 1992 Sound-/Protracker (Amiga)
1986 - 1992 Soundmonitor, Rockmonitor, Future Composer, DMC and even: Steinberg Pro 16/TNS, attached to my Yamaha DX21 synthesizer (not very useful though as the synth wasn't multitimbral) :cheers:
With kind regards,

DaTucker / Jarno Beumer
Ahriakin
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by Ahriakin »

Cakewalk Sonar Prod 8...well currently just the Sonar 2.x bits as I'm getting used to it all again after a big gap ;)
mixer
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by mixer »

Since 199x Steinberg I've used Cubase series, currently working with Cubase SX 2.2 for many years. Prior that I used Dr.T's KCS, which is still my favourite midisoftware.

I am Currently planning on upgrading to Cubase 5 and to a 64bit platform (Intel i7 920 with gigs of fast ram) Vista or Windows 7 as soon as I become convinced that it is a working combination and that the new software is worth the Euros it costs and adds significantly to what SX 2 does - and that necessary existing plugins can be used or upgraded.

At the moment, the only major difference of 64 bit is the added memory to operate the huge new samplelibs. Other than that the SX 2 does the same tricks as Cubase 5.

PS. Quality of crackers has degraded significantly. They all have now either joined the dark side or can't get around a simple dongle protection anymore ;) Can't try before buy no longer. One just have to accept any crap in any package. ;)
o2
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by o2 »

A few days ago after a long time of thinking i actually bought Cubase Producer pack. After playing around with it for a few days. I can say that it was a huge difference between Cubase SX2 (wich i used before) and Cubase 5. One thing ive noticed directly was how much faster Cubase 5 is. If its because of my comp, the new soundcard or just becuase of Cubase. I cant tell.
But for the lilttle experience ive had with Cubase 5 for a couple of days.. I can say.. It was worth the money. On the other hand.. I needed a soundcard aswell. A real difference between the new one and my old Soundblaster card.

Cheers
o2
All ET's arent nice!!
shayning

Post by shayning »

I use Ableton Live 7 and two main synth vsts: v-station and NI massive.
trace
Forum God
Forum God

Post by trace »

o2 wrote:A few days ago after a long time of thinking i actually bought Cubase Producer pack. After playing around with it for a few days. I can say that it was a huge difference between Cubase SX2 (wich i used before) and Cubase 5. One thing ive noticed directly was how much faster Cubase 5 is. If its because of my comp, the new soundcard or just becuase of Cubase. I cant tell.
But for the lilttle experience ive had with Cubase 5 for a couple of days.. I can say.. It was worth the money. On the other hand.. I needed a soundcard aswell. A real difference between the new one and my old Soundblaster card.

Cheers
o2
Cool, I must see that next time we visit :D
(Carpe Diem Seize the day)
Soundcloud PowerTrace
c64-> /various/M-r/Noise_of_SID
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

Well... I've been messing around with different solutions for about the last half a year or so... wanting the perfect timing of hardware sequencers, but the flexibility of a computer based sequencer... unfortunately, it does not exist (for me), so I decided to go back to using SONAR as I've been for many years.

The problem for me is, that I use only hardware synthesizers... so MIDI timing is crucial to me, and SONAR is about the only sequencer of the more popular ones, that does not have a hardware MIDI interface with timestamping like the Emagic AMT-8 for Logic, or MIDEX for Steinberg Cubase.

This gives the problem, that you have to deal with shitty USB MIDI interfaces, that introduce jitter into the MIDI stream and generally fucks up any MIDI timing if you are picky about that... and so I am! :roll:

But recently I've run into some interfaces from EDIROL... in fact most MIDI interfaces from EDIROL (including the new ones with Cakewalk labeled on them) have special fast transfer protocols, that has special drivers for them, so that USB MIDI is pretty darn good... in fact I do not think there is any other non-timestamp MIDI interface out there that will be able to do it better than these interfaces.

First of, those that are purchaseable at the moment are small, and have only 3 ports max (some can be chained together for up to 9 ports), and this is just not enough for me, so I eventually stumbled over an older interface that EDIROL did, that has the same protocol, namely the UM-880... it's a 1U rack that has 8 inputs and 8 outputs, and allow for up to 4 devices to be connected for a total of 32 MIDI ports, and the drivers are even supporting Windows 7, and all the way down to Windows 98... now THAT IS SUPPORT!!! :shock:

I managed to find one of these interfaces, and are currently looking for one more... I've made a simple test af a small ACID bassline I did on a hardware drummachine (KORG ESX-1)... I had this drummachine play it's internal drums, and control a MAM MB33 Mk2 (TB-303 clone) with it's MIDI out connector.... then I transferd the exact same sequence into SONAR and played both the drummachine and the MB33 mk2 via the EDIROL UM-880 MIDI interface for comparison.

This is the result: http://razmo.ziphoid.com/HCTEST.mp3

Now see if you can hear which one is hardware controlled, and which is computer controlled :) ... anyways, my problem has been solved... I'm on SONAR 8)
Regards, Jess D. Skov-Nielsen (Razmo).
DHS
Forum God
Forum God

Post by DHS »

Cubbie, bye bye.

Switched to Live. And fuckin' happy about that :)
--
DHS of The SoundWavers
http://soundwavers.com/