Nonterraqueous WIP

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Nonterraqueous WIP

Post by Razmo »

Hi everyone! :)

Work has started again... and this time my ever-watchful eyes has been focusing in on the work of David Dunn. Nonterraqueous to be exact... I've decided to go for a genre that I call "Synphonic Orchestral", and would like to hear you peoples opinion on this short riff of the initial "lead up" to the main part of the tune.

It's my intention that it will vary between this slow pace majestic version and a doubble up tempo beat with more agressive percusion grooves (which has not been done yet, but think prodigy-like drum'n'bass like rhythms and aggressive distorted robot voices... yeah yeah.. I know... again :mrgreen: ).

The melody line has been changed slightly to fit the score better, so don't tell me it's not note-on-spot... I know! :wink:

I want a majestic "orchestral feel" with this tune, but played with synths and stuff.

What do you say? is this a no-no or a go-go? :)

http://razmo.ziphoid.com/Nonterrequeous_WIP.mp3
Regards, Jess D. Skov-Nielsen (Razmo).
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Re: Nonterraqueous WIP

Post by Analog-X64 »

I like it so far.. :)
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

Thanx Analog-X :)

Now I've heard it "the day after", and there has to be some change to the strings, as they are rather sterile and slowish... I'll have to put some more expression into them to sound a bit more "Synphonic" :lol: ... think my Breath Controller will take care of this...

Otherwise I'm pretty happy with the basic theme here... also the percussion will be much more varied... my new PadControl from KORG has really amazed me in it's crative possibilities... you'd not normaly think that just playing some 16 pads would do you no real advantage, but the responsiveness of these pads and the way in with it's played give you some really dynamic playing... in the past, programming drumtracks has really bored me, but now it's fun and inspireing beyond belief!

You'd be amazed how much more expression you can make with such a controller... it just sound so much more live, and you can tap your fingers extremely more accurate and fast than on a keyboard.
omoroca
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by omoroca »

Sounds good to me, too.

If Prodigy-like means to you that you will do breakbeats in the fast part - go ahead! We have more than enough UNZ UNZ tracks here already, we need something fresh and dynamic.
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

Omoroca... yes! it's especialy fast breakbeat drums like Prodigy I'm thinking of... take the current speed of the tune, and imagine some breakbeat groove at double the speed, and you have pretty much what I want... it still have to have a certain synphonic spirit to it, so it's a challenge...

As for the unzy "dilemma" you seem to have, I understand you... nut the unzy stuff in itself, but rahter that much of it does not show off anything new or personal... it sounds professional and well mixed and produced, but much lack individuality if you ask me... but again, if that is what the artist wants, that be his decision... sometimes you just WANT to sound like the rest... sometimes "sticking out" can be very negative to the response you get also.

Personaly I just do what I want to do... nobody is paying me for it, so I'll please myself with what I do, and then people can take it or leave it.

oh!... and now I made a small novel out of your post! :lol: ... you can take it!
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Post by Vosla »

Nice! Any news about this?
All is lost.
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

Vosla: Not worked on it for a little while... I'm doing some electronics at the moment and want to finish my FM synth before starting creative stuff again :) ... but it's the next one in line still... I've allways wanted to do this tune as it has a certain feel I like... funny that many of my favourite tunes comes from robot games (R1D1, Nonterraqueous, One Man & his Droid etc.).
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

Naturally being a Razmo being a Robot himself, he tends to gravitate towards anything to do with Robots. :twisted: :)
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

Hmmm... you might have somethin' there ANX! :confusion:
Dumper
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Dumper »

Ha-ha!

Ha-ha!
Razmo has a thing for

Oooops wrong thread. :)
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

Razmo wrote:Hmmm... you might have somethin' there ANX! :confusion:
:mrgreen: There better be some vocoding!! Or else... :bash:
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

Dumper: Yep!... you're absolutely right!!! ... I like robots! :mrgreen:

Funny enough, I've never been one of those die hard StarWars fans... I'm still pissed, that Paradroid has no real music, cause I loved that game on the C64, it's one of the best in my opinion ever made. I'm REALLY tempted to "remix" it anyways, cause it still have many really unique effect sounds... melodywise, it would have to be original work though...
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

Analog-X wrote:
Razmo wrote:Hmmm... you might have somethin' there ANX! :confusion:
:mrgreen: There better be some vocoding!! Or else... :bash:
You can be 110% certain there will be vocoding FX in there... most likely also some FS1R formant sequencing.... it's heavily robot influenced this game, so it's logical.

some sinister robot voice saying something like "N-n-o-n-n-n-t-e-r-r-a-q-u-e-o-u-u-s-!"
and since the robot you control in the game is some sort of "Giant Eye" then maybe something like "I'l be watching you!" or similar stuff... something to keep the spirit of the game... the game also builds on the concept of "don't touch anything or die!" mentality... maybe I can get somethin' out of that as well...
Scyphe
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Scyphe »

It just struck me in the head like a 10 mile asteroid from the Eagle Nebula:

The robotic/electronic voice used in the first song on ELO's Time album. It's a classic album but I just realized that may be what you're looking for as far as inspiration for roboty voices. I remember when I was ~11 years old and heard that song for the first time. It was like Star Wars-on-Steroids. :duh:
"...Yes, I DID make modules and demos on the Amiga, but I was never in one of the big groups..."
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

Scyphe: SURE! that may be worth a listen! :) ... I'll have a listen at this later on.