Martin Galway Yie Ar Kung Fu

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
CZ Tunes
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Martin Galway Yie Ar Kung Fu

Post by CZ Tunes »

Hi.
I start with a new remix.
Yie Ar Kung Fu II ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zicetzI0yw )
Now i will try to make a Yie Ar Kung FU I+II Remix.
But the Theme from Yie Ar Kung Fu I is from Jean Michel Jarre (Magnetic Fields Part IV).
Must i stop my two in one remix,before i get in trouble?
May i finsih the remix and can i upload it to RKO?
I need a little help.

I hope someone understand my broken english here. Sorry for that. ;)

Nice greets CZ-Tunes
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Re: Martin Galway Yie Ar Kung Fu

Post by Analog-X64 »

Nice remix CZ and glad you are still remixing.
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

CZ Tunes: I don't see no harm done... lots of other tunes on RKO have remixes of C64 tunes that are either derrivatives or covers from originals... But you'd better wait for Chris' response ultimately... He'll know for sure :) ... I know though, that Chris once told me that Airwolf would be ok , and that's a commercial TV series tune... as long as you so not sample the original you should be safe... at least that's the perspective I've got from talking with Chris about things... so if I'm wrong... Chris'll have to correct me :wink:

I don't do copyright research... I do music... I don't have time for that! ... If Timbaland can act that way, so can I (we) 8)
Regards, Jess D. Skov-Nielsen (Razmo).
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Technically it would be illegal, but no more illegal than covers of "Zoids".

The main question is whether it would pass the RKO filter: and that probably depends entirely on how much like Jarre it sounds like, and what the balance is between Yie-Ar 1 and Yie-Ar 2. And how much coffee the jury had. And if Jan got out of bed only to put his foot on a bit of lego. And the state of the Polish economy.

Chris
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

Chris Abbott wrote:Technically it would be illegal, but no more illegal than covers of "Zoids".

The main question is whether it would pass the RKO filter: and that probably depends entirely on how much like Jarre it sounds like, and what the balance is between Yie-Ar 1 and Yie-Ar 2. And how much coffee the jury had. And if Jan got out of bed only to put his foot on a bit of lego. And the state of the Polish economy.

Chris
The same ol' story ... it depends ... but you can always count on that you cannot count on anything... use your common sense, and in most cases this is defined by this one question: "Are you earning money on it?" ... and then of course if the "RKO Perculator" lets you seep through... wonder how often RKO needs a "filter-change"? :mrgreen:

Actually it's kind of strange really cuase many tunes that are not from the C64 originally I heard on the C64 first... and as such, the C64 ones are my "originals"... Tarzan, Airwolf, Zoids and numerous other Hubbard "originals"
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

Piet_B wrote:I can't imaginate that everyone taking commercial originals in the 80's had ask the original composer, even in the demo scene. There are a flood of very good covers from Madonna, Pet Shop Boys, Depeche Mode and even Jean Michel Jarre. And I don't really believe that there is any trouble for a song being remixed almost 20 years before in a C64 game. By the way: Bombjack is another example. The original is also a well known track by Jean-Michel-Jarre.

The commercial scene is much harder: There are several remixed like "Summer of 69", sold in different versions the 2nd or 3rd time even for making money, no matter what quality it is (and most of these covers are just cheap shit). It's a hard competition between lots of DJ's around the world and the time period between original and a remix release is going smaller and smaller. DJ's are remixing other DJ's remixing an original.

Serious: We're just talking about "computer game remixes" with which we're not earning any cent like remixes for commercial stuff where breaks of laws could be 1000x more worrying that the remixes here. So who cares there what we're doing here??? - Just do it, CZ-Tunes!!! :wink:
I'm with you... as far as the non-technical part of it goes. As long as no money is involved, most original copyright owners would probably not care to bother... Then there can be situations where loyalty comes into play like with RKO... on RKO it has to seep through both quality and C64-ethical criteria also (which is fair enough)...

But no matter how much I'm with you on the non-technical site of it all, it is still not really legal in the technical sense, and many times this is so stupidly so, even if the reason may seem ... well stupid! ... A guy asks me, if he can take a sample of a TR-808 Kick from a pirated sample CD... no... but he can take the self same drumsound from a free library on the net. same thing with compositions... so if you are telling this guy to do it, he'll still be breaking copyright.

It's just one of those isues where you HAVE to say NO! ... it's not legal, but "under the table" you say "just do it!... no one will give a fucking shit about it, as long as you earn no money and do not offend people (not refering to the original artist is a usual "deal-breaker" here)... Timbaland broke both of these unspoken rules.

It's basically very simple to calculate what you "can do"... as long as you do not considerably earn anything the original artist would want, you are "safe"... and in almost every aspect of this, this boils down to two key components: Money and Fame... I cannot see any other things you could gain from music.... but again, this has to be measured in terms of "how much violation"... the hugely famous artist with thousands of fans, might not react the same to his work being used by less famous artists the same way a not so famous one would eract to a famous person using HIS work (even if both money and fame are not breached).

This is simply the human form of "territorial pissing!"... it's that simple :wink:
CZ Tunes
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by CZ Tunes »

I thank all people for their answer's.
or should i send a mail to J.M.Jarre?
Ok,no i get in a working room and try to translate it in german. ;)
Thank you all!

I still work on the remix!

Your CZ-Tunes

THANKS ! ! ! :D :D :D