XMas already ?

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
PsychNerD
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

XMas already ?

Post by PsychNerD »

OMG, look what the big guy dropped a month early !

I guess I've been a really good boy this year...

So ? What did YOU asked for xmas ?
beyond
Forum God
Forum God

Re: XMas already ?

Post by beyond »

Congratulations. I've had mine for a couple of years now, and it's capable of producing very SIDish sounds :)
Tonka
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Tonka »

beyond wrote:it's capable of producing very SIDish sounds :)
LOL! The acid test for any synth I ever bought!

"Yeah - just dropped £2000 on a VA synth. Now I'm gonna try and make it sound like a 25 year old computer that I could buy off Ebay for a tenner"! :lol:

[edit] Oh yeah, my pressie is going to be the new GP2X model:

jgb
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by jgb »

I must have been good this year, santa will drop me a Machinedrum UW MKII and a Monomachine MKII. :D
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

JGB: I knew it!!!... that's why it has been so quiet at Elektron for quite a while! :D ... Do you know of any info-sources on these machines?

And that G2X... wow!... always had my eyes on a G2 engine (don't have space for the keys version)... a really neat machine, though some people say they prefer the more rough sound of the first versions of the modulars... Actually I've got ONE more spot in my setup for a synth, and I've been thinking about placing either a Nord Micro Modular, or a G2 in that spot :)

Recently I found, that I needed some REAL FM sound... and by real I mean fat, warm and fuzzy FM bass sounds... so my christmas pressy will be picked up at the local post office this friday, and it looks like this:

And don't start posting links to FM7 or FM8 softsynths, they haven't got it at all :P ... not even the Yamaha FS1R can do it right! :wink:

And for those who do not know what the TX802 is; it's basically a Yamaha DX7II without the unison feature (which is the biggest letdown in my eyes)... but instead it's 8 part multitimbral, and has seperate outs for every single 8 parts (which I'll never use :roll: ) ... besides this, the difference to the original DX7 is that the D/A converters are 16bit, instead of the DX7's 12bits, so the sound is cleaner... got it used for a mere 198 dollars
Regards, Jess D. Skov-Nielsen (Razmo).
Tonka
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Tonka »

Razmo wrote: And for those who do not know what the TX802 is; it's basically a Yamaha DX7II without the unison feature (which is the biggest letdown in my eyes)... but instead it's 8 part multitimbral, and has seperate outs for every single 8 parts (which I'll never use :roll: ) ... besides this, the difference to the original DX7 is that the D/A converters are 16bit, instead of the DX7's 12bits, so the sound is cleaner... got it used for a mere 198 dollars
I don't think I've ever seen this one! :shock: Multitimbrality is far more useful than unison IMO, although I thought you would have preferred 12 bit DAC's due to a fatter sound?! ;)
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

Tonka: I can see you have looked right through me when it comes to synthsounds :lol:

Yes I perfer fat sounding synths... but I found a comparison site on the net, where they play the exact same instrument on DX7 and on DX7II ... DX7II is the same chips as the TX802... and the difference was so small that I decided to go for the TX802. The only real difference was a very little more fuzzyness in the DX7... on the other hand the DX7II had a slightly mere clear tone to it... likely because of the 16bit DAC... one thing I do not like about those 12bit DACs is that when doing basses you can hear the antialiasing very clearly... this is not present with the 16bit DACs.

But another reason for the TX802 is that it's a rackmount version... I do not have much space here, and thus prefer the small solutions to big keyboards (my KORG DSS-1 takes up enough space!)

About multitimbrality... I will not be using this really... I got 15 synthesizers now, and I use them all in single mode exept for my sampler. This allows me to make good use of the FX build into many of the synths... besides I don't have enough analog inputs in my analog mixer to utilize al those extra outs (I'd need at least 64 channels more if that was to be so!)
Regards, Jess D. Skov-Nielsen (Razmo).