NEW USB SID SYNTH for sale!!!

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Re: NEW USB SID SYNTH for sale!!!

Post by Chris Abbott »

Oooh, did Basic just get less Basic? :)
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
Tonka
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Tonka »

*Edited*
Last edited by Tonka on 24/09/2008 - 14:24, edited 1 time in total.
Makke
gooooooood!
gooooooood!

Post by Makke »

Tonka wrote:Anyone else got theirs yet?
No word yet. :(
-.. .--- / .--. . .-. .--. .-.. . -..- / ..-. .- -. / -.-. .-.. ..- -... / .--. .-. . ... .. -.. . -. -
Makke
gooooooood!
gooooooood!

Post by Makke »

Got it yesterday, picked up the package today. Ripped open a C128 and gently removed the SID (6581R4), installed it on socket 1, hooked the HardSID up, installed drivers, copied hardsid.dll to SidPlay2 folder, and fired up a SID.

Problem: Everything appears to be playing at half speed.

Solution: Did as recommended and used ACID 64 instead.

My first thought was that the filter on this SID sounded a bit muffled, especially noticeable when listening to KBs Second Reality (clicky), after the 0:45 mark where one of the voices is almost completely filtered out. Also the filter on the lead in the beginning of Cybernoid (clicky) sounds distorted compared to other recording I've heard.

I've got another SID to try out in it, but that'll probably have to wait until next weekend, because my schedule is a bit cramped right now. I need to experiment a bit with the VSTi for HardSID as well at some point. :)
-.. .--- / .--. . .-. .--. .-.. . -..- / ..-. .- -. / -.-. .-.. ..- -... / .--. .-. . ... .. -.. . -. -
Tonka
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Tonka »

*Edited*
Last edited by Tonka on 24/09/2008 - 14:25, edited 1 time in total.
need4sid

Post by need4sid »

Makke wrote:My first thought was that the filter on this SID sounded a bit muffled, especially noticeable when listening to KBs Second Reality (clicky), after the 0:45 mark where one of the voices is almost completely filtered out. Also the filter on the lead in the beginning of Cybernoid (clicky) sounds distorted compared to other recording I've heard.
Second Reality:
- KB's 2nd Reality is written for the 8580, don't expect it to play well on a 6581
- Cybernoid: It seems that your 6581 has too strong filters (considered as Class II. by Hard Software)
Makke
gooooooood!
gooooooood!

Post by Makke »

need4sid wrote:- KB's 2nd Reality is written for the 8580, don't expect it to play well on a 6581
- Cybernoid: It seems that your 6581 has too strong filters (considered as Class II. by Hard Software)
Yes, I did figure out that last one myself. Didn't know the first piece of info, so cheers for that. :)
need4sid

Post by need4sid »

Makke wrote:
need4sid wrote:- KB's 2nd Reality is written for the 8580, don't expect it to play well on a 6581
Yes, I did figure out that last one myself. Didn't know the first piece of info, so cheers for that. :)
You can check the proper SID model for a tune in the properties menu of ACID64.
You can also set up ACID64 to play 6581 tunes on a 6581 chip and 8580 tunes on a 8580 chip. (and you can also select a default chip in your HS4U for tunes with unknown SID type)
Check out the preferences menu of ACID64 for that. (when you install more SIDs into your HS4U).
Makke
gooooooood!
gooooooood!

Post by Makke »

Installed the second chip, also a 6581R4. It's got a hint of the same filter issue, but over all I get a feeling this chip sounds slightly better than the first one.

Haven't had time for any in depth testing yet.
Tonka wrote:Let me know how it goes with the VST side of things. I've been having problems with syncing of SID 1 & 2 with mine, so I'll be interested to hear how it goes with you...
I tried it out with both the SIDs, and my first feelings are:

* Renoise does not appear to be the ultimate VST host for HS4U - premature statement perhaps.
* Timing issues. Yes, definitely. The sync does seem to be far from perfect.
need4sid

Post by need4sid »

Makke wrote:* Timing issues. Yes, definitely. The sync does seem to be far from perfect.
Please contact me at support@hardsid.com and let's find out the solution to your issues.
Makke
gooooooood!
gooooooood!

Post by Makke »

I did a quick run in the DreamStation 2 demo, and it does seem that Renoise is part of the problem. I don't get the same note trigger issues, and sync issues I had there.

Some other VST-plugs have been acting unstable in Renoise.
need4sid wrote:Please contact me at support@hardsid.com and let's find out the solution to your issues.
I'll try to do some more research and get back to you.

@Tonka:
What did you use when you had the sync issues?
need4sid

Post by need4sid »

Makke wrote:What did you use when you had the sync issues?
He told me he used FL7. I've sent him a test project (flp) which I've done in FL8.
It has no sync problems under FL8 on my computer.
Tonka
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Tonka »

*Edited*
Makke
gooooooood!
gooooooood!

Post by Makke »

Tonka wrote:Makke - I can send you the DS file if you want to test it on your system to see if it sounds the same?
Please do! As long as it loads in the demo, because that's all I have at the mo.

Quite tempted to register DS2, as it looks and feels pretty damn fine. ;)
Tonka
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Tonka »

*Edited*