is this a cover of a cover ?!

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
Ic3m4n
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

is this a cover of a cover ?!

Post by Ic3m4n »

hi everyone !

i submitted a song to remix64 - sadly my remix was rejected, because it´s a remix of a cover version :-/ don´t understand that, but i respect that.

to get it right this time, i´ll ask you (all the talented & wise musicians) if my next project is also a cover-of-a-cover.... i wanna recreate the first subtune of "Logan.sid" - it´s definitly a game-song ! but the original composer is Klaus Doldinger. he wrote it for a popular german television serie called "Ein Fall fuer zwei". But since it was used in a game, it should be ok to remix it, or not ?

Any suggestions ?
Dafunk
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Re: is this a cover of a cover ?!

Post by Dafunk »

from the RKO submission faq:

" DON'T ...

... mix a SID with a song you didn't create, no matter how well you think tunes fit each other (New Orders "Confusion" + Last Ninja = Bad Idea(tm)).

... SID2MIDI a tune and merely replace the instruments.

... remake SIDs that cover well-known tunes (Jarre, Vangelis, etc.) More often than not you'll subconsciously end up covering the original tune, rather than the SID. Use your creative energy on something else instead.

You can verify that the tune you are submitting isn't itself a cover by checking the SID Tune Information List at http://stil.c64.org/. Also, if you have HVSC installed, simply configure your SID player to automatically display STIL entries for each tune. Please consult the documentation with your SID player for more information. "

http://sidfind.c64.org <- this can also help you determine if a sid is a cover or original piece.

as for the Logan.sid, the STIL says:

STIL entry:
Tune Number: 1)
Title: Ein Fall für Zwei
Cover: From the TV series
Artist: Klaus Doldinger

so, i don't think you can submit that one. well, you CAN but it will probably be rejected.

Dejan S.
Ic3m4n
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by Ic3m4n »

Big Thanx !

i already used SIDplay and also the Sid-Find search bar plugin, but didn´t noticed that there is a function for this purpose. will try this STIL thingy...offcourse i´ve read the FAQs, but didn´t understand everything because of my poor english ;)

thanks again & wish you all the best

Dennis
Condor
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Condor »

Hm... And Delta is remix of opening theme from Koyaanisqatsi ;)

Who knows, put it here so we can listen it at least ;)
I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Delta is not a cover or a remix of that tune: that's just "the accepted wisdom" (which is too often wrong). Rob's piece was "inspired by", and apart from chord similarity is a separate piece of music in its own right. Take that from someone who's bothered to analyse both pieces of music in detail.

Chris
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
Ic3m4n
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by Ic3m4n »

Condor wrote:...put it here so we can listen it at least ;)
Surely will do...when it´s done. i asked this time before i create it ;) i was really sad as my "Lost Hope - feat. Vanilla Ice" (Lost Patrol Loader) was rejected at RKO...now this remix is stuck in the submission queue of AmigaRemix at place #40 or so ^^ but if you want you can listen to it at http://meinfritz.de/Ic3m4n and gimme some crits or comments (here or there ;)
Scyphe
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Scyphe »

Chris Abbott wrote:Delta is not a cover or a remix of that tune: that's just "the accepted wisdom" (which is too often wrong). Rob's piece was "inspired by", and apart from chord similarity is a separate piece of music in its own right. Take that from someone who's bothered to analyse both pieces of music in detail.

Chris
Delta isn't a straight cover or "remix", but many melodies and movements have been "borrowed". There's more than just "chord similarity" going on but it doesn't really matter. Phillip Glass was an amazing composer for his time, and Rob Hubbard was an amazing musician on the C64 for his time. One was inspired by the other and used some passage/melody to build his own piece.
"...Yes, I DID make modules and demos on the Amiga, but I was never in one of the big groups..."