Listen to your own tunes?

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
Wavedancer
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Listen to your own tunes?

Post by Wavedancer »

Sometimes I try to hear the gigz of music in a player I have on my harddisk but after a few minutes I think "It's not the right style", then I start to hear only about hours my own tracks. I thought I'm not normal because I hear music loud especially my songs, so my neighbours could hear it, too. But it seems to be normal to hear the own songs more than songs of other peoples.
Doddsy
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Doddsy »

When I first start a tune I get very excited with the sound and concept but as it's completed, I don't tend to listen to it any more because I've heard it so many times. Sometimes though, I'll listen to an old piece to hear if I have improved on my sound.

From listening to DVD commentary actors & film makers are in the same boat as they rarely watch their own work when it's shown on TV stating that they have seen it too many times and or they can spot the mistakes.
Zzr
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Zzr »

i started remixing for my personal listening experience, and i still can listen to most of my music all day long :-7
especially when i am about to finish a new track / being hard at work on one. makes me find all the little stuff i am not happy with yet to fix it later.

regards
Wavedancer
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Wavedancer »

I think, the music you make is the right you love. When you're doing shit, you can't hear it all the time.
SkyMarshall Arts
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by SkyMarshall Arts »

I might be disgusting, but I've got to admit I really love my own work.
I listen to them all the time, in the car and whatnot.
And when cars drive by and I hear my stuff for an example, I got to smile everytime.
The reason for that being I create music that I, that would be me, like to listen to.
I hope that is a natural thing, and not just ... well ... disgusting :)

... but then I discovered this place - and people with similar taste.
So now the cds in my car contain a lot of you guys as well.

I guess what you all are thinking when you listen to your own stuff is:

"Wow ... and I did that? All by me lonesome?" *click repeat*
God created man
Man created machine
Machine created music

My Website | Discord | Spotify | YouTube | Remix64
Mordi
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by Mordi »

I usually go "fuck, why didn't I remove these shitty vocals". :p
Check out my website.
SkyMarshall Arts
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by SkyMarshall Arts »

Haha indeed - that also happens :p
God created man
Man created machine
Machine created music

My Website | Discord | Spotify | YouTube | Remix64
RobinsonMason
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by RobinsonMason »

If I could actually remix and my name was Chronberg, I'd listen to my stuff all day long. :P

But I was a lead vocal in a band and had several pro studio recordings done in Japan. I almost never dig the stuff up though as the lyrics are a bit embarassing --- I had to do a translation from Japanese to English and the results were somewhat corny.

That and it's all still on MiniDisc...
Saga Musix
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by Saga Musix »

As I make my music mainly for myself and not for the world out there, I listen to it often. Not more often than to other music, I just have it in my playlist so it will be played from time to time. :) I cannot say I'm still satisfied with my old tracks, but I love my new stuff. =) And that also indicates for me that it's worth releasing.
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

I hardly listen to any other music than my own... maybe because I see anything but my own music as "competition"... if I DO listen to others music, it's because it really does something for me, so maybe I'm just being picky.

When I listen to music it's usualy Jarre, Vangelis, Tangerine Dream or other synthesizer composers... and of course Slay Radio 8)

I've got the same problem as many others have stated in this thread, that I listen to the work I do way too much before it's done, so I usually do not listen that much to a finished piece right after completion... I return though when I've forgotten it, and can then hear exactly what could be improved in the future.

But generally I make music because I enjoy the creative process, and NOT the final outcome, so it's logical that I do not listen that much or have much interest in works of the past... afterall, we are musicians... we compose music because we like creating stuff, and we listen while we create, so in that aspect we are not much different than any regular listener, in that we tend to dislike a tune after some time, unless it's REALLY special, and timeless.
Regards, Jess D. Skov-Nielsen (Razmo).