Getting my feet wet with a Yamaha YPT220, MIDI Sheet music?

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
RobinsonMason
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Getting my feet wet with a Yamaha YPT220, MIDI Sheet music?

Post by RobinsonMason »

So I bought a Yamaha YPT220 - more for the family than just for me --- and I was extremely excited to see this:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4304&start=15

Now, as far as I can tell I'll be able to upload the MIDI I just created using that awesome program SID2MIDI of track 1 of Adventure Construction Set to my keyboard..... :cheers:

----

BTW--- a LOOOOONG time ago I had a program that shipped with one of my Sound Blasters that allowed sheet music creation automatically from a MIDI file. I got my piano teacher to play the Ultima III "Wander" tune without telling the source. Great stuff.

Is there a program like that out there now?
Doddsy
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Re: Getting my feet wet with a Yamaha YPT220, MIDI Sheet music?

Post by Doddsy »

For under a tenner you could try Magix Music Studio MM that has sheet music you can print out from Midi files.

I use Cubase AV that came free with a controller keyboard I bought don't think it works on Windows Vista though.

Of course just importing a sid to midi track won't always give you best results soundwise as you will need to edit the midi file abit mostly CC events and voice change data.
RobinsonMason
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Re: Getting my feet wet with a Yamaha YPT220, MIDI Sheet music?

Post by RobinsonMason »

Thanks for the tip, Doddsy, I'll check that out.

The few tunes I've converted to MIDI have come out pretty well because they are rather simple old tunes (Mail order Monsters, Adventure Construction Set, Below the Root) and don't have any oscillating SID specific sounds. I did try a "modern" SID and it was rather horrible, though.

I'll pack a bunch of the ones that came out well and post them on my blog with a fileshare link sometime soon. Perhaps they will inspire some remixes- hehe.

I was disappointed that Telengard would not convert. I assume this is because it says "Telengard_BASIC" in the filename. SID2MIDI said "this is not a SID file". :cry:

Telengard is simple enough that once I get the keyboard I'll redo it myself. It's less than 30 notes, I think.