Cybernoid WIP

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
bluefugue
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Cybernoid WIP

Post by bluefugue »

Here's a Cybernoid remix I did in Pro Tools for a sound class a little over a year ago. I'd use Logic now as Pro Tools' midi functionality and default instrument selection isn't so hot, but everything had to be Pro Tools for that class.

I don't like it much, but wondering if it might be salvageable. Annoyed at how thin the first entrance of the theme sounds. (It actually seems to have *less* energy than the old timey piano intro.) Poor choice of lead synth, I suppose, but I also need something to give it a thicker, more badass sound, something in the lower frequencies. Despite the rain cliche I like the trancy stuff at the end and had the most fun with that (the little snippets of dialogue, etc.). I also feel the running 16th note bass and the arpeggiation section help to give the tune a kick in the pants. But overall, pretty weak.

Anyway, wondering if anyone here would like to tear it apart and maybe offer some useful insights. Thanks!

http://www.mediafire.com/?nzmunydndtl
analoq
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Re: Cybernoid WIP

Post by analoq »

What school did you take your sound class at? I studied recording/production at Fullerton College, if you're familiar with it.

I can make a quick comment on your mix: it's a bit much on the LFO auto-panning. Take the 16th-note bass pattern for instance; what if instead of auto-panning you split it up into two tracks and had the even notes panned to one channel and the odd notes panned to the other? Giorgio Moroder used such a technique to produce the hypnotic bassline for disco classic "I Feel Love".

cheers.
bluefugue
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Re: Cybernoid WIP

Post by bluefugue »

Hi, thanks for the tip. I took two sound classes at Santa Monica college. The teacher, Fletcher Beasley, is really amazing... great bargain for the price. We focused mainly on production audio and sound effects for movies, but there was also some music stuff and he allowed music projects for the midterms.