Seeking Feedback For Rejected Remixes

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
Rob (DoOmAnth)

Seeking Feedback For Rejected Remixes

Post by Rob (DoOmAnth) »

Dear Jury of the RKO, and I guess to all lovers of c64 magic alike!

This is my first post to the group which I would like to direct specifically to the jurors who to my heavy heart, rejected two of my remixes recently.
I'm in desperate need of detailed feedback as to why this has happened and ask that an understanding be made of my musical vision.

My vague feeling of being upset about the rejection I think is primarily due to the message being sent to me by an automated script (a bot) rather than a human being, which I thought was a little cold and almost indifferent to emotions that the C64 inspires! But I understand that if every remix was personally responded to - it would take some time and respect the decisions as made.

When I recently uploaded "Transcending the Illicit Wood", a tribute to Paul Norman's great Beyond the Forbidden Forest to RKO for suspenseful judgment, I suspected with trepidation that its monotony, its heavy bass drone, its disorienting connectedness and general menace would not appeal. I would like to think however, that this does not prevent it from being a valid remix for the c64 public to sample and hope that given ample time to edit where I believe is necessary, that it may in time be accepted....
I have several questions which I would like to raise open philosophical debate about:
1) Can a SID be overused if it is the basis of the remix? (a question in response to a guideline at kwed)
1.a) If one wishes to emphasise a particular emotion within a tune, is then the heavy usage of the original SID completely justified? (I would like to think that yes, in most cases - provided one has mixed their own material within)
2) What are the guidelines for sound quality pre-requisites? Must a remix be mastered - are 'b' grade or generally low productions unnaceptable?
3) Must time signatures be adhered to? (I.E is the break down of synchronisation alien to what C64 arrangers by and large wish to create?

And finally:
4) What other avenues should I take if it becomes obvious that my material is simply incompatible with what is taking place at the RKO?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated to those that have heard the tune. (Particularly from you CHRIS my good sir!) I look forward to trying to analyse the situation further and fervently hope I can work things out.

Cheers,
Rob Bailey
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Rejection

Post by Chris Abbott »

Hi Rob,

Even though I'm a member of said RKO jury, I'm afraid this time I didn't even get to hear the remixes, since I've been too busy to visit the RKO queue this time. Have you got a URL you can put them on temporarily? I missed voting on Dor-X's too. I gotta visit more often before Jan efficiently sorts it all out :)

Chris
Jan Lund Thomsen
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Re: Seeking Feedback For Rejected Remixes

Post by Jan Lund Thomsen »

Rob (DoOmAnth) wrote:
My vague feeling of being upset about the rejection I think is primarily due to the message being sent to me by an automated script (a bot) rather than a human being, which I thought was a little cold and almost indifferent to emotions that the C64 inspires! But I understand that if every remix was personally responded to - it would take some time and respect the decisions as made.
Rob, I can see that the mention of a automated script in rejection receipts might be a bit misleading (although I haven't had any complaints about it before). You're right in thinking that the reason for automated mails boils down to being a question of time. There's simply not enough hours in a day to allow me to get personally back to everyone. Besides, I have other interests besides the C64, and I want to balance everything out.

This is why the rejection-mail has all sorts of links and pointers to other places with loads of people who will be happy to listen to your work.

Anyway - I've given the matter some thought, and I'll be changing the wording. Thanks for pointing it out.
Rob (DoOmAnth)

Temporary URL for Rejected Remixes

Post by Rob (DoOmAnth) »

Chris Abbott wrote:
Have you got a URL you can put them on temporarily?

Chris
Great idea Chris, but I didn't think it was feasible until a friend (a close ear to my crap musical dabblings) offered to harbour a website for me. (Thanks Doc!)
I'd like to take this chance to bid all interested c64 fans and readers out there, particularly those who don't mind heavier remixes, to check the following link out.

http://203.208.69.213/~doomanth/welcome ... d_of_c.htm

Its only in its infancy at this stage, and since I know nothing at all about web design - I have to start somewhere! :)
I'd love all the feedback I can get (providing it isn't patronising and nasty of course.);)

I also have a couple more little remixes I'm working on hoping to finish for the new year - does anyone remember the game Endless by John Vanderaart?
The Sid to that game is a simple descending church organy thing, but by the gods its eerie!

Cheery xmas all,
Rob Bailey
(DoOmAnth)
DHS
Forum God
Forum God

Post by DHS »

Here's my big IMHO:

The tune was probably mainly rejected because it belong to the
genre "Sid+Drums".

A part this, i don't know if that is a wanted effect or not, the music is in many place out of tempo sync with the drums, making it very "hard" to be listened to.

cheers.
--
DHS of The SoundWavers
http://soundwavers.com/
tomsk
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Re:Forbidden Forest

Post by tomsk »

Hi Rob

Being a rookie mixer myself and also having very similar tools (i.e. FL3 and SF6) I thought i'd give your rejected mix a spin and here's what I thought.

Firstly - why use the sid ? Explore Fruity Loops and you'll find some beautiful instruments to re-create a much better sounding mix. Don't get me wrong, the Sid sound can be charming, but try a couple of non C64 tunes first - perhaps just small ditty's you can make up as you go. This will better prepare you when you come to Remix another C64 tune.

Also the advantage of doing everything in FL3 is that you get full control of the sequencing - hence your sync should be much better.

Listen to the bassline. It's a bit distorted and sounds very harsh. Soften it up a bit. Try changing the drum beat from time to time. Put a few 'fills' in and maybe some enhancing effects.

Most importantly, don't be disheartened by your initial rejections. This is a friendly community and the people here you'll find are happy to help out a novice (believe me). Sometimes I'll listen to one of my tunes so many times I get 'used' to all the things that are wrong with it - almost to the point where I don't begin to hear the flaws. Let a friend listen to it, or better still put up a 'work in progress' mp3 to your site and ask for a few comments. It's better to find out early what's right or wrong with the tune before you complete it.

Hope this helps - and keep working at it.

Tomsk
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Editorial

Post by Chris Abbott »

I'd have hoped my editorial this month would have also helped from a stylistic point of view!

BTW Rob, your CDs go off on Monday...

Chris