Permission from you

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
AndyUK
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Re: Permission from you

Post by AndyUK »

You can use any of my music too, for what it's worth.. No issues from me...
SarahKreuz31
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by SarahKreuz31 »

AndyUK wrote:You can use any of my music too, for what it's worth.. No issues from me...
There'll be no more Videouploads, AndyUK. It's done. But thanks anyway. :D
daXX
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by daXX »

Fyi! You don't need the permission from remixers. Only from the original composer...

Cheers,
:cheers:
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

@daXX: not really true: the remixer has the phonographic/recording copyright on the remix...
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
AndyUK
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by AndyUK »

Do you own the rights to that particular arrangement though? If, for example, does Rob own the copyright to International Karate as it uses parts from another song? ( making him effectively a remixer ) or just that arrangement? How does that scenario work?
daXX
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by daXX »

Chris Abbott: When the Remixer have an official status as editor from the original author, then you're right.
In this case here on amiga remix / remix 64 we do not have written authorizations.

In germany, everyone can use my bootleg or remix of a non official tune if he have the rights from the origianl author.
you do not have the rights to "remix" anything you like and publish it on the internets.

means: this site is, when you see it exactly, illegal, if original composers wouldn't like their songs here or are members of the gema! ;)

Supplement:
The german Gema Copyrights says: Your Songs are completly copyrighted from PAST, PRESENT AND IN FUTURE, what means, that even Songs you did not wrote yet are copyrighted by Gema when you are a member there! I had this discussion with the Gema ago some month, because i wanted to participate on a demoscene event. But i CAN'T! ... I can not play my music there because it's copyrighted by the Gema even if i didn't release it!

If i informed right, Chris Hülsbeck is also a member of the Gema and if they will find remixes of his tunes here, you'll get in trouble very hard, for sure.
You have just ONE oppinion to work around this...: you need to remove the option "internets" inside the gema contract. But this get's another problem:
You'll not get any cent anymore from internet radios or Mp3-Files.
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Many of the more well-known original composers are members of MCPS, GEMA or STIM, actually.

daXX:

You're confusing Mechanical Copyright (the content of the song, which you're talking about here), with the phonographic copyright (the actual recording of the song, which is outside GEMA's jurisdiction). That means that in a remix there are two different main copyrights: the composer of the song holds the mechanical copyright, and the remixer holds the phonographic copyright. That means to use a remix, you need <i>permission of both</i> (not, as you said, just the permission of the composer).

It also means that, as you say, if the remix is not authorised, then it's technically illegal. However, just because the remix isn't cleared for mechanical copyright doesn't mean that the remixer has to give up the copyright for the sound recording.

And yes, the way GEMA works is pretty annoying.
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

AndyUK wrote:Do you own the rights to that particular arrangement though? If, for example, does Rob own the copyright to International Karate as it uses parts from another song? ( making him effectively a remixer ) or just that arrangement? How does that scenario work?
Rob used different notes to convey the same effect. That makes it a "pastiche", and an original work.

If he had used the same notes, then he would have created a derivative work and he would have to negotiate for a percentage of ownership of the new work with the Mr Lawrence soundtrack publishers. Derivative works are a bit of a mess, really.

On Back in Time 3, Trap is split into three tracks to properly get round Ben Daglish's use of "War of the Worlds".

Chris
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Incidentally, daXX: if you wanted to do the demoscene thing, then you do what musicians down the ages have done to screw the man: use a pseudonym. GEMA bureaucracy applies to your real name and registered aliases. However, "Random tune" by "undaXX" wouldn't be on their radar because neither would be registered. Sorted.
daXX
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by daXX »

thats not possible in germany. because the gema wants the real names of each act on a demoscene event here.
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

That's very NSA-like! MCPS doesn't care one little bit... oh well.