Sounding a 'little thin'?

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
AndyUK
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Sounding a 'little thin'?

Post by AndyUK »

Just read the comments on my kwed upload ( lightforce ), and the majority mention it sounds 'a little thin'. Could any of you guys suggest what this means, and above all how to address the issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks guys

Andy
Mordi
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Re: Sounding a 'little thin'?

Post by Mordi »

I think what is meant is that the mix doesn't fill up the full frequency-range as it probably should. Something is lacking in the mid- to low frequencies.
You could try adding a paragraphic equalizer in the master channel, and see how the decibels are distributed.
Check out my website.
AndyUK
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by AndyUK »

Ahh.. Thankyou. :worship:
Infamous
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Infamous »

Yup pretty much what mordi said, you could try adding a line that plays an octave lower and effect its stereo feild so that it plays wider to the left/right and then change its volume to sit just below the main line (making the mainline sit in the centre of the stereo field) that can help.

Working out your frequencies before you start is always a good way to start too, ie what do you want to fill the low areas? drums, bass usually .. the mid? .. usually your strings and mainline and your high .. percussive elements and then once you have that down pat you can start to experiment. Test the tune when you play it back through your headphones, through your normal speakers.. put it on a usb stick play it in other places and you'll soon get to feel yourself whats missing and then you can go back and "phatten" things up a bit.

I didnt think your lightforce tune was that bad at all btw.
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

@infamous: excellent tips, something I need to learn how to do. when I do actually record music every few years in between. :duh:
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
Infamous
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Infamous »

no problem :-) Its all about trial and error in the end.. if it doesnt sound right to your ear its likely it ain't right but its always good to get a second opinion from other ears lol.