Just an idea.

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Re: Just an idea.

Post by Razmo »

Now that I listen, I can hear that you did not use a reverb on the sine instrument :) ... in fact I think that the tune could sound good with a bit more ambience... a bit of reverb on the sine instrument, and the snaredrum may do something... at least that is what I think :) ...
Regards, Jess D. Skov-Nielsen (Razmo).
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

Razmo wrote:Now that I listen, I can hear that you did not use a reverb on the sine instrument :) ... in fact I think that the tune could sound good with a bit more ambience... a bit of reverb on the sine instrument, and the snaredrum may do something... at least that is what I think :) ...
In the past, I've over done the reverb thing and turn everything into what I call mud. But I will give it a bit of reverb and see what happens.
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
Commie_User
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Commie_User »

I like it as it is. Nice and gentle and lazy, just floating along like a metallic lily on the water!
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

Analog-X64 wrote:
Razmo wrote:Now that I listen, I can hear that you did not use a reverb on the sine instrument :) ... in fact I think that the tune could sound good with a bit more ambience... a bit of reverb on the sine instrument, and the snaredrum may do something... at least that is what I think :) ...
In the past, I've over done the reverb thing and turn everything into what I call mud. But I will give it a bit of reverb and see what happens.
Most people who end up with reverb mud most likely use too much reverb, or they put instruments through it with too much low end, which mud up everything very quickly... either thin out the lows of the instrument, og thin out the low end of the reverb itself... it works wonders :)
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

Razmo wrote: Most people who end up with reverb mud most likely use too much reverb, or they put instruments through it with too much low end, which mud up everything very quickly... either thin out the lows of the instrument, og thin out the low end of the reverb itself... it works wonders :)
Thining out the low end of the instrument or the reverb itself is something I'll have to learn how to accomplish, at this point I have no clue how to do that, other than play with the trim in the mixer.
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

Analog-X64 wrote:
Razmo wrote: Most people who end up with reverb mud most likely use too much reverb, or they put instruments through it with too much low end, which mud up everything very quickly... either thin out the lows of the instrument, og thin out the low end of the reverb itself... it works wonders :)
Thining out the low end of the instrument or the reverb itself is something I'll have to learn how to accomplish, at this point I have no clue how to do that, other than play with the trim in the mixer.
Are you using software and plugins?... if you do, then all you need is a hi-pass filter either after the instrument itself as an insert FX, or before the input on the reverb (set it before the reverb plug in the FX chain, also as insert FX).

If you use a mixer's EQ, just lower the bass EQ on the instrument going into the channel... it's not a hi-pass filter, but rather a shelving filter, but it works just as well. If you use an external FX processor with your mixer, you could also rout the FX back into a pair of channels on the mixer, and chop off some low end using the mixers EQ on the return channels.

The point is, that reverb used on sound with bass and lower mid frequencies tend to quickly muddy things up, which is why you never put reverb on a kick drum for example. If you listen carefuly to most trance music, it sounds like they are drowning in reverb, but still they sound defined and not muddy, and if you listen extra carefuly you can easily hear, that the reverb is "thin"... it has simply been thinned out of it's bass frequencies...
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

Thanks Razmo, and yes I'm doing this all in software at the moment, well the M-Audio interface and Midi Controller are the hardware portion.

I will try your suggestions and see what happens.

Now once again, when I sat down to record, I was aiming for something cheerful, chirpy and happy and look at what it endedup as :)
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

Analog-X64 wrote:Thanks Razmo, and yes I'm doing this all in software at the moment, well the M-Audio interface and Midi Controller are the hardware portion.

I will try your suggestions and see what happens.

Now once again, when I sat down to record, I was aiming for something cheerful, chirpy and happy and look at what it endedup as :)
Hehe!... Maybe you should just let go and follow the flow of creativity?... My stuff also end up being "dark", but I actualy LIKE dark music, so I've got no problem with it... I like the way your idear is going... it's when you try to do something that is in your head that it gets complicated... I cannot PLAN my music, it's like it flows from an unseen place, almost like I'm the "channeler" of something else... I think this is how creative people work on music, and the practical and logical ones do it by planning ahead... maybe you're the creative type like me, but try to be the practical type?
AndyUK
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by AndyUK »

I'm liking this more and more .. The percussion fits nicely too.. ( almost arkanoidy :D ) not so sure about the little er.. trills on the notes at 0:56 ish though feels like the tunes losing it's smoothness? ( best way I can describe it )

Keep at it matey.. keep at it..

Andy
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

AndyUK wrote:I'm liking this more and more .. The percussion fits nicely too.. ( almost arkanoidy :D ) not so sure about the little er.. trills on the notes at 0:56 ish though feels like the tunes losing it's smoothness? ( best way I can describe it )

Keep at it matey.. keep at it..

Andy
Thanks Andy,

Your ears are not lying to you, 0:56 is not smooth at all. I have to re-do that portion I might even take it out completely.

its funny you mention Arkanoid, that might be the track I choose to remix :)