WIP Ocean Loader 3 Concept Remix

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
poke16384
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

WIP Ocean Loader 3 Concept Remix

Post by poke16384 »

Ok, I have this idea for a c64 / arcade / Amiga music project... (idea for a CD)

Sort of a continuous sound-scape which flows from one track to the next...

In short, Historical Music Journey with remixes of my favourite stuff, C64 lives - C64 dies - Amiga lives - Amiga dies - both will live forever through the music.

1 or 2 arcade tunes for context

The seeds of it are there and I've uploaded a WIP of OL3 on Youtube, (with a bit of a vid to try and illustrate what is in my head)

See what you think and give me ANY feedback you want to. :)

(If you give something I use, or contribute ideas that shape the finished work, I'll credit you!)

Link here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7XIpWsA ... tube_gdata
It's all about the notes, where you put 'em, what you do with 'em and how long they last
SarahKreuz31
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Re: WIP Ocean Loader 3 Concept Remix

Post by SarahKreuz31 »

Love it. Great idea for a Video - somehow it has something like to watch a Demo. The sound is disturbing and gives this one an ambience. One thing you should fix: Sometimes the words aren`t long enough shown - if english isn`t your native language (like me) you can`t read THAT fast. So i missed the end of some sentences and had to "rewind". (you know what I mean?) But anyhow a great Idea that could become awesome.

(love the flashing pictures)
SarahKreuz31
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by SarahKreuz31 »

SarahKreuz31 wrote:One thing you should fix: Sometimes the words aren`t long enough shown - if english isn`t your native language (like me) you can`t read THAT fast. So i missed the end of some sentences and had to "rewind". (you know what I mean?)
in my point of view as a "slow reader" (those ppl DO exist of course :duh: )
0:44 - missed the last 2 sentences "...like PAULA...", needs an additional 1,2 second to "reach me"
poke16384
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by poke16384 »

SarahKreuz31 wrote:One thing you should fix: Sometimes the words aren`t long enough shown - if english isn`t your native language (like me) you can`t read THAT fast. So i missed the end of some sentences and had to "rewind".
Thanks Sarah - Great feedback. :D

The video is only to give people the idea of what I was thinking and to explain the 1:50 of ambience.

Once I've got it tweaked right, I hope the music will say it without the words.

...and also - once people have got the idea, they can close their eyes and feel the story in the music.
It's all about the notes, where you put 'em, what you do with 'em and how long they last
Commie_User
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Commie_User »

SarahKreuz31 wrote:
SarahKreuz31 wrote:One thing you should fix: Sometimes the words aren`t long enough shown - if english isn`t your native language (like me) you can`t read THAT fast. So i missed the end of some sentences and had to "rewind". (you know what I mean?)
0:44 - missed the last 2 sentences "...like PAULA...", needs an additional 1,2 second to "reach me"
There's a pause button on the Youtube player.

Coming off the back of that, I remember the show Bad Influence running frames of text very fast in rapid succession across the end credits. Most young households had VCRs then, so pausing on replay gave you more to read after the show had ended.

(Though what was that show in the 80s which experimented with cassette software noises across the end credits?)

I left my own comment on the video page.
poke16384
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by poke16384 »

:) Thanks for your comment Commie
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

Excellent remix, I like how it sounds, and the atmosphere created.

I've always like the ocean logo as per the video at 2:31.

I did some logos in the artwork forum and did a recreate of it for Trace.

Thread here: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=3225&start=480#p76407
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
poke16384
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by poke16384 »

Analog-X64 wrote:Excellent remix, I like how it sounds, and the atmosphere created.

I did some logos in the artwork forum and did a recreate of it for Trace.
Thanks for the compliment Analog.. and your logos are cool!
Stefan_L
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by Stefan_L »

You added OL3 as a video response to the Ocean Loader v3 "video" (well, screenshot with the music added) i had uploaded to Youtube :)

It is difficult to tell a story with music only and the video you added makes it almost an must with the music.
the first 60 seconds sounded much like electronic music from the 1960's and feels a bit too old for the 1980's C-64 era :D

Is the OL3 remix symbolising the "C64 dies"?
What are the other music you will remix? Only your own C-64 stuff?

The OL3 remix sounded great.. well.. "remix" and "remix".. i guess it could also be called "official update" as it is your music to begin with :)
Commie_User
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Commie_User »

Stefan_L wrote: It is difficult to tell a story with music only....
Indeed. Peter And The Wolf is allegedly a story in symphony by Prokofiev. You know it when you hear it but without the words it's just a bit of music.

I found a cheap LP in a charity shop of Frankie Howerd narrating Peter And The Wolf. Bit of an odd crossover there but at least I got the story and the music matched up.
poke16384
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by poke16384 »

Stefan_L wrote:It is difficult to tell a story with music only and the video you added makes it almost an must with the music.
the first 60 seconds sounded much like electronic music from the 1960's and feels a bit too old for the 1980's C-64 era :D

Is the OL3 remix symbolising the "C64 dies"?
What are the other music you will remix? Only your own C-64 stuff?
The feeling I'm trying to create with the 1:50 ambiance is 'Electronic Wasteland Atmosphere' Just ambient noise that says 'Something still lingers here!!' Granted, the first 35 seconds or so
with the bell chiming suggests the death of something. From there to 1:50, I'm trying to achieve the feeling of 'Coming back to life'. More sounds, different electronic sounds,
(but musical at the same time). Build up, build up build up and Wham! into Ocean Loader 3(.1) :)

or in other words - The Tunes Live On although the machines may be dead! (A touch of the old 'energy can neither be created nor destroyed, it just moves to another form).

The Remix/Update uses Old and New sounds purposely - even the Lead voice, (I hope), sounds like SID but polished and modernised.

I'll be including my own favourites. So, Bombjack will be in there, probably Shadowfire and arcade-wise Nemesis/Gradius one of my all-time favourites. Probably some of my Amiga fave's too!

I suppose ultimately, the project will try to have just a simple message - 'This stuff hasn't died because history has judged some of it as worth keeping'.
Last edited by poke16384 on 13/08/2011 - 19:30, edited 1 time in total.
Mordi
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by Mordi »

Cool to see the original composer remix his own tunes. As for the tune itself, it sounds cool. Some of the leads sound a bit harsh to me, though. Probably a matter of tastes.
Check out my website.
poke16384
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by poke16384 »

Mordi wrote:Cool to see the original composer remix his own tunes. As for the tune itself, it sounds cool. Some of the leads sound a bit harsh to me, though. Probably a matter of tastes.
Still W I P yet matey! So, just a rough-cut on the remix.

Just wanted some vibes from people about the concept really.
SarahKreuz31
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by SarahKreuz31 »

Commie_User wrote:
SarahKreuz31 wrote:
There's a pause button on the Youtube player.
Don`t wanna use a stupid Pause-Button. Watching a Video means: lean back and enjoy...
Commie_User
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Commie_User »

Sometimes video creators need to fit the graphics to the music. And when making a video your mind can run quicker than normal, so even when 'test driving' a new video all will seem well.

I've done both myself. When watching my latest again late the following night I suddenly found I couldn't read the captions in time. But they're still there long enough for a lot of people to read anyway. (And as my political videos briefly display many newspaper and website shots during the narrative, viewers can find themselves pausing to read anyway.)