Yahama XG compatible module or keyboard..?

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
Kate-Z
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Yahama XG compatible module or keyboard..?

Post by Kate-Z »

Hi guys,

I've taken a shine to Yamaha's old XG midi protocol having used to have their old ISA card solution. I miss it dearly, and would like to replace it. Can anyone suggest a standalone sound-module or keyboard that has full XG functionality that doesent cost ££££��'ve espied the MU-50 on ebay and the like, but it only had the 4mb rom, which is the same essentially as the softsynth that yamaha had on the go for years - that ofcourse doesent work past Win XP :/ but I'd like to be freed from the need to use software in this case.. however oldskool that may be.. but then I'm all about oldskool :D
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Re: Yahama XG compatible module or keyboard..?

Post by Chris Abbott »

Oddly, I think you'd find that most Yamaha home keyboards sold in Toys R Us probably have the XG chipset, capable of a lot more than you'd think. I did most of Back in Time 1 on the DB50XG attachment for the SoundBlaster AWE32 :) You could do actual synth work on the DB50XG... Later on I had the SW60XG and the MU-80, which was most definitely just a standalone module and didn't require any version of Windows (plus it had two banks of MIDI channels and some extra sounds).

Chris
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

Kate-Z wrote:Hi guys,

I've taken a shine to Yamaha's old XG midi protocol having used to have their old ISA card solution. I miss it dearly, and would like to replace it. Can anyone suggest a standalone sound-module or keyboard that has full XG functionality that doesent cost ££££����ed the MU-50 on ebay and the like, but it only had the 4mb rom, which is the same essentially as the softsynth that yamaha had on the go for years - that ofcourse doesent work past Win XP :/ but I'd like to be freed from the need to use software in this case.. however oldskool that may be.. but then I'm all about oldskool :D</quote]
If you want a really good XG compatible Yamaha module, take a look at the MU models.... They're not produced anymore, but they may not be hard to find on ebay. MU-80, MU-90, MU-128... there are more verions out there with added features.

Regards, Jess D. Skov-Nielsen (Razmo).
poke16384
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by poke16384 »

Hi Kate,

I have had a DB50XG, a MU100R and the awesome SW1000XG which I still have.

Razmo is spot on in my opinion... There are still lots of these units about on e-bay and the like.

The MU-128 is 128 notes polyphonic across upto 64 different parts with nearly 1,400 instruments
and sells for around £ 100 - 130 these days.

It can take upto 3 additional plug-in boards and has Yamaha's proprietary 'To Host' connector.

You would need a serial/RS232 connector at the PC end to use the 'To Host' connector but it isn't
vital as you can connect these modules via straight MIDI.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_MU-series
It's all about the notes, where you put 'em, what you do with 'em and how long they last
Kate-Z
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by Kate-Z »

thanks guys, I really took a shine to the SW1000XG PCI card thingie - but there seems to be a lot reports of problems getting it to work in Windows 7, and not at all in 7 x64 - which is what I use :/

I will keep an eye on ebay for any lucky deals :)
Commie_User
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Commie_User »

You can indeed pop up Toys R Us now to find XG keyboards. Even the cheapies are so advanced that they sound as good as expensive boxes from just a decade back.

"Oddly, I think you'd find that most Yamaha home keyboards sold in Toys R Us probably have the XG chipset, capable of a lot more than you'd think. "

Indeed, that's what I said!
Kate-Z
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by Kate-Z »

There are a few MU-50's on ebay for <£50... wonder if I'd be happy with one of those, how do they compare to the SW60XG, DB50, or the SW1000XG - anyone have any opinions? Sorely tempted to try shoehorn a SW1000xg to work somehow :/
Kate-Z
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by Kate-Z »

Decided!

Sw1000xg for £35.. and I'll take the hit of setting up a dual OS for when I'm DAW-ing :D

(not as in Daw... of Triad fame ;) )
Commie_User
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Commie_User »

£50? Nah, you want to pay nothing, that's what you want to do: http://www.kvraudio.com/get/75.html

This is apparently it but don't quote me on that.
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Commie_User wrote:£50? Nah, you want to pay nothing, that's what you want to do: http://www.kvraudio.com/get/75.html

This is apparently it but don't quote me on that../quote]]/quote]
Er, that's not XG. Is this posted in the wrong thread?

[edit: oh, right £� was two posts up. I got thrown by the £3�
[edit 2: That solution still isn't XG though: XG was a superset of GM and a competitor to GS: as such, it had lots of nice controller events, and standardised banks of instruments above the normal GM set)
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
Commie_User
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Commie_User »

I Googled the criteria alright and ended up there. But I suppose, to save face, there's plenty of good sound to use there anyway!
AndyUK
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by AndyUK »

I used to have a db50 strapped to an old ISA Sb16 at one time.. Have to admit to missing that little beast of burden more than once. In the right hands that thing used to sing ( have a search for David Kelly ( goes by Sonic too )), especially a midi file called Buttblower.. It's a public domain file, so Hopefully no problems posting a linky to site full of MU10 example midis in mp3 format?? ( admin ?? )

http://cosmic-dreams.net/bitfellas/xg/m ... t_Blow.ogg

and that site..

http://cosmic-dreams.net/bitfellas/xg/mu10/
Kate-Z
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by Kate-Z »

Thanks! There was an XG midi demo file I used to absolutely adore, it was called "Storms over Jupiter" - absolutely amazing song, and instrumentation - I'll make a recording of it once I've got the SW1000xg.

Cant wait to get this card, and get that functionality back! :) And what a card for audio processing too!

No School like the old skool :)
Stefan_L
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by Stefan_L »

I have an recording of "Storms over Jupiter", recorded using MU90 :)
djr-storms_over_jupiter_mu90.flac

I think it is made for MU50 originally.
daGraveR

Post by daGraveR »

And if anyone's interested in some MU2000 demos (including Storms over Jupiter):
http://graver1.home.xs4all.nl/MU2000/

These were recorded directly off of the MU2000's optical output, no processing applied whatsoever.