Dead end with a remix

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
Ferrara
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Dead end with a remix

Post by Ferrara »

Hi everybody,

I'm having a serious case of a dead-end feeling with the latest remix I'm working on. I may have gone through the wrong route with this
remix and I'm not feeling happy with it's current situation. This is the first version out, was planning on doing it more respective to the original
but this is how it seems to be going at the moment. Any feedback is welcomed, if you think I should revert back and try to settle to the style of
the first minute, I'll promise to try. However, the idea of mixing the Ninja melody with the Inception OST theme basis is just very intriguing :)

Please note, even the pattern order with the later part isn't yet in it's final version, there are separate ideas combined for this mp3 with an abrupt end.
And yes, there are many quiet high-end frequencies present that seem to make at least my ears ache after listening for 4 hours straight. :oops:

Clicky here: http://ferrara.ziphoid.com/Ninv1.mp3

Cheers,
-ferrara
Commie_User
Forum God
Forum God

Re: Dead end with a remix

Post by Commie_User »

Sounds fine to me. It's just not finished. I think you've just lost a bit of confidence. Keep going with it.

Sounds like you could be a bit symphonic with this, going in different directions but coming back to the themes.

And you've just got fatigue after listening so long.
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

One thing that I notice is, that the drums seem like they are set appart from the rest of the instrumentation... it's like they live in two different ambiences... maybe you'd "glue" it all better together if you tried to put a bit of the ambience on some of the drums also? ... the snaredrum comes to mind as a candidate for this.

But I don't hear any irritating high frequencies here... if any, that would be the snare's tail. Another thing is, that I got surprised about the chords... they don't follow the original, but they're also not wrong with respect to sounding "false" or anything.

It's a good idear that you could certainly continue with... :)
Regards, Jess D. Skov-Nielsen (Razmo).
Commie_User
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Commie_User »

I disagree. The dry drums contrast well to my ears. Surely you can't have everything swimming in it.
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

As a pure listener since I don't have the technical skills to give any sound advice.

The entire piece sounds disjointed, kind of like separate things are happening at the same time, but I also acknowledge that this is a w.i.p and not a polished product.
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

Analog-X64 wrote:As a pure listener since I don't have the technical skills to give any sound advice.

The entire piece sounds disjointed, kind of like separate things are happening at the same time, but I also acknowledge that this is a w.i.p and not a polished product.
That's what I felt about it as well... Some parts sound like in a huge ambience, while other sound dry. Normaly you do not drown percussion in reverb and ambience, unless you want everything to sound like it's placed in the ambience, but a small amount on some drums can do magic... if it would work for this tune I do not know.
Regards, Jess D. Skov-Nielsen (Razmo).
Ferrara
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by Ferrara »

Thank you for your thoughts! If anything more comes to mind, please, keep posting. I will give this tune a rest for awhile however
I'm seriously wishing to have this done and out before the year is over. So far I've spent a couple of 3-4hour nights in this and
your posts have given me some ideas to work on. (I would put a thumbs-up -smiley here if there would've been one available) :)

-fer
Ferrara
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by Ferrara »

I've released this and it's in the queue at position #14.

Have a Merry Christmas and a happy New Year 2012, everyone! :D
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

Ferrara wrote:I've released this and it's in the queue at position #14.

Have a Merry Christmas and a happy New Year 2012, everyone! :D
You too Ferrara!! Looking forward to downloaded the finished product :)
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120