Amiga Remix question.

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
Doddsy
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Amiga Remix question.

Post by Doddsy »

Having done a fair few c64 remixes. I'm thinking of producing a few Amiga tunes for 2012. With sid music you can use sid to midi to quickly and accurately get a transcript of the music. Is there a similiar program for looking at Amiga tunes. I know most tunes are mods and my emulator can rip samples and also save the mod but obviously the emu can't play the mod as it needs to be formatted in ADF to run. Is there any way around this.

Also do people prefer straight ports of tunes with better quality sounds or just something inspired by the tune.

I think from a remix point of view Amiga tunes are easier as the samples give you a better indication of what instruments are to be used for the over all feel and sound.
trace
Forum God
Forum God

Re: Amiga Remix question.

Post by trace »

This program 2midi can do the job as sid2midi.
But I prefere Modplug tracker which is a nice program where you can save the mod as midi.

When i convert a mod file to midi I try to do it as accurate as possible with the samples from the mod and then work my way from there.
Either by trying to tweak new sounds as close as possible as the mods for a more "clean" version.
Or just remix it with your style :D

OR You can use Renoise and load up the mod and change the samples to any vsti or something you like, much simpler I guess :D
(Carpe Diem Seize the day)
Soundcloud PowerTrace
c64-> /various/M-r/Noise_of_SID
pepak
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by pepak »

Doddsy wrote:Also do people prefer straight ports of tunes with better quality sounds or just something inspired by the tune.
Depends, but I tend to prefer straight ports.
Mordi
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by Mordi »

If the tune has some difficult chords/fast notes you can just open the tune in MilkyTracker (or any other tracker) and isolate the individual instrument and then slow it down if necessary.
Check out my website.
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

I converted a SoundTracker tune to Nitro Tracker (NDS) not by note, and than changed things around.
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
Doddsy
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Doddsy »

Cheers guys I will take all the suggestions on board. I'm off now to start production on Stryx Intro.
dsjam

Post by dsjam »

Hello

im interested to convert amiga demos music mods to a midi format - the reason is to use PC program synthesia ( http://synthesiagame.com/ ) to enjoy playing melody of my favourite tunes from amiga demo scene . . .

problem 1: I can export the pattern data with OpenMPT but ST samples dont correspond to midi formats -
problem 2: i cant translate this video and am not sure i would be able to carry this out Amiga_Tutorial_(convert Amiga midi med mod to PC Standar midi file)P3.flv

Do you have a PC only solution to handle amiga mod to midi conversion

do you know of a database of amiga midis by well know amiga demoscene musicians?

any help well appreciated

rgds

Dave J
dsjam

Post by dsjam »

how are you being able to convert the mod samples for use in midi please?
trace
Forum God
Forum God

Post by trace »

dsjam wrote:how are you being able to convert the mod samples for use in midi please?
I use modplug tracker and save the samples from the mod and import them into the program I use, in this case Reason.
(Carpe Diem Seize the day)
Soundcloud PowerTrace
c64-> /various/M-r/Noise_of_SID
dsjam

Post by dsjam »

Hi Dave... Try out Madtracker.

Its possible to export each instrument to a midi channel.
But you need to fix the Midifile with a Miditool because
not all Samples are sampled on Note C...

hope i could help you!

cheers,
daXX
dsjam

Post by dsjam »

Re: MOD/XM/S3M Support
by stephenhazel » 08-17-12 1:47 am

Well, I just found the archive of Amiga SoundTracker sounds !!
10,641 samples !! (but all mono 8 bit )

I found an archive of em converted to .WAV, too.
But the sample frequency was always 44,100 and there were no loop points
And so you wouldn't be able to USE em with, sayyy, your own hand coded softsynth.
Sooooooo, I dug out my ooooooold 8svx sample reading/writing code circa the '90s and
wrote a conversion program myself.

THAT is a satisfying thing to do
dsjam

Post by dsjam »

ust pulling out the notes won't be enough.
BUT, if your softsynth can load a .MOD's samples and use them as an instrument,
then you're in business.
The midi says play middle c for a whole note on program change 99.
The softsynth has loaded the .MOD sample and uses it for program change 99.
It sounds just like the .MOD, but maybe not quite due to fx.

stephenhazel

Scores
Re: MOD/XM/S3M Support
by Nicholas » 07-13-12 3:00 pm

Electrode wrote:
Think about it. If MOD to MIDI converters aren't perfect (and they can never be because of the above limitations), Synthesia's support of MOD and similar (SPC etc.) formats won't be either.

That seems reasonable though. Anyone that would want to play a .MOD in Synthesia would hopefully understand those limitations and what they mean, too. I'm not sure I'd worry too much about trying to "understand" what each sample meant in terms of it being a chord or whatever. Like you said: the best I could do is just show the notes. If the file happens to be amenable to the falling-note format, so be it.

Again, this is going to be a side, side, side project at some unspecified point far into the future.
Nicholas

Scores
aden

Post by aden »

2midi from ian luck comes to mind. (standard licence 15€) @ http://www.un4seen.com/

"2MIDI is a balls-on accurate MOD to MIDI file converter, it doesn't just stick the notes in a MIDI file. It also converts the effects and instrument info (volume/pan envelopes etc...) to make an exact MIDI copy of the MOD (assuming there are enough MIDI channels). 2MIDI supports the MOD / XM / IT / S3M / MTM file formats. "