New C64 samples for you... for free

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

New C64 samples for you... for free

Post by Razmo »

Hi everone :)

Last time I made a lot of Rob Hubbard percussion samples for you, sampled from THE REAL THING... this time it's Galway who has been ripped right off the SID 6581 R4AR, including the famous digi drums in Arkanoid and Game Over. Everything sampled by hand, and refined by hand. Most of the samples are FX since we all know that Galway was more of a "synth guy" than a percussionist... all sampled in 44.1KHz, 16bit.

I included a small demo using some of the drums also.

Enjoy.

http://razmo.ziphoid.com/C64%20-%20Mart ... amples.rar
Regards, Jess D. Skov-Nielsen (Razmo).
Dumper
Forum God
Forum God

Re: New C64 samples for you... for free

Post by Dumper »

Excellent, thanks for posting Razmo.
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

Awesome!!! this might just be the motivation to release a C64 Remix in 2012 :)
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

Glad you like 'em... I've got more sample packs comming in the future, so keep an eye out for them in here :) ... next batch will most likely be a collection of everything Daglish'.

I try to use a SID chip that most closely resemble what the artist originaly made their SID's on... especialy because of the filter, so for those Hubbard samples the last time, I used a revision 2 SID most of the time, since this is what it seemed that Hubbard used himself... a tune like Tarzan for example, og Dragon's lair sounds bad when using a more recent R3 or R4AR SID because of the filter... the melody of those specific tunes almost dies out totaly in the higher registers because of the filter, but on the R2 it sounds just right... basslines certainly sound different.

One thing I did not mention is, that both sample packs has been put through a hipassfilter at 30Hz with a 18db slope, simply to filter out all of that subbass content that is usualy present in the SID's initializing of it's sound engine... that "thump" has been carefuly removed to avoid clicks and thumps... also this allowed for the samples to gain a bit more level, as the lowfreq content sucked a lot of headroom right out of the sounds. This way you save the time and effort of placing a highpas filter yourself :lol:

A good tip when using the samples is to enhance them in some way... kicks can for example benefit A LOT from som lowend boost, as most kick drums on C64 is usualy quite boring. I did not do this on the samples themselves... you have to do something yourself too :wink: ...

Also, I'm using the HardSID 4U Studio Edition hardware for playing back the SID's when recording... seems to be the best out there for this purpose.
Commie_User
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Commie_User »

Absolutely marvellous stuff!

Care to take a listen to some of mine?

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8315

The C64 rules the roost but there's still much to be found with an old Sega.
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

I wish I had the time to play with all this great stuff...
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
Commie_User
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Commie_User »

Some very Atari and Commie-type sounds in my Sega pack. Imagine the mix-n-match with this one.
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

Thanks for the replies guys... I now see, that the demo I talked about initialy was not even there... nothing special, but it shows some of the sounds for those of you who want to take a listen before download (you probably already downloaded them by now he he). The melody is not SID... it's a Waldorf Pulse, but the rest is the Galway samples... including all the "farts" tweaked on a KORG ESX-1 :lol: :

http://razmo.ziphoid.com/C64-GalwayDemo.mp3
Commie_User
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Commie_User »

The melody is not SID...
As long as it works....

The example on my own sample page wasn't all SID. But it all blended - so much I can't remember where the SID ends and the Roland VSTi starts.
madfiddler
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by madfiddler »

Have you still got the Rubbard percussion to download somewhere?

Thanks for the pack - demo sounds awesome!
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

madfiddler wrote:Have you still got the Rubbard percussion to download somewhere?

Thanks for the pack - demo sounds awesome!
Sure, I've uploaded them again and can be found here:

http://razmo.ziphoid.com/C64%20-%20Rob% ... amples.rar

Reason I deleted them in the first place was, that I did not want to take up too much server space on Ziphoids server, but now so many have asked for them since then, that I believe I better upload them again and let them stay there for future downloads.

Look out for future sample-packs... next will be a Daglish pack...

Also, if anyone know of a particular artist that has really special sounding percussion generaly, then let me know the name and I'll check out if a pack could be interresting. it's logical, that I cannot cover all artists, or I'd die before ever finished, so I have to be selective when making these.

My first intention was nostalgica, so the early composers that "ring a bell" will certainly be done at some time (Hubbard, Galway, Daglish, Whitaker, Grey etc.).
madfiddler
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by madfiddler »

Nice one, thanks Razmo :)