Fred Grey's Mutants (remix)

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Fred Grey's Mutants (remix)

Post by Razmo »

Hi... I'm currently working on a remix of Fred's Mutants that I've always liked... a lot of the tune I actually do NOT like, but the initial wobbling arpeggiating sequence has always struck me as very organic and gives a good mood for something "biological"... so I have taken some of the better parts of this tune, and mixed it with something of my own.

Tell me what you think about it...

http://razmo.ziphoid.com/Mutants_Remix.mp3
I recreated the arpeggiated sequence with a preset I made from scratch using an Oberheim Matrix-1000. Other instruments include; Dave Smith Instruments Evolver, Yamaha FS1R, KORG ESX-1 SD, Waldorf Microwave, Waldorf Pulse, Vermona M.A.R.S., E-MU E5000 Ultra, Dave Smith Instruments Tetra and Roland MKS-30... so it's mostly analog in some way.
Regards, Jess D. Skov-Nielsen (Razmo).
Commie_User
Forum God
Forum God

Re: Fred Grey's Mutants (remix)

Post by Commie_User »

Inventive.
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

Great start.

I used to play this one on a loop for hours on end. :)

I don't know what your plans are for this track, but if I were to give any kind of advice is what I like about the original version is that near the end the main Lead synths are like almost talking to each other and they have this open space airy feel to them.
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

Analog-X64 wrote:Great start.

I used to play this one on a loop for hours on end. :)

I don't know what your plans are for this track, but if I were to give any kind of advice is what I like about the original version is that near the end the main Lead synths are like almost talking to each other and they have this open space airy feel to them.
My plans are, that it should be a very different type of tune than the original, cause as I wrote, I really don't like much of the main melody as I think it sounds a bit "inharmonic" at times with weird bass-notes running weirdly up and down...

I often find this to be a problem with Grey's tunes... they start out extremely good to my ears, then suddenly change into something I don't really like, and then suddenly it's good again and so forth.

The melodypart at the end in the demo are one of the exeptions, and there are several more parts that I do like that will find it's way into this one.

I wanted a relaxed tune to begin with... but the melody sort of calls for more energy, so it'll probably switch between different moods (as it does now already). I'll be listening to "the end" as you wrote ANX64, and see if I can "get the feeling" you are talking about.

Point is, that this tune is normaly best for a rock'ish type of guitar tune (as it was played on bit live), but I don't like, nor have the skill to make rock tunes :lol:

In essense, what I want to make, is a tune that would be playable at the game start scene of the Wii game Metroid for example... I picture microscopic germs and mutant cells multiplying when I hear that sequence in the beginning, and that's the mood it sets for me.
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

Razmo wrote: My plans are, that it should be a very different type of tune than the original, cause as I wrote, I really don't like much of the main melody as I think it sounds a bit "inharmonic" at times with weird bass-notes running weirdly up and down...
I was hesitating writing my original post, because I understood you are taking the track in a different direction, but at the same time I was wondering if you were going to do anything with the happens near the end of the original track :)
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

Analog-X64 wrote:
Razmo wrote: My plans are, that it should be a very different type of tune than the original, cause as I wrote, I really don't like much of the main melody as I think it sounds a bit "inharmonic" at times with weird bass-notes running weirdly up and down...
I was hesitating writing my original post, because I understood you are taking the track in a different direction, but at the same time I was wondering if you were going to do anything with the happens near the end of the original track :)
I actually like the last part of the tuner better than the beginning (after the lead in), so I believe it should be in there when I get to it... it is especially the part right after the startup that I don't like... that's why it's skipped in the demo with something of my own actually :)
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

Besides, I've gotten some thoughts from another forum I'm visiting that has nothing with C64 to do... and as I've been thinking about this tune a lot, the initial start of this original tune is what I like, and not really like it when the melody starts... this seem to be the case with others as well, so I'm strongly thinking about removing the jazzy/funky groovy melodyline and take this somewhere else totaly, but still with hints of the original.

What would you say about that? would this be blasphemy, or still "inventive" :D

I noticed you ANX64, writing, that the start was good... no mention of the melodyline, was that just to be polite, or what do you guys think about the melody-part of this? would it be best to keep a relaxed and organic spacy style throughout, or is the sudden change a good thing?

Just hit me with critique, that's why I post it preliminary here, to hear some honest suggestions :)
AndyUK
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by AndyUK »

For me the tune as it stands is pretty cool. I've always felt the mutants tune would be like looking into a petri-dish, watching stuff spiral around and around, talking, bouncing off each other and walls, until that moment where everything just stops... and then that first 'thing' is created.. May be dramatic but, it's a better way of looking at it than "he just slapped it together' heh.. The English teacher approach if you will..

The melody at the start is the bubbly phase where everything is just swirling around.. and everything else hangs off that.. It sounds good to my ears Razmo, the funk/jazz groove helps to emphasize the rhythmic pulse of the "cell's", just need that........er...er.. 'That elusive ingredient, that... spark that is the breath of life..' :whip: .. ( the c64 version does this around the 50second mark.. ) I would really try and make a point of punching the tune in in your version at that point..

Either way, I personally like the sound of this, it's a version that real easy on the ears, just flows organically along and sounds good.. Keep at it pal, whatever you're doing, keep doing it..
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

Razmo wrote: I noticed you ANX64, writing, that the start was good... no mention of the melodyline, was that just to be polite
00-30 - Kick ass intro

31-1:01 Nice flow, calming.

1:12 This part is where Razmo is doing his magic, the mood and feeling of the original lives here. :cheers:

I try not to say too much, others will have better technical input than I do.

Looking forward to the finished version.
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

AndyUK wrote: Either way, I personally like the sound of this, it's a version that real easy on the ears, just flows organically along and sounds good.. Keep at it pal, whatever you're doing, keep doing it..
Exactly what Andy said... :cheers:
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

Thanks you two... It's comments like these that makes you want to continue with enhanced enthusiasm :) ... that was just what I needed to hear.

Anyways, I want this tune to tease the listener... actually from an idear I've had for some time... you know, just playing a bit of a melody everyone knows, but then abruptly change it into something else, as I do when the EP like melody begins after the first break... it starts by playing a short part of the tune, but then change it... I'm not sure how this works, if it irritates too much or something...

Anyways, as said, it's an idear I once had... taking lots of parts from different C64 scores, mixing them together, but as soon as people THINK they hear the start of a familiar tune, it changes... provocative I know, but it would be fun to try out later.

anyways... I'm on this one again now... I'll finish it.
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

The link above has been updated.

I added some vibrato on the lead synths to make them sound less sterile on sustained notes, which I think works better, and then I added another passage of the tune that I like.
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

Added more to it... it's about it's full length now I'd say... still need an ending and a lot of touchup.

Link above updated.
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

Great work!
Astrogat

Post by Astrogat »

Very nice :)