I'm a happy man today!

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

I'm a happy man today!

Post by Razmo »

:nod:

Never had a MOOG in my life... today this changed... it will be interresting to see, if this means that my trusty Waldorf Pulse will have a bass contender from now on... surely will find it's way into some future remixes for the scene... thoughts about the next remix is already on the table.

Peace. (f*ck Illuminati)
Regards, Jess D. Skov-Nielsen (Razmo).
Commie_User
Forum God
Forum God

Re: I'm a happy man today!

Post by Commie_User »

Fantastic stuff.

But don't keep it all to yourself from the off... any chance of a few jingles then?
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

I'll see what I can doo :) ... but what did you have in mind? loops? singe note instrument samples?
Commie_User
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Commie_User »

I suppose just do what I do and fiddle at random. Guaranteed works for me and a bit of instant improv often beats brainstorming:

My Sega samples:

Tryout of my Commodore samples: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7594
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

Commie_User wrote:I suppose just do what I do and fiddle at random. Guaranteed works for me and a bit of instant improv often beats brainstorming:

My Sega samples:

Tryout of my Commodore samples: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7594
OK... here is the result:

http://razmo.ziphoid.com/SlimPhattyDemo.mp3

I'll let it stay up for a week, then delete it again, as it takes about 27MB of space on Ziphoids server.

It's just some random fiddling around with the 100 factory patches of the Slim Phatty, so don't expect anything wild :lol: ... some known riffs should pop up from now and then throughout the improvisation.'It's mono... as the SlimPhatty is mono out only, and it's recorded dry without any kind of external processing... just the Slim...

After playing it for a few days, I think the sound is closest to my Waldorf Pulse... it's resonance is more pronounced, and the filter definitely more creamy... it's definitely a bass contender to the Pulse, but I'd not get rid of my Pulse anyways... they have different character as a bass heavy synth.

The reason for me to get this in the first place was the filter itself... that MOOG sound. I'm a big fan of the group Redshift that use an old MOOG Modular system for their bass sequences, and just THAT sound... it delivers that perfectly.
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

A few days ago, I also managed to find one of these and have the seller reserve it for me for next month:

This is a 4 pole analog lowpass filter with VCA and panning... and all is fully MIDI capable with presets and all. Basically it's a synthesizer without any oscillators. It has Envelopes and modulation that can control both filter and VCA as well as panning. All you need to do is trigger it either via MIDI or Audio input. It's an older CEM Curtis filterchip like the one Waldorf used in their Microwave 1 series synthesizers.

Actualy I've got more than enough synth so why this? ... because I want to make an electronic project that feature some 8bit digital oscillators to use for it's audio input. it's an idear I've had for some time. Many synths have analog inputs that can route the audio through its filters and VCA, but personaly I very rarely use these inputs since I don't use anything with them, so I thought that why not make a kind of oscillator only synth to use with a variety of other synths out there?

By konnekting this device in series with the synth in question (through MIDI), and then connect it's output to the synths audio input, you can practically consider this device as part of the synthesizer, and use my device as "extra oscillators".

This is why I want this Miniworks machine, since it's perfect for the project.

The electronic project will just be using a simple microcontroller with a homebrew DAC converter. The good thing about this is, that it need only focus on doing oscillators... filters and VCA (and other things) will be the synthesizers it uses that take care of that part. This leaves a lot af MCU resourcers free for oscillator code instead... more complex ones etc.

I will call this device "Parasite", since that's basically what it does... leeches itself to the synth, using it's filters and VCA. The "Parasite" is then to be tailored to different synths along the way... also the sound of the Parasite's oscillators will be 8-bit, rough and "uncombed" full with anti aliasing, dirt and grit... and the oscillator algorithms; only the MCU sets the limits. But with 10 million instructions per second, something interresting should be possible.

Actually the Slim Phatty would be useable for this project as well, as it has an Audio Input and is MIDI controllable.
Commie_User
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Commie_User »

Sounds good. Reminds me of the C64.... Twiddles on the keyboard this may be but it's still superior to the 'works' of Stockhausen or Penderecki... it's actually music.

I'm glad you gave it an airing. A Moog doesn't have to wait 'til a proper session does it? George Harrison didn't think so when he bought his, but when he released the Electronic Sound Moog noise LP, he soon found himself in trouble with the guy whose own random stabs he recorded...

http://www.beatlesbible.com/1968/11/12/ ... nic-sound/

I found my copy and it's so bad it can only rival stuff by the avant-garde. I certainly appreciate now how old 'art' records could double as sample banks but a while ago I thought they were a dreadful waste of money and terribly lazy. The Walter Carlos records certainly did the Moog justice and there was a REAL master at work whose records any synth fan would know.

I've had a Roland JX3, JD800, Yamaha DJX 2 and plenty of VSTs to get this kind of sound. Excellent when cheap or free but I still appreciate the real hardware and all it means.

Now why not try MIDI chaining your Moog and a Commodore...?
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

It could be fun to chain a MOOG and a sammichSID for example... both ways actualy to hear how the sid sounds with the moog filter and VCA (a working VCA envelope), but also the other way around... hear the MOOG through the SID filters.

In fact, the idear of using a real SID chip in the PARASITE project has also crossed my mind, since this would allow me to get around the SID's buggy envelopes which really IS a pain in the but, because you cannot get around the bug when playing live without latency that to me is unacceptable for live playing, and even with that, it's still buggy... if SID was chained through another synths VCA like that, it would solve the problem... I'd rather make a project with a full fledged SID synth (as I started some time ago actualy, but shelved again for a while), but not until I've learned how to construct a true analog VCA for it's output, so that I can get around that irritating Envelope bug in the SID. Until then, nothing I could build would be something the sammichSID can do already, so there is no point really.

I did make a crude VCA by using a digital potmeter for the SID project, but unfortunately it distorts the SID's output when at it's loudest which I don't know how to solve yet, so I'll wait until I get some more experience with electronics... still just a beginning amateur.

May happen some day :)
Commie_User
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Commie_User »

Sounds like a plan to me. Myself, I never noticed any SID handicaps. But given the Atari paddles and Commodulator are enough for me, I wouldn't. Pitchbend on a keyboard is my usual limit, unless a SID plugin can be asked to run its own filters or aftertouch as I play.