Back to it.. And some help identifying a tune

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
AndyUK
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Back to it.. And some help identifying a tune

Post by AndyUK »

After a busy 10 weeks with the secondborn, finally getting time to play a bit.. ( sighh, colic, allergies and midnight feeds aside ) . Picked up an old Awe32 at a garage sale and scored a bonus EMU sampler soundfont CD for 5 bucks so finally getting to use some nice sounds.. Anyways, I've had this tune in my head for a while and finally got round to starting it, but damn me I can't get another one out of there .. The first piece of this is what I want to do, but the last few bars I'm pretty sure comes from a C64 track.. Can anyone shed some light for me please!! :duh: before it drives me insane.

Any help would be appreciated..
Commie_User
Forum God
Forum God

Re: Back to it.. And some help identifying a tune

Post by Commie_User »

That last bit is familiar. Whatever you've heard it from, you've heard it. It's a common rhythm and I've heard it on records, TV, you name it. Just use it and keep an abrupt cut-off in there too.

AWE 32 and EMU, eh? I just love the period sound of it. Any chance of one or two samples of the sounds you used?
AndyUK
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by AndyUK »

Commie, I bought the awe just for the EMU SFont disk heh.. It's an Awe32 value edition, lacking the SIMM slots, and to be fair It'll end up in the garbage.. I had an Awe wayyy back, then swapped it out for a Sb16 with DB50 attached to it's waveblaster connector. But the Emu soundfonts are a little gem..A really nice selection ( probably only 20 soundfonts but they sound great )
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

AndyUK wrote:Commie, I bought the awe just for the EMU SFont disk heh.. It's an Awe32 value edition, lacking the SIMM slots, and to be fair It'll end up in the garbage.. I had an Awe wayyy back, then swapped it out for a Sb16 with DB50 attached to it's waveblaster connector. But the Emu soundfonts are a little gem..A really nice selection ( probably only 20 soundfonts but they sound great )
Wait!!! dont trash it. See if it has the YFM Sound chip on it... we can salvage it for a DIY synth.
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
AndyUK
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by AndyUK »

Not sure if garbage is it's destination, We have an old P3 downstairs that I'd like to have to run Mame on, and let little'un do with what she will. Picked up a matrox Millenium too, but that ( after I got it home ) turned out to be some custom compac thing with an additional section in the edge connector ? must be a custom thing to the machine it came from. Like her to have her cheap ass keyboard ( that has midi ports ) connected as well .. we'll see.. If I don't it's yours.! :D
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

AndyUK wrote:Not sure if garbage is it's destination, We have an old P3 downstairs that I'd like to have to run Mame on, and let little'un do with what she will. Picked up a matrox Millenium too, but that ( after I got it home ) turned out to be some custom compac thing with an additional section in the edge connector ? must be a custom thing to the machine it came from. Like her to have her cheap ass keyboard ( that has midi ports ) connected as well .. we'll see.. If I don't it's yours.! :D
Ok well I'm going to be in your area on May 10th at the computer museum.

I can bring you 1 or 2 computers that would be perfect for MAME and as well I may have some more Sound cards for you which don't have the YFM chip on it. :)
AndyUK
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by AndyUK »

Nice!!.. I'll be dropping by there myself I think, It's the clearout sale this time round? Besides, that little ZXSpectrum they have there needs some loving from a fellow countryman.. :nod:

Catch you there?
Commie_User
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Commie_User »

Go get that Spectrum.

It's always worth having a few funny bits. A Roland DJX 2 keyboard and old copies of Ejay were just vaguely obsolete things in my house not so long ago. But now there's real period flavour, even if you don't like the styles they were designed for.

Affordable Home Tech certainly coming of age. Even so, I'm surprised studio pros used to use it:

2000: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JI4EamrbIFE

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec00/a ... ahadjx.asp

But anyway, once again, great tune. Let's hear it finished sometime.
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

AndyUK wrote:Nice!!.. I'll be dropping by there myself I think, It's the clearout sale this time round? Besides, that little ZXSpectrum they have there needs some loving from a fellow countryman.. :nod:

Catch you there?
May 10th is the bi-monthly meetings I attend in relation to the I.T. work that I do. Its in the evening. I can just meet you somewhere and hand over the goods.

The museum does have spring cleanup where they sell extra stock of hardware/software, which is usually on a Saturday. If I can make it to the next spring cleanup I'll let you know.

I'll get in touch with you as we get closer to May 10th.
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

I loved my DB50XG...
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

Yeah... that FM chip on the older cards is useful if you want to make a MIDI Box FM synth... but as far as I remember, the value edition had the FM chip as software? ... it's just about that time they switched from the hardware chip to software I recall. But not just the FM chip is valuable, also the DAC chip on the card along with the FM chip is needed for that MIDI Box FM synth.

I made that FM synth years back, but shelved it after testing it out... nice synth though.
Regards, Jess D. Skov-Nielsen (Razmo).