Music notes for video games

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
TNT
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Music notes for video games

Post by TNT »

Is anybody out there knowing a website concerning music notes from video games?
It takes too long to find out all the little notes from fast and complicated tunes from video games. There are some tunes I wanted to remix, but I stuck getting the right notes from a few sections. And there's nothing worse than wrong notes in a remix, as you might know... So maybe there's a little help out there in the big world wide web?

The only website I've found is a midi website called VGMusic, but there are just a couple of midi tunes in there. Way too little. And apart from that I haven't figured out yet how to handle midi tunes in my program.
Last edited by TNT on 04/07/2012 - 0:01, edited 1 time in total.
Commie_User
Forum God
Forum God

Re: Music notes for video games

Post by Commie_User »

I don't think there's any site. You'll have to do your own research.

Download SID2MIDI, which will help you get to grips with tricky SIDs: http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=56322

Convert, import to your DAW and get inside them. Have a read of the back discussions: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8063

viewtopic.php?t=4304
Last edited by Commie_User on 03/07/2012 - 22:02, edited 3 times in total.
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

Maybe there is a need for such a site :)

It all the depends on the platform. You can get software that can play back from any platform and display notes etc..
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
TNT
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by TNT »

Well, all right. Then I'll have to figure it out by ear, as I always did it before. Or I'll check out the tool sid2midi, but first of all I must have to take a look at my program and find out how to import midi files. Maybe I should do this, because things are getting much easier if I do so, right?!

@Analog-X64:
Do you mean something like that?

I don't know any tools of that kind, because I haven't ever had the need to use such tools.
Do you have any links?
Commie_User
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Commie_User »

Your sequencer (Cubase, Samplitude, etc.) will let you import a MIDI track and display it as piano roll or notation so you can have a look. Other people have extracted Commodore game music and stored them in SID files, which are the ones you convert. In the process you lose many vital sound effects and such. But at least you see the actual composition.

And it's often good enough to just stay loyal to the sound rather than reproduce bits exactly. Though that can depend on the project.
TNT
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by TNT »

Absolutely! I don't want to create Remakes, I want to create Remixes. It's just a little help to get the right notes quicker. I don't have the time to figure it out for hours, because I need 36 hours a day for all the things I want to do, but unfortunately there are only 24... :?

I tried Sid2Midi and have to say that Sid2Midi is not perfect (it seems that some tracks are getting lost while converting, but maybe it's just my program), but for me it gets the job done. Is there a similar prorgram for all the Amiga formats, too? I've found a program called Mod2Midi, but haven't used it yet. Maybe you already know it.
trace
Forum God
Forum God

Post by trace »

When I do amiga remixes I use Modplugtracker, there you can save the mod as midi and it works like a charm :D
You can also save the samples from the mod.

When I do amiga remixes I first do the entire mod track in midi as it sounds as if it is a mod file. Then I remix it :D

EDIT: You can see one of my remixes here :D
(Carpe Diem Seize the day)
Soundcloud PowerTrace
c64-> /various/M-r/Noise_of_SID