Steelchambers2 U-220 remake

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
Saga Musix
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Steelchambers2 U-220 remake

Post by Saga Musix »

Steelchambers2 (Pinball Fantasies intro) is my childhood. I've heard so many remixes and all of them were crap (IMHO). It's hard to beat one's childhood memories with a remix! But maybe a high-quality remake in the style of "this is what it could have sounded like if the Amiga allowed for higher-quality samples..." could do it? Well, here we go: Most samples in Steelchambers2 are from the Roland U-220. I sampled them from the original ROMpler and imported them into the original module, tweaked it here and there... Well, I'm still doing that as we speak, and I'm not sure if I'm going to finish this, but it has been fun to identify all the original sounds nevertheless. This is still Olof's original tune, but with higher-quality stereo versions of the samples and some multichannel tweaks (I put every instrument into its own channel for more control).

So here's a WIP. Sounds best in OpenMPT. If you're not using OpenMPT, disable interpolation so that the remaining original samples still sound crispy.
(edit: replace with link to final version) http://sagamusix.de/download/steelchambers2/

Maybe someone can shed some light on the sources of the drum sounds and sample 17? It would be cool to have those in higher quality as well.
I'm also not quite sure about the Fantasia + SynVox combination. It's "kind of" correct, but doesn't sound exactly the same.
Last edited by Saga Musix on 31/08/2013 - 22:25, edited 2 times in total.
daXX
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Re: Steelchambers2 U-220 remake

Post by daXX »

Nice rebuilding SagaMusix! :)

Good, that i've started my remix for that tune ago some weeks. In hope you'll get finaly a remix which is not crap iyo. :P
Saga Musix
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by Saga Musix »

That sounds quite epic, I'm pleasantly surprised. :) Maybe some strings that are more in spirit of the original string sample would be even better.
I've updated the first post to also include an ogg conversion of my preview.
Commie_User
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Commie_User »

I wonder how great that would sound with a real orchestra.
Saga Musix
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by Saga Musix »

Update: Identified and replaced the drums, they are from the Roland R-8. Now I think this remake is close to being finished. Unless someone notices something where it accidentally sounds very different from the original...